Well, I think my apartment is haunted.

by Steve Lowry 106 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar
    my opinion on the board moving quicker as the night progressed is the demons are more active at night.

Yes, but your opinion here is informed by emotion and guesswork rather than actual experience and teaching with regards to such things.

Why would a demon care for what time of the day it is? Think about that. If these beings are as powerful as the stories tell us they are, they're concerned about this sort of thing? Do they use daylight savings time?

No, our minds are more "soft" and connected when darkness falls. Also, a sense of strangeness, of "other"-ness facilitates brain-wave modification, dropping from alpha down through the other more easily.

In magickal practice, for example, performing a ritual at night, in a robe (or naked), in a room lit only by candles, while outside shines the full moon, is more likely to be effectual than one performed in one's street clothes, sitting on the curb at noon in 100 degree temperature. There are reasons why priests, shamans, others, etc. have special costumes, etc.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Daystar,

I still don't go for your explanation. I've also experienced things during the day, as opposed to the night, that I felt only occured at night, until they happened to me in the daytime.

Warlock

• wednesday
    wednesday

My feeling about the things that have happened to me, some (huge amount) has been the sleep paralysis. Other things I have no explanation for.I have felt the presence of somethiing and not felt afraid, and I have also felt a presence and felt afraid. so perhaps that is both good and evil in the "netherworld"

Recently I had an experence. I had a dream about a male relative and in it he was in a purple suit and appeared to be teaching me something. I was watching him and thinking that he spent too much time on silly things and he and his wife shoud spend more time together and quit complicating their life. I puzzled over the dream and tried to get some meaning from it. I went to see my therapist and as I was telling him the dream it seemed I could not stop myself from speaking and just blurted right out to him directly "you and your wife waste your time on silly things, and don't spend enough time together. Yourlife is too complicated. " He looked shocked. I was shocked. I told him that was wha tI had said to my male relative in the dream. As It turned out- it appears it was a message for him . He has complicated his life and last week he told me he has taken steps to move all 3 of his offices into one and feels better about it

weds

• daystar
    daystar
    I still don't go for your explanation. I've also experienced things during the day, as opposed to the night, that I felt only occured at night, until they happened to me in the daytime.

?? I never said they will only happen at night. You will believe what you want to believe. Why do you not want to "go for" my explanation?

• Warlock
    Warlock

Because it is not "the mind" playing tricks on people, every single time something unexplainable happens. I didn't mean for you to think, that I think, these things only happen at night, but they intensify at night.

Let me ask you if this is just someone's mind playing tricks on them: There is a house with a side door that is open. Someone walks by, in the daytime, and a key flies off the counter and hits them on the head. It is a day of about 80 degrees, but the key is ice cold, as if it was in the refrigerator. The house does not even have air conditioning. Is this just someone's mind playing tricks on them?

Warlock

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I’m kinda glad I started this thread now, as its gotten interesting with the different points of views and all (although this was not my intention). Some of the discussion here kinda reminds me of the, Jesus is God/ no Jesus isn’t God debates that never really seem to resolve, with either party stating their particular point of view as best they can. I like this kind of discussion because where two opposing points of view collide, is very often where the sparks of truth are found.

Daystar, you said, "True hauntings, ghosts, etc., are nowhere nearly as common as popular opinion and entertainment media would have you believe."

This statement implies that you believe or you at least are open to the possibility of genuine a haunting existing, but just not as common as what popular opinion holds. Is this the thought you wish to convey? Do you believe that there is such a thing as a genuine haunting or such a supernatural paranormal occurrence? I’m not trying to corner you, I just wanna know what you believe. Is there a kind of litmus test you would use to verify such an occurrence as outside the realm of ‘normal’ explanation?

"Regarding the Ouija board, what happens if the person with the question is not touching the planchette at all. Minute tremors in our are the explanation for the magic of Ouija boards. Our subconscious mind will guide our hands without our conscious knowledge."

The planchette typically must be touched, at least it did for me. It can work for one person but I always needed a second person contacting it to enable it. I don’t buy into the theoretical explanation of the movement of the Ouija planchette being ‘driven’ by the unconscious, and here’s why. While I think the unconscious or the subconscious is fascinating, it still must work within the realm of believability. For instance, in my story about my young skeptic friend who had a childhood dog, Haus. The volunteer had never sat down in front of a Ouija Board before. I had him place his hands on the planchette, immediately close his eyes, lean his head back as I asked the Board the question about the name of his dog. From the time he entered my home to the time his head was tilted back was all of maybe five minutes. Now to me, it seems a remarkable feat, that my young friend’s subconscious mind could in that short amount of time, view and scan the entire Ouija board with all its letter and number assignments, commit that all to memory including their precise locations on the Board, physically direct the planchette to those exact assignments (which he could not see) quickly answering my question, and do all that within just a few seconds time! WOW! I wanna believe in science of the mind, but that seems a bit much to believe. This seems plausible to you? I think it takes a leap of faith to believe that the very thing we as people can sometimes spend an entire lifetime trying to get in touch with through psychotherapy (that is the subconscious or unconscious mind, to help us find out why we do the things we do and who we are), that we could just as easily run out to Toys R Us and grab a 10 dollar Oiuja Board and get there lickidy-split! If that’s the explanation that satisfies your curiosity, then ok. But it doesn’t satisfy mine. And that would be ok with me. It just doesn’t fit.

If one believes in God, a spiritual being (which I do), then it doesn’t seem to be much of a leap of logic that there could be other created spiritual bodies. If God is invisible to the human eye’s spectrum, then why couldn’t those other beings be invisible as well? I know we as people have blamed everything on the Devil throughout the ages. Everything from mental illness to natural disasters. We’ve gotten smarter about such things. But, because we were 100 % wrong that everything was spiritual in the past, lets not be wrong now that everything must be able to be 100% proven in a laboratory.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy..

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

To finish this up then; if it is not the unconscious mind that controls the Ouija planchette, just what is it then? Don’t know. But it seems more believable to me that an entity other than my partner or myself would be answering the questions or moving the planchette, than our subconscious minds, per my experience. I think in all fairness one would almost have to experience the Ouija Board before one could make an educated opinion about its nature. I have, and for me anyway, I am convinced it is not my mind or my partner’s mind, but something else outside of ourselves controlling it. I think this is a disturbing proposition for some and that may influence some peoples thinking, IMO. I know that the night I had my young friend over and the Board guessed his dog’s name, there was another friend of mine there that had brought him to see what he had also seen on previous occasions concerning the Ouija. On another evening this other friend of mine was also a skeptic until I asked him if he had ever had a supernatural experience. He reluctantly admitted that he had. When he was a young boy his granddad had died and ‘visited’ him on his way to the cosmos, as it were. I asked the Board how old he was when this happened. When the board revealed his age (12), which I had no idea about, he literally almost fainted. (I believe something like this could be unconsciously driven as he was looking at the board when he answered.) His name was Bob and a few weeks later I ran into him and he no longer believed it was supernatural but the unconscious that answered the question. This is why he brought his young friend over. He wanted to dispel any possibility that it really could have happened. That is why I insisted the young man lean back his head and close his eyes. My friend Bob was clearly agitated by the ‘test’ and never admitted it was the Board that revealed the answer, Haus. All that to say, that I think some people just don’t want to believe for whatever reasons that are known to them. Maybe conversely, some people always want it to be supernatural cuz that’s what works for them. For me? I just want the right tool for the right job. It doesn’t personally matter a to me which it is that moves the planchette, mind or spirit. But as of this point, its spirit.

Thanks for listening.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Ok, funny story and then I'm done. When I was a kid about 10 or so, my parents decided to go out and leave me at the house all on my own for a little while. Our kitchen was surrounded by 3 sides (with a small opening to go in and out) by five-foot or so walls my dad had made to create a separation for the eating area. I was in the living room when I heard some commotion in the kitchen. I stood up to peer over the walls (I couldn't quite see over them, as I was only 10). When I looked into the kitchen area I saw one of the kitchen chairs spinning around on the floor all by itself! Well sir, I ran outta that house just a screamin'! After I regained my composure, I decided I was gonna go back in there and see just what the heck was going on. Well, when I got close to the kitchen, I noticed the chair had stopped moving. I walked into the kitchen to see our family dog tied to one of the kitchen chairs. My parents had forgotten to untie him before they left and he went a little crazy, I guess. He was completely exhausted and out of breath and looked up at me as if to say, " Could ya help me out here and untie me? Thanks.". I sat down on the floor and laughed till I cried. Poor little dog.

• wednesday
  • Kudra
    Kudra

Steve- that is JUST the type of story that happens to people (except that they don't go back and check, or something) that they SWEAR as proof of paramormal activity. If you never found out about the dog, like it got untied somehow before you get back, there would be no way of explaining the situation without falling back on the paranormal...
    I think that is what happens to 100% of folks who have "paranormal experiences".
    Hilarious story- at 10, I would have NEVER gone back!!!!!!
    -Kudra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit