Question about shunning from someone who has never been a JW....

by whyizit 111 Replies latest jw friends

• gymbob
    gymbob

"there's no such thing as a smoking christian".....(?)

There sure was alot of them back in the 60's, baptised, and attending Kingdom halls. Back then at my hall in S. Calif., there was a 15 minute break to have a quick smoke between the public talk and WT study on Sundays. That must have been before the American Cancer Society helped the holy spirit to show the Faithful and Discreet Slave how dangerous smoking was, and give any Jehovah's Witness, (oops sorry!) "smoking christian" 6 months to quit or be disfellowshipped.....and you can use the same example regarding any other disfellowshipping offense the society has come up with for the last 50 years or so...Christmas, birthdays, talking to someone DF'd, etc. Would you also say that there is no such thing as a christian who celebrates birthdays? Or goes to a neighbors funeral at the church he attended?

There are so many things you've said that I would love to respond to, but everybody else has done a much better job beating me to it!

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

I'm curious, plmkrzy about a few things.

One has to do with the prostitute comment.

One - do you know any religious leader anywhere that openly, in public has prostitutes washing his or her feet? I'm curious because of your statement.

Also, have you recently had prostitute's touching your feet? I ask this to make a point. Anybody in today's world, including Jesus, would be looked at oddly for this type of behavior. Yet, in Jesus' day, washing feet of others wasn't an unusual event, considering most people didn't have wingtips, socks and washtubs with running water.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Gunshy, As I had mentioned in my previous post the Acts 15 is in fact a quotes from Amos 9. The reference has absolutely nothing to do with a title. As you have stated, Christian is a title, but so is Jehovahs Witness, AKA, Witnesses of Jehovah. These are not, as you put it, names.

If you research what having the name of God is all about, you'll discover that it has Nothing to do with ANY title or name an organization bestowes its followers.

If your looking for the 'true' religion, and part of that proof is the name/title they give themselves, then you may be looking for the criteria that organization has given you, not the criteria in the scriptures. And ultimatly, you'll be looking for the wrong religion.

steve

• Swan
    Swan
    Disfellowshipping (shunning) serves to protect Jehovah's name.

Then why don't they do it with the child molesters? Instead, they cover it up to protect Jehovah's name. My brother had a relative through marriage who was accused of raping little girls, but because there was only one witness with a clear memory of the incident, nothing was done to him. The Watchtower directed the elders to cover it up and not to talk to the police. How does that protect Jehovah's name? When the truth comes out it makes Jehovah look like a fool to be mocked at best, and a god who tolerates the abuse of children at the worst.

Tammy

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Steve,

A Jehovahs Witness feels exactly as you do. One of Jehovah's Witnesses does not feel the way you do. When you understand what that means, you'll understand the difference between a name and a title.

This one's gonna throw some of you:

Birthdays are satanic.

(Anton Szandor LaVey - The Satanic Bible) "The highest of all holidays in the Satanic religion is the date of one's own birth. Every man is a god if he chooses to recognize himself as one. So, the Satanist celebrates his own birthday as the most important holiday of the year."

(Ecclesiastes 7:1) A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born.

Christmas is mithracism combined with Christ's alleged birthday. (2 Corinthians 6:15) . . .what harmony is there between Christ and Be´li·al? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever?

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Does anyone recall any of the apostles resisting the words of Jesus? I'm asking this for a reason.

He taught his followers to "wipe the dust" of unbelievers off their feet.

Yet, not one here dares to comment regarding this as an act that Jesus commanded of his disciples to do in regard to any that do not accept Christ's teachings.

Ya'll talk about shunning and how unchristlike it is, yet nobody dares mention anything regarding this stark truth about Christ I've posted here two times (this time three) already.

So, we can continue debating regarding shunning, or humbly admit that Christ himself did in fact command his followers to shun unbelievers.

Does anyone care to follow up on this point precisely? I believe I've addressed the original poster of this thread's inquiry precisely.

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

In case some of you here do not know what mithracism is, it's the worship of the sun god mithra. Pagans did this (saturnalia) during the Roman Empire on December 25th (Julian calendar)- the winter solstice. Constantine decided to combine mithracism with apostate Christianity to form Christmas. See, Christianity had become polluted by Greco Hellenistic influences at this time.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Yet, not one here dares to comment regarding this as an act that Jesus commanded of his disciples to do in regard to any that do not accept Christ's teachings.

um...cof..cof...I did....

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Hi Tammy,

"My brother had a relative through marriage who was accused of raping little girls, but because there was only one witness with a clear memory of the incident, nothing was done to him."

Had Judas not taken his own life, what should the other apostles have done to him?

• Gunshy
    Gunshy
    In other words, their time would be better spent talking to receptive listeners.

Ah1 Very good! Would a follower of Christ consider an unrepentant wrongdoer or one disassociated from the congregation a "receptive listener"?

These posts are for any sheeplike ones that might be reading, by the way. It's already been determined some here are not receptive listeners.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit