Saddam executed

by frozen one 101 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

LT, What are your thoughts about the BIbical Laws on Stoning to death. Is this barbaric? Does' this law come from Jehovah or man. What about Jesus, tie a millstone around his neck and cast him into the sea, bararic or not. I agree that lethal Injection is more humane. Burning in Hell for an eternity, barbaric or not? Just asking, not arguing the belief systems of anyone. Trying to make sense of capital punishment and how to punish the bad guys.

Blueblades

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Katie,

With the all the best intentions :

Now I think hanging is way too humane for him. I really do. Theres nothing that could even begin to balance the evil he has done. Even dunking him in one of his own acid vats, subjecting him to his own chemical attacks, sticking him in his own torture chamber Abu Ghareb, (which we have now shamefully taken over with enthusiasm) would be too good for him.

Is this what passes for 'grown up' thinking in your estimation? The introduction of retribution and revenge into a justice system will always diminish it. If you can provide empirical evidence that 'an eye for an eye' sort of justice actually serves society in any way, I will be more than willing to read it. At the most base part of my heart I am a believer in the 'Nicolae Ceausescu' school of political accountability, but my animal reactions will never overcome my intelligence. If that were to happen, then all is lost.

I will admit to being suprised at your comments on this thread, as I understand that you are a teacher? Are you comments above what you would be proud for your students to read?

As to the IQ quip, introduced by Justice One, well sometimes ad hominem is the very best response to inanity and mediocrity of thought, of which numerous examples exist on this board, including the one quoted above. Mediocrity of thought is not of course a crime, but when worn proudly and in ignorance, it does tend to become a target.

Dignifying stupidity with anything but an ad hominem reaction is futile in such circumstances. Why should opinions that are obviously ill-founded, badly researched, morally incompetent and snatched from the most embryonic of thoughts be taken seriously enough to deserve proper debate? One looks at the pattern of a posters comments and knows roughly where the brain lies, and some persons who carry a clear agenda with them, like Justice One, are not open to debate and not here to learn.

HS

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Was anyone else surprised at how fast this execution happened? I guess I'm used to the seven plus years it takes for American "justice" to be meted out (lest we hang an innocent dictator).

And Hillary, (BTW, you have an interesting screen name. It seems to fit your personality....I for one would not have picked a name that reminds all of the Village Idiot)

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you hate mountain climbers?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The US Army had a manual for hanging for years.... The diameter of rope and the 13 wrap "hangmans" knot are meant to break the victims neck. The amount of free drop is determined by the victimes weight. Rope to short..victim suffocates...to long ... tears the head off. When done properly military hanging is fairly humane.

Demise of despots..my observations.

Hitler... knowing that Stalin will use his head for a bookend the head Kraut caps self in head and has croonies burn his body outside his bunker.... Has his chica do the same. Chiken-shit if you ask me. should have fought like a man, leading the last charge. That would have secured some street credit for martrydom.

Goering. Gets captured fair and square. Snarls through a trial and is convictedof war crimes. Somehow gets enough cyanide to end his own life before he dangles in the prison basement. Shows a litle class, but ya'll probably never think about the guy... So much for martrydom.

Now Sadam..what a bad ass. Runs like a screaming 12 year old girl. Gets caught in a hole looking worse than the guy under the El train tracks who wants to wash your car window.

Plays the nutso card all the way during his trial.. At least he was classy enough to waive the hood and stepped into the noose like a man. Probably the only brave thing the SOB ever did.

At least in Hell he will know a few folks.

~HIl

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

HempLover,

I don't understand what you mean by this. Do you hate mountain climbers?

No, Justice One is just giving us an example of his high IQ....again.....lol

HS

• re:Pete
    re:Pete

[This is going to be my first post. Let's see how this thing works ....]

Yes, Saddam was a monster. But execution reveals a great deal of barbarism present in a government and people who champion it. Murder is murder. How much more civilized it would have been to keep him locked away for his remaining years. The loss of freedom is the greatest punishment.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I shake my head at the glee anyone would find in watching a person hang. I do believe in the death penalty but I also believe that lethal injection is more humane. Now we are subject to the constant, days on end pictures of a skeleton with a rope on it's neck with a view over and again as to how the neck is twisted and how long it all takes ad nauseum. Days on end of showing a man walking to the noose. Hearing it on the news. The man will be a martyr for many and already countries are standing up to show where their allegience is. Lybia has declared 3 days of mourning now. With almost a million Iraqi's dead, missing or refugee's since this war started, more and more people are questioning how, why and when it will all end. Saddam was a butcher, but until his capture the number of those same dead, missing and fleeing was far less. There were no suicide bombers until the war. Civil unrest was kept under control. Women at least could go to universities and not be afraid of death squads. The damage is so bad now, the cost in dollars just to repair the infrastructure itself is beyond what the USA can hand over - so now what? Which was it we wanted - WMD? Democracy? Saddam? Oil? Terrorists? ...who even knows any longer? By the way - Turkmenistan is apparently going to be the next up and coming hot spot now and they have more oil and gas up for grabs than anyone else.

Somehow, I'm not sure what Saddam's execution has accomplished. He did not go to trial on all of the charges against him as far as I know. Could there be a link between the change in our own 'stay the course' policy and political shifts that might have warranted a much faster execution and dissolution of further trials for his crimes, than was originally intended? sammieswife.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    I shake my head at the glee anyone would find in watching a person hang.

This shakes my head too...

http://iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/30/africa/ME_GEN_Iran_Saddam.php

TEHRAN, Iran: Iran hailed on Saturday the execution of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein as "enforcer of the most horrendous crimes against humanity" but many Iranians said Saddam should have stood trial for invading Iran and Kuwait before being hanged.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told Iraqi President Jalal Talabani in a telephone conversation later Saturday that Saddam's execution prevented exposure of the secrets and crimes the former dictator committed during his brutal rule, state-run television reported.

"With the death of this dictator and strengthening of the (Iraqi government), I hope full security will prevail for the Iraqi people," the TV quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    How much more civilized it would have been to keep him locked away for his remaining years. The loss of freedom is the greatest punishment.

I may have thought this at one time, however, in an attempt at being civilized, the financial burden of keeping a criminal alive is exorbitant. While a serial rapist or a child killer might spend his life in prison, eating 3 meals a day, watching television and having access to family, letters, lawyers, dentists and doctors - millions of law abiding citizens in the country live in poverty having never seen a dentist, sleeping in cars, living without heat and exist on one meal - if that - in a day. Freedom is a relevant term. sammieswife.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

BlueBlades:
    Interesting post. You evidently haven't got even the slightest clue where I'm coming from, after us both posting here for so long. You've constructed a strawman caricature of what you think my beliefs are. Numpty!

LT, What are your thoughts about the BIbical Laws on Stoning to death. Is this barbaric?

Yup, barbaric.

Does' this law come from Jehovah or man.

Man.

What about Jesus, tie a millstone around his neck and cast him into the sea, bararic or not.

It wasn't a law or command. It was the use of a hyperbole involving suicide.

Just asking, not arguing the belief systems of anyone. Trying to make sense of capital punishment and how to punish the bad guys.

Absolute tosh - you're being antagonistic and know it. Don't make out like you aren't, when you clearly are to the point of transparancy. Why not submit your own opinions for inspection, and discuss the issue at hand, instead of taking the opportunity to take potshots at strawmen?

As I posted on another thread:

"Death Toll:

USA

Foreign

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no evidence linking Saddam to either 9/11 or WMD, was there?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit