Weird crop circle sighting...

by troubled mind 84 Replies latest jw friends

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Mary - what evidence do you possess that has lead you to the conclusion that some crop circles are not man-made?

All the picture in the pamphlet appears to show a circular formation, it is unlikely that the artist visited the field in question (assuming that these events even occurred). Pure coincidence cannot be ruled out as an explanatio of the similarity between this artist's impression of a mown field and modern crop circles.

Here is Wikipedia's rendition of the story.

The Mowing-Devil: or, Strange News out of Hartford-Shire is the title of an English woodcut pamphlet published in 1678.

The pamphlet tells of a farmer who, refusing to pay the price demanded by a labourer to mow his field, swore that he would rather that the Devil mowed it instead.

According to the pamphlet, that night his field appeared to be in flame. The next morning, the field was found to be perfectly mowed - supernaturally perfect, in fact.

This pamphlet, and the accompanying illustration, is often cited as among the first recorded cases of crop circles by cereologists.

Compare the figure of Puck, a pre-Christian sprite who might be induced to do farm-work or housework.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Crop circles are areas of cereal or similar crops that have been systematically flattened to form various geometric patterns. The phenomenon itself only entered the public imagination in its current form after the notable appearances in England in the late 1970s. Various scientific and pseudo-scientific explanations were put forward to explain the phenomenon, which soon spread around the world. In 1991, more than a decade after the phenomena began, two men, Doug Bower and Dave Chorley, revealed that they had been making crop circles in England since 1978 using planks, rope, hats and wire as their only tools. Many other people around the world are also openly making crop circles, notably Circlemakers.org. Although the commonly accepted view today is that crop circles are a man-made phenomenon, paranormal explanations, often including UFOs, are still popular.

They're a fraud. End of story.

Dismembered

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Here's my transcription of the pamphlet:

Being a True Relation of a Farmer, who Bargained with a Poor Mower, about the Cutting down Three Half Acres of Oats, upon the Mower's asking too much, the Farmer swore That the Devil should Mow it, rather than He.

And so it fell out, that that very Night, the Crop of Oats shew'd (?) as if it had been all of a Flame, but next Morning appear'd so neatly Mow'd by the Devil, or some Infernal Spirit, that no Mortal Man was able to do the like.

Also, How the said Oats ly now in the Field, and the Owner has not Power to fetch them away.

Must have been much better than a crop circle then, because there is no crop circle that cannot have been produced by a mortal man.

That is of course if you believe this fairy tale.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I did get to see the show where the guys made one in a few hours. And its funny but really, all they used was some rope and boards. They measure from the center out, and then they have a board with two ropes, one on each end to hold on to. Then they just press the board on the field with their foot, and keep walking around till the circle is formed. I didnt realize how easy it was till I watched the show.

Not sure if all are man made. I would like to think some little green men came down and zapped the hay with their lazor fingers!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

The expert that came to check out the crop circles here this week said she could find no evidence that they were caused by pranksters . She said she has examined others that clearly were , but not this one . She took samples of soil and of the bean crop . Interestingly she said in many of the cases she has studied the soil within the circle proves to have higher magnetic material , also some of the seeds within the circle are inexplicably sterile . Her theory is that the circles are caused by a natural phenomenon. A plasma burst . Low energy plasma causes northern lights , high energy discharge of plasma causes lightening . Plasma is basically electrified air . Asked how this random burst of energy causes such patterns ? She answered " out of chaos comes order "." It's not against nature to have design , look at flower petals or a snowflake . Nature did that not ET ."

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

more information on studies of plants and soil found inside crop circles , visit www.bltresearch.com

• Scully
    Scully

I've always been fascinated by crop circles. Nowadays though, I consider them to be an art form and nothing else.

Here's one from Malaysia.

• Scully
    Scully

Here's one from Georgetown, Ontario (home of the Canadian WTS Branch Office) that occurred on July 23, 2002

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    The expert that came to check out the crop circles here this week said she could find no evidence that they were caused by pranksters . She said she has examined others that clearly were , but not this one . She took samples of soil and of the bean crop . Interestingly she said in many of the cases she has studied the soil within the circle proves to have higher magnetic material , also some of the seeds within the circle are inexplicably sterile .

There are also experts on Scientology, Graphology, Astrology, Atlantis, the Bermuda Triangle etc. etc.

What are the qualifications of this expert? What is her standing in the scientific community? And more importantly, has her 'research' been peer-reviewed and then replicated with the same outcome by other scientists?

• jaredg
    jaredg

obviously many crop circles are made by pranksters but there is some evidence of unexplained phenomenon going on here and i'll list 3 points that have intrigued me... 1. Seed pods in soybeans/wheat/etc. have been found to be sterile or even exploded. the seed pod has actually burst open. 2. Soil samples inside the crop circle are inconsistent with soil samples outside the crop circle (i.e. raised levels of magnetic material, elements or compounds) 3. One of the scientists researching crop circles actually discovered a new geometric theorem by studying a particular crop circle. how a group of pranksters could have know about this theorem before all of the world's scientists and mathematicians is beyond me. Now I'm not saying that aliens made these but it's just some evidence that makes me question the whole "they are all pranksters" theory. I think there is enough evidence to at least doubt that they are all man made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit