Can we talk? . . .

by exwitless 107 Replies latest social humour

• Scully
    Scully

Sir Nose just reminded me of another pet peeve:

should of, could of, or would of: NO! It's "should have", contracted to should've; "could have", contracted to could've; and "would have", contracted to would've.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Speaking of the apostrophe in Egg's... (agh!) I just cringe when I see random quotation marks around words in a sign, put there for emphasis! Mostly seen on hand-painted signs at roadside stands...

"FRESH" Produce!!! "Low" Prices! "Genuine" Artifacts!

Jeez Louise, the quotation marks crack me up. If only they knew what they truly accomplished with those signs!!!

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    I happen to be "pretty good" at spelling, so I like to "pick apart" mispelled words, just for laughs.

Please don't hate me, but you misspelled "misspelled".

Y'all have hit on some of my favorites. It bugs me when people don't know the difference between "you're" and "your" and when they write "could of, would of, should of" instead of "could have, etc."

I think 95% of the posts on this board have some error or another (grammar/spelling/punctuation), but I've just had to learn to look past that and consider the actual content of what's been posted instead of the presentation. To be brutally honest, though, when a person can't put a coherent sentence together, I have a very difficult time taking anything they say seriously. We can't all fall back on dyslexia.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Possessors of the Pure Language,

Don Adams commended me after my prayer on behalf of the Bethel family. I asked Jehovah to forgive us when we "err." The pronunciation is "ur," as in fur. Most everyone says "air." His commendation was on correct pronunciation, not content.

Speaking of pronunciation, one evening our school overseer highlighted the importance of proper "pronounciation."

Supposably

Ruffed grouse [not "ruffled"] --this comes up every so often.

Serving God with hearty [not hardy] purpose.

They're over there, seated at their table. Just look at them! The two of them are too good to say hello!

On the aeroplane, crossing the Pacific: "I need to stretch. I'll just walk down the aisle and peer out the window at the isle below."

Incongruious

CoCo Could Care Less [HA!]

• Mystla
    Mystla

My favorite is "eXpresso" instead of "espresso." I guess they say it that way because the caffeine makes them go faster.

I must be feeling brave to post on a thread about spelling and pronunciation. I'm lousy at both How did that go? Something about a rafter in my eye?

Misty

• XU
    XU

I've seen a t-shirt you would like. It says: "Bad grammar makes me [sic]" ha ha. I have a habit of correcting extra "'" when I see them on fliers or on signs in places of business. I used to correct notes that I got from my friends at school or at the hall. Anal.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Pure Language, continued .....

A matter "piques" - not "peaks" - your interest.

When a word or phrase is being used with a special or ironical meaning, it is set off with quotation marks OR the words SO-CALLED. To refer to a disreputable woman as a SO-CALLED "lady" is incorrect [grammatically speaking]. Lose the SO-CALLED or lose the quotation marks. One or the other.

accompanist, not accompanyist

all together/altogether: When we are all together, we have an altogether [wholly, thoroughly] wonderful time.

I have implicit [not explicit] trust in you.

CoCo

• Scully
    Scully

Auxiliary is NOT pronounced ox ill er airy or ax ill airy Hearing that at the KH was like grating fingernails on a chalkboard. There are two correct pronunciations.

Another one that drives me nuts is when ask is pronounced as ax or aks. I hear it frequently on TV in interviews and it makes me want to switch the channel. There was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond featuring this linguistic foible. Sometimes I wonder if this particular error is North America's version of a shibboleth.

they would tell him, "Say the word [shibboleth]." If the fugitive would say [sibboleth], because he couldn't pronounce the word correctly, they would grab him and kill him at the shallow crossings of the Jordan River. At that time 42,000 men from Ephraim died. ~ Judges 12:6
  • compound complex
    compound complex

More------------------

The father IMPLIES by his disapproving looks that he is angry with his son. The son INFERS that he better not ask for the keys to the car tonight.

I will ACCEPT your offer of full use of the house, EXCEPT for that one room.

These new measures will EFFECT important changes that will AFFECT mankind favorably. The EFFECT of the changes will become apparent over time. [in psychology "affect" denotes a feeling or emotion; otherwise, it is always a verb; "effects" means personal possessions]

Sleight [not slight] of hand

Zoology --- zo-ol-o-gy [zo - long "o"]; the word is not zoo-ology.

CoCo

• Nellie
    Nellie

I love the way accents effect the way certain words are pronounced. A few of my favorites are:

Jehover (for Jehovah) - sangwich (for sandwich) - Bictor (for Victor) - chew (for you)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit