Goodbye and Swansongs

by LittleToe 113 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

i think people saying goodbye is a sensible thing. some of us have made close friends here, and if they were to just fall off the planet without giving notice then ya get worried. also, pm'in all those that care about you isn't too easy since you dont know who they are...i've got a LOT of fans these days

so long as folks say what they mean, its up to them - on that note, goodbye

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think you guys underestimate yourselves. I remember all of you...

• Princess
    Princess
    I'm still here but haven't posted lately, but I do visit this site on a daily basis to keep up to date.

calamity jane "of the nobody misses me anyway class"

Me too. It makes me wonder how many of us are still around, reading silently. I feel the same about the "nobody misses me anyway" thing. I could write a lovely goodbye post and have it disappear to the back pages in minutes.

Princess who?

Been edited more times than Ross and have had more than one thread deleted, even had one poster wish me get my ass run over whilst riding my bike. Not that it's a good thing...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    even had one poster wish me get my ass run over whilst riding my bike

But it's such a pretty ass!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Hey Princess! I remember ya! How did the bike marathon go?

• Princess
    Princess

Apparently one poster though my ass should be flatter. Thanks though.

Hey Mega! Went great. I am so proud of Joy! She rode 100 miles the first day. She is not used to the hills here in the Pacific NW, but she made her way to the top of every one of them! We finally rolled across the finish line Sunday at about 5:30 after two long days of riding.

Weather was perfect! 70s and cloudy the first day and 80s and clear the second day. 203 miles and lots and lots of hills, along with 8,998 other bikers!

Sad we missed your sister at the finish but understandable for sure!

Rachel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Regularly I'll take breaks to recover, with one such LOOOONG overdue break extending for about three months, with me just occasionally checking for PMs, etc.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I took a 9 or 10 month break myself. I'll never post again like I used to, I know how I'm thought here now by some, but that's okay I've been there before and I'll most likely be there again (still trying to decide whether I'm a loner or an iconoclast or just plain weird). However, it occurred to me one day that I'd made some friends and I didn't want to give them up over a difference of opinion nearly a year past. So I'm ensconsed in my familiar corner, watching everyone else.

As for goodbye threads, as with most of human behavior, I think it's unwise to generalize. It's unfair to say goodbye threads are >fill in the blank< or those who start them are >fill in the blank<.

Some are heartfelt, some are condescending, others are angry and/or bitter or even manipulative. Some are just fun and some are just what they present themselves to be.

One lesson I learned, and seen proven true again and again, is that for those of us who have lost a great deal, whether through a cultish experience, abuse or what have you, there is compensation. Instead of having a few people who give to you a lot for a long time, we are given (if we choose) a lot of people who give a great deal for a ... short time. And when the time is over, they will move out of your life to be replaced by someone else who gives a lot for a short time.

As with most things in life, take what you need and leave the rest.

Rachel, Denise - I've missed ya.

Be well,

Chris

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Nice post LT, thanks. This part certainly got me thinking:

So, what are we here for? Is it merely for entertainment? Is it to help out? Is it to find a voice and evolve; Is it to meet up with other "survivors"?; Is it to sharpen our teeth on doctrine, policy, argumentation, history, or life in general?; Is it to grow and help grow?; Is it to make a few friends, and hopefully not too many enemies?

I think that at times I have come here for all of the above. Certainly, when I joined I really lived up to my name, that's mostly why I chose it, but I'm not in any doubt now about the wts, I am glad to be out. I come in now to help others when I can, hopefully successfully.

I too can't quite understand the spate of goodbye threads, and I doubt I'll ever start one. I may take a break from the board from time to time, but say goodbye? Never.

Linda

• Fleur
    Fleur

As someone who has in the past (during fits of growing up, brain fry, emotional peril, whatever you want to call it) have used the revolving door around here more than once (and never again, I declare!) I do appreciate when people say goodbye because it's scary to wonder sometimes if people have had something bad happen to them...I guess a lot of people may not care what happens to the faceless screen names they see on web forums but when you're around a board as long as i've been here, there is a cast of regulars that you come to care about. I have anyway.

I know, I"m rambling, I haven't had enough coffee today.

as for the farewells themselves...they don't have to be big emotional affairs...I just guess I care about folks here so if I know someone is taking a break of their own choosing, then I don't have to worry they're lying in a ditch somewhere, you know?

Myself I won't do the goodbye thing again...if the day comes when I'm finished, I'll just slip out the back door :)

essie

of the now you saw her, then you didn't, but I'm stable now, I think, class.

p.s. Princess, good to "see" you!

p.p.s. KW13 I'm one of your fans too, dearie! If you leave someday you better say goodbye!

• codeblue
    codeblue

Little Toe, great thread

I came to heal at first...........I am so glad Scully referred NOdenial to this board...so thank you Scully!!!

After being here almost 3 years....I feel like Blondie, who will help our newbies if we all quit???

It is quite a journey to leave a cult and one with many side effects (especially if most of your families are still in the cult)

Codeblue

PS: Calamityjane...I do miss you...you are one of the posters I noticed quite a bit when I first started reading here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit