Question about shunning from someone who has never been a JW....

by whyizit 111 Replies latest jw friends

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Sorry for the big letters before...

Honesty,

Christian is a title, not a name. It means "adherent to the anointed one's teachings - that would be the one that was impaled, Jesus.

Jehovah's people are known by His name, not the title of His son.

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

There's no such thing as a smoking Christian, dear.

A follower of Jesus can and will give up smoking. Jesus gave up his life for us. What kind of Christian example is it to hurt what Jehovah made in His image? a true follower of Jesus will give up smoking in imitation of Jesus who refused poison on a sponge that was being shoved in his face. He set the pattern. A true follower of him will follow him, not try to make excuses to commit defilement of the flesh.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I see we posted within a minute of each other, gunshy. I must say you are pretty bold considering your moniker. But isn't that usually the case. "Shining One" is a little tarnished, "Scholar" continues to slave for his degree, and "Big Tex" is a big warm teddy bear. For a little fun...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Why no smoking Christians, dear? We have obese Christians and drinking Christians, and Christians who allow chemotherapy (poisons) to kill off a bigger foe. I understand the principle of living our bestest, but does a failing in a small instruction negate the whole? (Edited to add to the point)

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Gunshy," Jehovah's people are known by His name, not the title of His son." Can you explain exactly what you mean by this statement. steve

• Gunshy
    Gunshy
    What I mean Steve is that those identified as Christians will be called by God's name.

Many are called "Christians" but few actually are. You have many called Christians today that wage war and supposedly cast out demons and do many powerful works in the name of Jesus, but are in fact workers of lawlessness.

(Matthew 7:22-23) . . .Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23

And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.

God's people are "no part of the world".

(John 15:19) . . .If YOU were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because YOU are no part of the world, but I have chosen YOU out of the world, on this account the world hates YOU.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Thanks for the reply gunshy, Can I ask, what you mean by "called by God's name" steve

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Jesus would be shunned today for letting prostitutes touch his feet, not shaving, hanging out with the Apostles, burning sweet-smelling stuff and drinking, …etc.

• jgnat
    jgnat

ummm, rabbit trail....I like this definition from Wikipedia:

The term Christian means "belonging to Christ" and is derived from the Greek noun ???st?? Khristós which means "anointed one," which is itself a translation of the Hebrew word Moshiach (Hebrew: ????, also written "Messiah"), (and in Arabic it is pronounced Maseeh ????).

So it would be more than "adherent to the anointed one's teachings". I often say a Christian is a follower of Christ.

End of rabbit trail. I'd be quite happy to continue our discussion on whether Jesus shunned.

• Gunshy
    Gunshy

Steve...

(Acts 15:17-18) . . .in order that those who remain of the men may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things, 18

known from of old.’

plmkrzy,

Do you really think the "prostitute", Mary (Lu 7:47), continued in her practices after receiving forgiveness by God's representative, Jesus Christ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit