AN ELDER SPOKE TO ME TODAY

by Dansk 59 Replies latest jw friends

• peggy
    peggy

OUTLAW-------Ian's story was one of the first I read on JWD. It broke my heart! It still breaks my heart that one of his daughters still keeps her distance from her family. WHY? Because she is OBEYING the Org. over honoring her father. I imagine that the only way she can truly accomplish this task is by keeping her ARMOR up. For her to drop it, even for a second to ask her father how he is, to show the one moment of compassion, could mean the difference between obeying her GOD and showing LOVE for her father. While it makes me sad that his daughter has made this choice, I do think there is goodness in her, in most people. I hope that this elder truly does have some good in him. I hope he had a moment of compassion. I hope his compassion grows. I hope he begins to display the fruitage of the SPIRIT, one step at a time. You never know how Ians comment affected him. I hope it was a moment of clarity for him. If not........

• bebu
    bebu

Personally, I think that in the context (which Ozzie explained well) the response was fitting. He did not really care about you, just keep control in some way.

Hey you could even defend your response as Biblical, Ian, if anyone should complain. Didn't Jesus tell his own MOM "What's this got to do with with you" at Cana? (OK, different context etc., but the WTS loves proof-texting anyway so give them what they dish out.) Obviously you were simply quoting scripture.

bebu

• oldflame
    oldflame
    I replied: "What's it got to do with you!"

Ian,

I had to laugh, maybe I should'nt but it was kinda funny. I think I would of said the same thing but I would of stood there with a smile and waited for his answer.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

((( Ian ))) I'm with OldFlame... I looked agog, then laughed! I can't imagine you saying anything less than kind. However, that the appropriate comment (and I feel it was very appropriate given the history) left your mouth without a pause, is PRICELESS!

This person got a response that his query deserved. No more, no less. I give you permission to put away the rubber hose as so many others here have done.

GOODONYA!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Ian, that is the sort of answer that I would love to give - but given the surprise from that unexpected question- I most likely would have given a polite answer........ (and angry at myself afterwards)

b.t.w. did you enjoy your walk and feel better when you got home ?

my regards to you and family

Branda

• Dansk
    Dansk

Obviously you were simply quoting scripture.

Bebu

But of course!

I had to laugh, Oldflame

((( Ian ))) I'm with OldFlame... I looked agog, then laughed!

b.t.w. did you enjoy your walk and feel better when you got home ?

my regards to you and family

Branda

Yes, I did feel better, thanks, but not because of what I said to the elder - your replies did that!

Branda, thanks for all the lovely cards you sent. I still have them all! ((((((((((())))))))))))

Ian

• freetosee
    freetosee

Ian, what you said was right. He never cared for you and was one who did you much harm.

Are elders caring and loving to the sheep, including the lost? Definitely not! Most of my life I was a jw and my father was an elder. A caring elder was the rare exception and never lasted very long. The WTS is not about love, it’s about literature distribution. The elders love to be told how encouraging and caring they are and love to present themselves that way, but the truth is very different. Position, power and the sweet double-honour is what they live for. Power-hungry elders can't be denied, but are often downplayed.

fts

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Ian.

It's good to hear you are out getting some excercise.

Keeping stress to a minimum is good. I wouldn't stress over making that comment. After all, it was his uncaring treatment of you and your family that prompted it. I hope he thinks about that.

Somewhere, in the baddest of men, there is a good guy trying to get out. I hope that one day his good guy gets out and knocks on your door to apologise, but it's not up to you and me to try and find him.

Cheers and prayers for you and your family from Chris

• bem
    bem

Wow! (((((((((Ian))))))), Amazing what some people will do to act as if they have some sort of control over a person, he may of thought you would be sub-servient to his authority. I haven't seen an elder close enough to talk to them but I think I may of been afraid or timid in some way myself. so I'm glad you posted this expierience. Maybe your ability to speak up will come to my mind if I am ever put in a similar position.

Little Toe said this better than I could of, so I'll just reiterate:

Dozy:Most of the Elders I knew either were power hungry or had their heads up their asses. By far the minority were the kind that cared, and usually they would burn out.

We're from two different countries , and look the elders are the same every where. I remember having a talk one time to do with elders and asking for their spiritual help and how loving they are.... I would liked to of been able to add , please give us some for this congo!

Hugs to you and your family Ian Dorothy

• dozy
    dozy

Dozy:Most of the Elders I knew either were power hungry or had their heads up their asses. By far the minority were the kind that cared, and usually they would burn out. Personally I "got out". Which kind are you?

I don't accept that , and I think that those who say such things would never have maintained that view while they were JWs. It is simply because they are now "on the other side" and view things differently - many have been through the judicial process and it has left them with deep feelings of bitterness.

What kind am I? Hmmm - not for me to answer , that one. What kind were you , LT?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/84969/1398605/post.ashx#1398605

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit