What keeps you from killing yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

I had serious thoughts of suicide when I was 23 or 24. The only thing I had at home was household chemicals - roach spray, dishwasher detergent, etc. I was too cowardly and afraid of pain to use that stuff to do the deed.

Now, love for my daughter keeps me alive. I want to be here for her to help her grow into a productive adult and see what she accomplishes. I also want to be around to spoil the grandkids. Suicide is a crime against the survivors. I couldn't imagine doing that to my daughter or my family. My mother would be crushed, as would other members of my family because they would wonder if they were to blame.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I stay afloat when things are low because of the hope I have for my children. I now don't get as low as I did years ago when I actually bought all the fuzz about me being bad. Now, I love life. Even when it sucks, it is those moments you get a kiss that makes your toes curl or the stars shining across a night sky and a crisp morning with coffee and a cigg sitting on the back porch. I also find that the more I learn, the more I have to live for. Gaining some knowledge seemed to help a lot!!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I haven't seen it all yet.

• Calliope
    Calliope

if there's something that keeps me from doing it, it's different everytime depending on the severity.

mostly, i try not to drive and i stay away from the ledge.

cal.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I haven't seen it all yet.

I hear you! Amen!!

• anewme
    anewme

Wonderful people and humor keep me going Dave.

Also simplifying my life drastically has created a more relaxed approach to life.

Dave, we love you and I have missed your posts alot.

You know it is very common to feel depressed after a holiday. Am I right?

Where's that book or article you were going to write?

Can you share some of your writing here with us?

Pleeeeeeeese!

C'mon everyone, BEG DAVE TO SHARE SOME OF HIS WRITING TALENT WITH US!!!!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    but shaun mullins sang it better...hehe

No way. Johnny Cash's version is the best by far.

Kristofferson wrote the song though.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I love life to much and I am much to young to die volunteering for it.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

My son keeps me from killing myself. He is also the reason I usually feel like killing myself (teenager). There's your irony for you Auld Soul!

Revenge: If you want to make everyone who ever made you feel bad suffer you don't leave. You stick around and get even (as in living well is the best revenge).

Vanity: I'm too fat to die. I have to lose weight first so the paramedics and morticians and everyone else will say, "What a horrible tragedy. She was much too young and thin and attactive to die!"

Science: I am waiting for science to figure out how I can morph into a fly on the wall so I can watch everyone at my funeral wail uncontrollably and throw themselves onto my coffin and into the grave due to the enormity of their grief.

Cog

p.s. Quandry: Thank you for your post. I was thinking maybe I should go to the Hall just to have someone to hang out with because I have been lonely since I left six months ago. After reading the sick, hurtful thing the elders did to your teenage girl, I remembered why I left. There is no one there to hang around with that is worth putting up with that kind of mental and emotional abuse!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I just love life.

The only time I was suicidal was whilst in bethel, I even discussed it with the Bethel doctor. A price can not be put on freedom, and Bethel is one of the places that robs a person of mental, emotional and spiritual freedom, not to mention being like a prison when counts the number of hours a week spent in a single location.

For as long as a person has health and freedom than life can be viewed as an exciting adventure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit