Weird crop circle sighting...

by troubled mind 84 Replies latest jw friends

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    obviously many crop circles are made by pranksters but there is some evidence of unexplained phenomenon going on here and i'll list 3 points that have intrigued me... 1. Seed pods in soybeans/wheat/etc. have been found to be sterile or even exploded. the seed pod has actually burst open. 2. Soil samples inside the crop circle are inconsistent with soil samples outside the crop circle (i.e. raised levels of magnetic material, elements or compounds) 3. One of the scientists researching crop circles actually discovered a new geometric theorem by studying a particular crop circle. how a group of pranksters could have know about this theorem before all of the world's scientists and mathematicians is beyond me. Now I'm not saying that aliens made these but it's just some evidence that makes me question the whole "they are all pranksters" theory. I think there is enough evidence to at least doubt that they are all man made.

You state that there is evidence but you don't actually reference any. Remember that it is very easy for humans to see patterns where there are none, or to see things that they want to see. Research has to be peer-reviewed and replicated before it is worth assigning any importance to conclusions drawn. If you have knowledge of such research I would be glad to hear about it.

• jaredg
    jaredg

yeah i know....all of those points were made on a discovery channel special on crop cricles and i'm too lazy to try and look up sources on the internet.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Don't believe everything you see on Discovery Channel, or any other entertainment medium. Real scientists only wish channels like these would stick to the facts.

Both DCI [makes of Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel] and A&E carry quality programming on their flagship channels. But they also carry shows which utterly undermine the credibility of their scientific and historic programming. Source

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I think the reason crop circles are such a popular hoax is that people are so desperate to believe a supernatural explanation that they won't believe it's a hoax even when the hoaxers admit it. You can actually bring people out to a field, make a complicated crop circle right in front of them and they'll still say somrthing like: "Sure, that one was a hoax, but some of them just can't be explained." What they forget is that until they were shown that one, they thought none of them could be explained.

Imagine a class of people who are so easy to fool that they stay fooled even when the trick is revealed. They're called cerealogists.

• Mary
    Mary
    Imagine a class of people who are so easy to fool that they stay fooled even when the trick is revealed. They're called cerealogists.

Really? Geeze, I thought they were called 'Jehovah's Witnesses'.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    You can actually bring people out to a field, make a complicated crop circle right in front of them and they'll still say somrthing like: "Sure, that one was a hoax, but some of them just can't be explained." What they forget is that until they were shown that one, they thought none of them could be explained.

It's the usual reverse argument.

It is not necessary to prove that all crop circles are man-made, as this is the likeliest scenario.

It is necessary to prove that some aren't, this more extraordinary claim has a higher burden of proof.

It is backwards to accept the more extraordinary claim, while demanding greater evidence for the least extraordinary.

• agapa37
    agapa37

I dont know what to think about crop circles but I do believe in and have seen "CRAP CIRCLES" I am sure anyone who has done laundry have seen them. Weird circles left behind not by aliens but by children with bad wiping skills! I have seen some pretty weird "CRAP CIRCLE " formations in my life. Heck I have even formed some a time or two. I swear one looked like the face of Abraham L.

• TopHat
    TopHat

The Aliens are "ARTISIC" if nothing else!

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I thought I had read that some of the circles had elements that were hard to reconcile as was pointed out. I could see some natural phenomena that could cause something like that to happen, I thought the snowflake example was a good one. When people start totally yammering about who is this person and what are their credentials I always think of the famous quote that goes "What does a patent clerk in Switzerland know about the physics of light?"

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

What does a patent clerk in Switzerland know about the physics of light?

For each Einstein there are a million cranks. Your opinion is, because one in a million does know what he's on about, we have to believe everyone?

Einstein followed the scientific process - he presented his ideas for peer-review. They were not just accepted at face value without further evaluation. We do not now have the Theory of Relativity because Einstein said it, but because the hypothesis was tested and verified.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit