Well, I think my apartment is haunted.

by Steve Lowry 106 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

itsall,

My mother told me that happened to her when she was 16 years old. Her and my grandmother went to go visit some relatives and while she was laying awake, in the middle of the night, something sat on her legs. She couldn't move and couldn't wake up her mom. She insists, to this day, she was awake, not asleep.

Warlock

• daystar
    daystar

Sleep paralysis is also fairly common Warlock - http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

--> if you believe the Bible. <-->Well, there you are. Yes and No. It is too complicated a subject to get into, but let me point out that the 'book' we call the Bible is a compilation of sometimes heavily edited older compositions. I won't go into an explanation of Higher Criticism, but I can recommend a book that does a good job of explaining the current state of scholarship in this area: Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard E. Friedman.
    Another book that I read is Is It God's Word? by Joseph Wheless available for free online at infidels.org. It is an old and flawed book by an obviously biased author, yet it still manages to make the point about the kind of god Jehovah/Yahveh Elohim really is and the kind of changes that have occurred to "true" religion over the last four thousand years. In my opinion, it gets good starting in the second chapter. Read and take with a grain of salt if you will. We're not in the Organization anymore! Believe what you want. And good luck!
    Dave

• Warlock
    Warlock

Daystar,

She has experienced "sleep paralysis". This was not "sleep paralysis". By the way, did you read my experience about the key I posted on page 3?

Warlock

• wednesday
    wednesday

Warlock,

I 'll take you at your word, but I can tel you from personal experience, sleep paralysis is very powerful and can mimic almost anything. There is no end to the things the mind can dream up..

weds

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

"It was a serious question even though Daystar found it amusing. I am speaking from experience--you wouldn't believe what all happened at a house I used to live in. I was an unbeliever when I moved there but after living there for 8 months, I decided that I was wrong--I don't really know anything and decided to keep an open mind." I had a feeling it was prolly a serious question considering the context of the post, but I just wanted to make sure. What kind of things did you expereince in the house? If you aren't comfortable talking about it, thats no problem. Steve

• daystar
    daystar
    She has experienced "sleep paralysis". This was not "sleep paralysis".

And you are basing this conclusion upon what? Her own assertion? Her feelings on it alone? Yours? Or upon a professional opinion or two, or three?

• There is more than one form of sleep paralysis. Just because one occurrence didn't match the rest, does not mean it's not sleep paralysis.
    • And as well, the fact that she has experienced sleep paralysis before and perhaps since makes it all more likely that this event also was sleep paralysis.
    Let me ask you if this is just someone's mind playing tricks on them: There is a house with a side door that is open. Someone walks by, in the daytime, and a key flies off the counter and hits them on the head. It is a day of about 80 degrees, but the key is ice cold, as if it was in the refrigerator. The house does not even have air conditioning. Is this just someone's mind playing tricks on them?

Is this an actual scenario you personally have experienced, or is it hearsay? This story sounds like about a thousand other ghost stories we tell around campfires... probably nowhere near an accurate retelling if it is third party.

That being as it may, just because an occurrence does not have an immediately obvious explanation does not automatically have to become the work of some mysterious entity or other. Can't you see this?

• Warlock
    Warlock

If you don't believe me, you don't believe me. There are other things that have happened to me and others that I have known. Some I still know. If you want "2 witnesses", you wouldn't believe them either, so what's the use? I'm done.

Warlock

• daystar
    daystar
    If you don't believe me, you don't believe me. There are other things that have happened to me and others that I have known. Some I still know. If you want "2 witnesses", you wouldn't believe them either, so what's the use? I'm done.

It's not that I don't believe that you think what you (and others) experienced was in fact of a supernatural or paranormal nature. What I am generally at odds with is that many people so easily jump to such conclusions. Our perceptual faculties are very adept at misleading us and so much of what we think we perceive is only a facsimile of reality that the odds are in favor of a much more mundane explanation for the larger portion of such experiences.

Anyway, nice not-so-subtle slight on your part referring to the "2 witnesses". I obviously hit a nerve with you, although I did not mean to. Good luck to you.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Interesting!

Ghostbusters!

If there's something strange in your neighborhood
    Who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!
    If there's something weird and it don't look good
    Who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!

I ain't afraid of no ghost

If you're seeing things running through your head
    Who can you call?
    Ghostbusters!
    An invisible man sleeping in your bed
    Oh, who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!

Who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!
    If you're all alone, pick up the phone
    And call
    Ghostbusters!

I hear it likes the girls
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!
    If you've had a dose of a freaky ghost
    You'd better call
    Ghostbusters!

Let me tell you something
    Bustin' makes me feel good

Don't get caught alone, oh no
    Ghostbusters!
    When it comes through your door
    Unless you just want some more
    I think you better call
    Ghostbusters!
    Ow!

Who you gonna call
    Ghostbusters!
    {Repeat to fade

Where is Bill Murray and the gang when you need 'em?

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit