AN ELDER SPOKE TO ME TODAY

by Dansk 59 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dozy:

You must have done some digging to find that post, else you've been around here quietly for some time.

Yup, I was an organisation man, and being groomed to be a C.O. At first I was a stickler for the rules, having been raised with them, however I could also see the affect they had on peoples' lives and I mellowed pretty quickly. Fortunately my dad was the "caring Elder" type, and I learned a lot from him. HIs attitude to "discerning repentance" was to give people the benefit of the doubt, with the acute understanding of human nature that accepted that if someone wasn't repentant they would likely re-offend.

I was never subjected to a Judicial Committee as I DAed pretty much before anyone realised anything was up. I have little to be bitter about, but I was able to take a cold stark look at the men that I had served with. Power was the name of the game with some, and I averted more than one JC that would almost certainly have ended up in a DFing.

But you're evading my question... what kind of Elder do you think you are?

• Gill
    Gill

Dansk! It's always very healthy to say what you think! Why the regrets? Is it necessary to be polite to this ass? Of course not!

Good job done, in putting him in his place!

No regrets now! You handled it perfectly.

Love to you and Claire

Gill

• Mary
    Mary
    Most of the Elders I knew either were power hungry or had their heads up their asses. By far the minority were the kind that cared, and usually they would burn out. Personally I "got out". Which kind are you?

Dozy said: I don't accept that , and I think that those who say such things would never have maintained that view while they were JWs. It is simply because they are now "on the other side" and view things differently - many have been through the judicial process and it has left them with deep feelings of bitterness.

Not where I come from. I was never DF'd or DA'd, but by far, the majority of elders around here were glorified janitors on powertrips. The few who were genuinely caring and concerned ended up either having a breakdown or faced so much hostility from the rest of the Pharisees Elders that it was a losing battle for them.

Ian, I'm glad you said what you said to that elder. If he was genuinely concerned about you, he would have been around long before now to see how you were making out with the cancer. His silence speaks volumes.

• kid-A
    kid-A

What kind am I? Hmmm - not for me to answer , that one.

Well dozy, a very typical one I would say. Lets see, a complete hypocrite for participating in an apostate website and discussion board in direct violation of the societie's "fatwahs"? An apologist for a corrupt, vile cult that destroys families and lives? An expert at talking out of both sides of your mouth??? I wonder how you would serve on a judicial committee set up to DF someone for associating with apostates?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I wonder how you would serve on a judicial committee set up to DF someone for associating with apostates?

Its certainly one to think about isnt it Dozy?

If one of your fellow elders found out a member of the congregation had been posting on apostate sites and wanted to have a JC about it, what would you do and what would you say?

And that IS one for YOU to answer.

• jason bourne
    jason bourne

The way i see it....Dozy's freedom of speech is shot to pieces and he should do the right thing and resign.....how can jehovah's spirit be with you when at the same time you ared grieving it by chatting to apostates!

jason

• freetosee
    freetosee

Dozy,

I disagree with your assessment of the elders and I’m not d’f or DA. But I find it fascinating that you participate in the discussion here. You are doing this independently from the society. Personally I think that’s great, but it can get you in trouble if found out. I do hope you show understanding and support to your cong member when they start researching and questioning the WTS. I too, would like to ask you many questions on how your participation coincides with your eldership. And if there are jws you can speak to about the discussions here. How you present the evidence on different issues provided here. But Katie’s question is a good one to be answered. As an active jw I would have been upset about many things I find here, being in the ‘inside’ and not knowing much about ‘the other side’. It must be exiting.

Keep up the posting, fts

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Fortunately my dad was the "caring Elder" type, and I learned a lot from him. HIs attitude to "discerning repentance" was to give people the benefit of the doubt, with the acute understanding of human nature that accepted that if someone wasn't repentant they would likely re-offend.

I have to agree with that. Your dad is one of the best elders. There are some other good ones too, LT.

Slim

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Slim:
    You never heard? They took him off for not presiding over his house in a fine manner. Apparently my youngest brother marrying an "unbeliever" was the last straw

Vindictive b*st*rds!

You're right about there being other "caring" Elders. I made it my business to count them among my friends. A couple of them even called me after I DAed. Alas, that was the first week and protocol has since resumed.

• LuciousJ
    LuciousJ

Now see, you were WAY more tactful than I would have been. You set a great example, one I wouldn't follow however, because I'm much more outspoken (some call it hasty). But, I'm sure being so dignified yet to the point will indeed let him know just what affect he has on you and your family. That being NONE.

Good job. I hope you are feeling better.

LuciousJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit