Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• exwitless
    exwitless

Oh my.. I just happened to read this post from Jeffro which he posted yesterday:

If you could care less, then why don't you? The correct expression is "I couldn't care less", as in 'my degree of caring is already as low as possible'. It wouldn't bother me, except that the illogical and incorrect mangling of the phrase seems to be growing in popularity.

Thank you so much!!!

• hubert
    hubert

I happen to be "pretty good" at spelling, so I like to "pick apart" mispelled words, just for laughs. However, I'm not immune to making spelling mistakes, and have a bad case of "comma-itis".

It's fun, anyway.....or is it anyways?

Hubert

• exwitless
    exwitless

It's fun, anyway.....or is it anyways?

"Irregardless" of how you say it, the point is "mute". "Anyways", "I could care less"!

• hubert
    hubert

My father-in-law, (rest his soul), was a french-canadian. Along with his strong french accent, he had his way of putting the "accent" on the wrong syllable, a common thing for older french people, I believe, because of the french to english translation that they would come up with.

For Medicine... he would pronounce it ....Mediseen.

For wagon....he would say Woegan. and so on.

I loved it !! It was unique to him, and I occasionally say these words as he used to, just to remind me of him. (I hope I didn't insult any cannucks out there. I am french, too, but can't speak a word of it). Sure wish I could. I love the language, and the people, too.

Oh Canada, Oh Canada !!

Merci.......Hubert

• Scully
    Scully

More times than I have been able to keep track, I have seen signs at the grocery store like this:

Egg's $1.99/doz

What can an egg possess??? (besides a shell, a "white" - shouldn't that be "clear", or a yolk?)

• zagor
    zagor

If the head of state makes such blunders you can hardly expect ordinary citizens to be any better

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/Bush_Speech_Mishaps.htm

By the way, whom do you think Homer was quoting?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I will often use "their" or "them" when I am referring to an unnamed singular subject so as guard the anonymity of the person to whom I am referring. It seems to be a more popular (and less awkward) way to maintain a gender-neutral subject, in this current age of gender equality.

Irregardless of what anyone says, I am impressed.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Egg's $1.99/doz

What can an egg possess??? (besides a shell, a "white" - shouldn't that be "clear", or a yolk?)

I see this mistake quite often, and it makes me upset every time I see it. Correcting grammar and spelling are two of my pastimes because I used to edit the school newspaper. At times I wonder if I could've been a proofreader; it would've been a cakewalk due to my occasional perfectionism.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

one that always kills me, (and I see it a great deal in my profession), is prevenTATive. It's preventive, people! arrghh!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I was working with a colleague today and she said "member when you did such and such". When did we stop saying "remember", its not like it gets us quicker to our destination if we say "member" instead of "remember". I catch myself saying it as well. But of course when I gave my friend grief, I never fessed up to that.

Also, when did "funner" become a word. WTF! I know I have been out of school for a while, but when news agencies start using it in story lines, I am greatly disturbed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit