What keeps you from killing yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

Thanks, though!

Dave

Alright, had to make sure. Now go find a strip joint.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Search in hope of family, in the broadest and most drawn out possible sense of the word.

If resurrection from spiritual death makes suicidal, then there’s just got to be more to spiritual life. Perhaps it would not make sense to end life for not having lived.

I’ll try to remember that myself now.

VG (of the black ass on a tiny raft class)

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The fact that I don't live alone.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

I could never begin to count the number of times I have considered suicide as a possible 'way out' of this life of torment (which includes the feeling of just 'never belonging' anywhere--in or out of the Org), but I think I have held back thus far for a number of reasons--among them the devastation that would undoubtedly be felt by those I left behind. I also know that I might very well not live to realize some of my most cherished dreams:

Taking the keys to my very own Porsche 911 (my father's unrealized dream) & hearing those heavenly sounds echo off the mountainside as I tear up the twisting roads of Arizona's Rim Country..

Travelling to Europe & exploring my ancestry--Ireland & Scandinavia (maternal side); Germany, Russia, & Lithuania (father's side)..

Returning to Guatemala one day, this time as an adult & with the special respect & understanding of the culture which I have gained from my ongoing interest & exploration. Meditating in the ruins of Tikal & perhaps having the privilege of a personal blessing by an authentic Mayan priest..

And now there is the realization that I would no longer be able to come to this site & experience the smiles, the chuckles, & sometimes even the tears that result from connecting with those who came out of similar bondage & who truly understand..

How could I turn my back on a site that helped to save my life in the first place???

DesertRat

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It's sort of strange (not) that nobody mentioned laziness, cowardice, passivity or procrastination, which I think are the real though unavowable reasons behind millions of daily non-suicides...

Killing oneself is not such an easy thing to do (especially, but not only, when you don't want to hurt others) unless you have a strong motivation -- which, besides feeling immediately trapped beyond hope, can be provided by hate, revenge, as well as love and ideals -- all boiling down to the will of meaning, showing something ("good" or "bad") through one's death. But usually when we cannot find a reason to live, we cannot find a reason to die either (as AuldSoul expressed very honestly and eloquently a few weeks ago).

Sooner or later, both living and dying imply coming to terms with doing it for no reason -- and there is no moral superiority in either choice imo.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Narkissos, you make me want to be a better corpse.

• target
    target

The TV show "LOST"

Target

• daystar
    daystar
    Well, it's hard to beat Mango as a reason to live (then again, there is Mr. Peepers)

Is it strange that I have a very strong sense of deja vu surrounding your post Brigid? I mean, I've read it four of five times now just to make sure and yes, definite deja vu.

Maybe it's the Mr. Peepers/Sting connection.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Well, all right, why is life worth living? That's a very good question. Um. Well, there are certain things I - I guess that make it worthwhile. Uh, like what? Okay. Um, for me ... oh, I would say ... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing ... uh ummmm and Willie Mays, and um, uh, the second movement of the Jupiter Symphony, and ummmm ... Louie Armstrong's recording of "Potatohead Blues" ... umm, Swedish movies, naturally ... "Sentimental Education" by Flaubert ... uh, Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra ... ummm, those incredible apples and pears by Cézanne ... uh, the crabs at Sam Wo's ... tsch, uh, Tracy's face ...

Woody Allen, Manhattan.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I read with interest all the posts on this topic. My teenage child was disfellowshipped in the harshest, coldest manner recently. She was called a liar and then these bullies made her read the scripture in Rev. "Outside are the cowards and the dogs and those disgusting in their filth....and they will burn in the lake of fire with the devil and his angels."

Well, my husband and I had to struggle hard to help our child want to live. Many nights we had to talk to her into the wee hours of the morning. This in turn made it hard for us to want to keep on living. But one thing I told my child was, NO ONE has the right to tell anyone they do not deserve to live. EVERY PERSON ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH HAS JUST AS MUCH RIGHT TO BE HERE AS ANY OTHER. Whether we are fat, thin, ugly, handicapped or badly dressed, we are all in this together. I will fight for the right of every human to be here. I hope you stick around. I plan to.

The depression has been getting better lately as I finally realize that even though my family was nothing to these people, we are still in the family of mankind, and will eventually make new friends. We have to work to make new experiences, now, and look for new things to enjoy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit