What keeps you from killing yourself?

by AlmostAtheist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

There is some good in this world

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Some people seem to have a charmed life. Some just love every adventure.

Some keep reaching and striving for something that they want. And when they get it, reach for something else.

Some have a passion that they thoroughly enjoy (my brother found his musical passion at 12 years old. I'm envious.)

Maybe I've been playing the game of life wrong. Maybe I've been taking life too seriously and maybe I've been taking people in my life a little for granted.

Maybe if I change the way I play the game, I will find it more interesting and more fun.

I'm still working on it, but, for the past 8 years, this has been working for me.

-Aude.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    but the thing that's really kept me here is: the daily text.

Yes, agreed Six! Where would we be without that Man-duh from heaven?

Dave

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I figure I'm going to be dead for long enough. I intend to hang on to life as long as possible to get my money's worth. Hopefully a sizeable proportion will be enjoyable.

• rebel8
    rebel8

For me it's the fact that my life is mostly happy. At low times, it's the hope/belief that things will improve.

If I was ever at a point when I knew objectively that things couldn't possibly get better and my everyday life was full of suffering (ie, terminally ill with no hope of recovery), then I'd do it. (raw honesty)

Fortunately with my experience in healthcare, I knew that depression/psychiatric conditions can skew your judgement....so even if I felt suicidal because of one of those conditions, I know enough to get help & to remember that things can get better.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I haven't found a way to go that would guarantee it would be over. I'm always afraid I'd screw up the suicide and be worse off than I am now. And then spend the rest of my life agonizing about how much of a screw-up I am that I couldn't even kill myself right.
    Other than that, the search for meaning keeps me going. Although I'm beginning to wonder if there is any meaning at all. Perhaps there is no point, no greater purpose. Doesn't greater purpose suggest some kind of design? And doesn't design suggest a creator? Been there, done that. Not interested.
    Or if we evolved, to what end? And if there is no purpose, no point, does it really matter if any of us are here at all? Kinda kicks the whole "I am a unique and beautiful snowflake" idea to the curb, now doesn't it?!
    Err...sorry Dave. Didn't mean to hijack your thread with my insane ramblings. You asked.
    tall penguin

• Warlock
    Warlock

I DON'T KNOW

Warlock

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Irony

• frozen one
    frozen one

When my demons pop up I go to a strip bar and listen to the dancers talk about their real lives. After a few minutes I realize that I live a blessed life. Then I kick back with a beer and enjoy the show.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

2. The other little voices in my head say "if you do that then you make their predictions come true" I was told that I would be nothing without the JW's and my family. It's my mission to prove then wrong.

I agree with Damselfly. I can't give up because my family and my congregation and every JW that ever knew me will use me as an example. And my niece and nephew, and many others that I love, will feel obligated, compelled to stay in the cult because of me.

I have to stick around so I can be there for my niece and nephew if they ever need someone to talk to about JW stuff, someone who will actually talk about it instead of skirting the issues.

Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit