Well, I think my apartment is haunted.

by Steve Lowry 106 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Ok, at the risk of sounding like mushy or something, I want to make an observation. What I notice on this forum of former JW's (as well as others) is that even when people may not share the same belief (whatever that may be), there is respect for each other. And, even when someone feels like maybe they were too strong in their view and an apology is appropriate, they simply do. I guess its stating the obvious, but there is a strong bond between former JW's. Its sad to me that the active JW is trained to believe there is no love outside of his precious organization, and that amongst former JW's there is only hate. I’ve experienced more love and genuine concern here then all my years as a JW. OK, enough of that gay crap. ;u)

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Robdar, how does one get his PM?

• damselfly
    damselfly

Hi Steve, to get your PM just click on the "inbox" below where it says "Welcome SteveLowry" this will bring up all your pms then you just have to click on the title of the one you want. ;-)

Dams

• kid-A
    kid-A

Interesting that every single "anecdote" on the thread can be easily explained via purely physical means. Perceptual distortions, tricks of the mind, overactive sensory cortex.

The simple reality is that people WANT to believe in the supernatural, so, rather than using the simplest explanation, a "supernatural force" is invoked, for which there is no evidence, no documented proof, nor any logical explanation.

Perception is driven my motivation. If you WANT to believe something badly enough, I assure you, your brain will generate illusory "evidence" to support these constructs. That does not make them "real". Read the "Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan if you want a balanced view of the illusory world of the supernatural and the underlying reasons why such perceptions are constructed by the human mind.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Right on Kid-A.
    I am reading that book right now! I totally owe Carl Sagan a debt of gratitude for showing me how the mind works with stuff like this.
    Did you find the JW reference???
    Coming free from the WTBTS was all about leaving behind fear and superrstition- sometimes it is difficult for me to understand why people hold onto stuff like angels, demons, aliens, "visitations" etc.
    Humans all have an innate desire to be in awe and have a sense of wonder about the world. Too often it is manifested by making up fairytale explanations of everyday events instead of learning in depth about the fascinating world that surrounds us and being in wonder over nature, science math, etc.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Did you find the JW reference???

One of my favorite quotes.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Only ever had one experience which I have previously posted on this board......

I have hesitated to type this - and it is something I have only shared with 3 people. I am not the sort of person that believes or looks for anything 'supernatural' and I never expect to experience anything of that nature.

Over 20 years ago I lived in a house with my young child. The house was about 100 years old. One night, I had just got into bed (I never drank and never took drugs) - it was a double bed and I always slept with my back toward the centre. Literally a minute after I got in (my child, aged 4, was asleep in the back bedroom), the other side of the bed was depressed violently as though someone heavy had thrown themselves onto it. And then I heard the most horrendous breathing. I have never been as terrified as I was then. I would have to have turned around to see what was behind me - but I froze. I was desperately trying to remain motionless. The breathing continued for maybe 20 minutes.

Another night I was awoken by an almighty crash - which I didn't really think anything of and drifted back to sleep. The next morning I discovered that the chest of drawers in my bedroom, which was about 4 feet tall, had been tipped over.

I sold that house 20 years ago - but I still dream about it often - and my dreams take me upstairs there. I am sometimes tempted to ask the present owners if they experience anything - but they may think me mad

• Steve Lowry
  • Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

"Interesting that every single "anecdote" on the thread can be easily explained via purely physical means. Perceptual distortions, tricks of the mind, overactive sensory cortex. The simple reality is that people WANT to believe in the supernatural, so, rather than using the simplest explanation, a "supernatural force" is invoked, for which there is no evidence, no documented proof, nor any logical explanation. Perception is driven my motivation. If you WANT to believe something badly enough, I assure you, your brain will generate illusory "evidence" to support these constructs. That does not make them "real". Read the "Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan if you want a balanced view of the illusory world of the supernatural and the underlying reasons why such perceptions are constructed by the human mind." Well, it seems to me that you're conversely guilty of the very thing you accuse of others . It seems to me that you want not to believe that there is possibly a spiritual or supernatural realm which could also possibly interact with the world as we know it, and you’ve thereby cut yourself off mentally from being able to see it even if it dose exist. I could also say that folks like you are simply too frightened to face the possibility that there may be another plain of existence where said supernatural entities reside. But that wouldn’t necessarily be accurate of me to say that, now would it? Look, you’re entitled to your opinion, but that is exactly what it is. Your opinion. You can’t prove there isn’t a spiritual realm anymore than I can prove there is. No one knows for sure, unless of course one takes the arrogant position that he or she knows all. And we all know that Carl Sagan knew all, right?

For your information, I don’t want things to be supernatural or not supernatural. I don’t care. But, I don’t limit my experience or my field of vision by preconceived notions either. Some things have an obvious scientific explanation, and sometimes some things do not have so obvious a scientific explanation. But, it seems to me, that you’re ability to see or that is to ‘not see’, has been tainted by your preconceived notion that everything must be able to be explained in your Universe. And if it can’t well, it just doesn’t exist except for in the minds of those whom you happen to disagree with you.

It would seem that you have made up your mind that no such things exist outside of what you can taste, see, or touch, or readily explain. Even Einstein believed in God. But I know these days its considered silly and passé in this enlightened world of ours to still believe in God and the spirit realm where He abides. Man, if there’s one thing the JW’s taught me (not that they wanted me to learn this lesson), it’s not to allow myself to only see one possibility.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Come on, Midwich,

It's just Sleep Paralysis and your "sub-conscious" mind at work. As for the breathing, you were just hearing yourself or the kids.

Warlock(with heavy sarcasm)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit