Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• exwitless
    exwitless

Hey, this is under Jokes and Humor, so don't get too offended.

I just wanted to vent about how people say things incorrectly, such as pronouncing things wrong or saying phrases wrong. I'll start, and if you have any to add, please feel free. Also, I'd love to know that I'm not the only one who notices these things and is bothered by them. Here goes...

1) "I could care less." NO!!! It's "I couldn't care less." If you could care less, you would. When you say "I couldn't care less", you mean that you care so little that you couldn't possibly care any less than you do.

2) "The point is mute." NO!! It's "The point is moot." Moot, meaning irrelevant, of no practical importance. Not mute, meaning without sound.

3) "Valentimes Day." NO!! It's "Valentines Day."

I know there are more. I'll add them if I think of them. Anyone else want to vent?

• Scully
    Scully

exwitless.... my new best friend and a kindred spirit!!!

By any chance, have you read the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves (The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation), by Lynne Truss? You'll probably enjoy it as much as I do.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Thanks for backing me up. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who notices things like that. Nope, I've never heard of the book, but I'll take check it out!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

When a person leaves the Watchtower Society he does not leave 'The Truth'! He never was in the truth!

Outaservice

• Nellie
    Nellie

One of my favorites: irregardless! There is no such word - it's regardless - adding ir before doesn't make it any more less, it just makes you sound stupid to those of us who know!

What about conversate - WHAT - the word is converse folks - no one conversates, they converse and have conversations!

• Nellie
    Nellie

Good one Out!

• exwitless
    exwitless

OOH! I just thought of another one...

"Your child should bring their backpack tomorrow." NO!!! It should be "Your child should bring his or her backpack tomorrow."

• exwitless
    exwitless
    One of my favorites: irregardless! There is no such word - it's regardless

Good one. I almost put that one myself!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

They came in like groves of sheep. . .!!! I keep telling the man that oranges come in groves, sheep or people are in droves. After the first time you can't even blame ignorance!

• Scully
    Scully

"Your child should bring their backpack tomorrow." NO!!! It should be "Your child should bring his or her backpack tomorrow."

I will often use "their" or "them" when I am referring to an unnamed singular subject so as guard the anonymity of the person to whom I am referring. It seems to be a more popular (and less awkward) way to maintain a gender-neutral subject, in this current age of gender equality.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/austheir.html#X1x

One thing that gets my hackles up is seeing there, their, and they're being misused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit