Saddam executed

by frozen one 101 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

As far as why take care of the atrocities in Iraq and not Sudan? Who cares, life sucks. Life isn't fair.

As far as Bush and war crimes? Iraqis are traditionally deceitful. Bad intelligence. Believe it. There are Iraqis who will sell their soul for the destruction of their country as well as thousands of their fellow countrymen. They will swear to Allah and everything that is holy that there are bad guys, weapons of mass destruction, IED's, etc., down the street. Unbeknownst to you, they are lying to get with the guy's 14-year old daughter. I don't like Bush, but there is no conspiracy. An ill-conceived war, but at some point one needs to stop weeping and think about what needs to happen in the future.

Saddam, despite his atrocities, kept his people in line. Arabs think differently than westerners. They only understand violence. They respect it. A democracy will never work in the Arab world. It cannot.

There are those who say 'But I have an Iraqi friend, and he's the most trustworthy person I know...' I laugh. Think again.

How do I know?

I was there.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Arabs are human too no? and so are Iraquis. ALL such like that go to the US prosper. The problem is not the people but goverment and religion. Of all iraquis were allowed to immigrate to a westerm country, they would all adapt to the west and love it.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Actually, that is not true at all.

I believe that many who have been involved in debates and 'arguments' on this Board over the years will admit to have learned a great deal in the joustabout.

Winning arguments of of little interest to me, as it is often through the vigorous defence of a point of view that some realities are gained, but the reality which may have evaded you is that there are some on this Board who know their stuff and have put effort into informing themselves, then others who are too lazy to do anything but hit the 'enter' button with minimal thought.

Nothing to do with being 'retarded', more to do with intellectual laziness. It is a pattern played out over much of the worlds communication these days, and has all to do with handing out degrees by the millions to anyone with straight teeth and shares in a fast food chain and making millionaires of anyone prepared to display their ignorance in public without blushing.

HS

LOL!!! You guys crack me up!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Iraqis are traditionally deceitful.

So are all politicians, especially in the democratic West... think about it...

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Does the end justify the means I wonder, and I dont just mean in relation to the death penalty; justification of state punishment including what who and when people should be punished and in what manner throws up some interesting points of debate and has confused politicians, lawyers and academics alike.

There are two main justification theories, the first being 'backward looking' justifications such as 'lex talionis (eye for an eye)'; a culpability principle (punishment fits the crime); a fortfeiture principle (paying a debt to society).

The other is more 'forward looking' justifications such as Deterrence, Rehabilitation, Grievance Satisfaction, or Reparation and restitution.

Of course justification of any state punishment can combine any of the above as a mixture but there are clear criticisms for all of them and as such the only consensus that has been reached is that to abolish state punishment and the institutions that carry out such punishment would be impossible, impractical, and completely undesirable. But in my view even this consensus is illusory because for whilst there are many views that would regard the abolition of punishment as being undesirable, dangerous and wrong there are as many views which challenge what justifies punishment in the first place; indeed a status quo. Lacey, N State Punishment: Political Principles and Community Values, London: Routledge, 1994

But this begs the question that if there are clear criticisms of all the justification principles and the rationale for the existence of the state in its role in carrying out punishment, should the institutions be free carry out the death penalty whilst this remains unresolved?

Gary

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Hold old are you?

Great grammar there buddy.

You do not seem to understand that I have no desire to debate people that talk about or agree that OUR president should be hung. And I use the term "debate" loosely. I cannot help but call it as I see it, and all I see on your side of the "debate" are people that insist on seeing the world through rose colored glases. - All "feel" and very little if any "think."

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I tried to believe it wasn't true, as he usually posts fairly well-reasoned stuff,

I have said this before. Bush is not perfect, but I will be DAMMED if I let anyone talk about hanging him without speaking my mind. It is oh so clear to me sometimes, that even though many leave "the truth", they take their dream world with them.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Just,

While I don''t think our president should be hung I sincerely believe, he should be impeached, and put on trial for war crimes, along with Rumsfeld, for the torture of many detaineses that have beenn shipped to other countries, becuase it is illegal to do in this country.

Also he should be held acountable for the tremendous loss of life his invading of Iraq has caused.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Troucul,

As far as Bush and war crimes? Iraqis are traditionally deceitful.

Might I ask what percentage of Iraqis fall into the category of 'deceitful'. 100%? 99%? 64%? Do you include the Kurds in your definition of Iraqi? Does this penchant towards deceit stop at the border of Iraq, or does it spill over into Iran, Kuwait...etc....etc?

There are those who say 'But I have an Iraqi friend, and he's the most trustworthy person I know...' I laugh. Think again.

How do I know?

I was there.

So was I. That is the reason that I asked the questions above, as frankly this was not my own experience of the Iraqi people. Though the Arab mind and manner is pretty much a mystery to the less informed Westerner and this might result in misunderstanding the national character, I did not notice more deceit among the Iraqi people than I noticed anywhere else that I have lived, except Naples . Bear in mind that my soire around this area was over twenty years ago.

Perhaps it was because they trusted me and I was not wearing a foreign uniform - were you uniformed on your visit?

Best regards - HS

• mouthy
    mouthy

Justice-one> It is oh so clear to me sometimes, that even though many leave "the truth", they take their dream world with them.

I think that is just what your doing!!!!Dream on !!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit