Firearms And Shooting...

by Justice-One 159 Replies latest social physical

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Serious clay target shooter here. This year I'll shoot about 20,000 rounds. 8000 of which will be during competitions.

Do you shoot trap, clay's or skeet? The best I ever was able to do was shoot 48 straight on trap. My Dad was a Trapshooting champ though. He had a TON of trophies.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Nic: I'm stunned. Just when I was learning to shake off some stereotypical views of Americans. There is such a gulf between us.

Nic' (feeling proud to be British) Good day to you Nic. When I was in England back in 2000, there were men with automatic weapons going on a shooting spree across your beautiful nation. Remember that story? I felt so bad for your citizens knowing that they would not be able to defend themselves.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ah yes! Because a streetful of civilians firing back would certainly have lowered the death toll.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I'm stunned. Just when I was learning to shake off some stereotypical views of Americans. There is such a gulf between us.

Trust me, no one is happy about the gulf between our countries than me. Some people just value freedom more than others. But your elitist views are common. I can only wonder how many held those same views as Hitler was bombing you though. Who knows, maybe in the future your little island will have to put out the call to American gun owners again, begging them to send over a shotgun or rifle to protect you from invasion. .... I seriously doubt anyone would send you ANYTHING this time.

BTW, Brits like you make me very proud of the 4th of July. And I'm PROUD to be an American. USA...saving the world's ass for more than 200 years.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Ah yes! Because a streetful of civilians firing back would certainly have lowered the death toll.

It would have certainly saved other citizens from getting killed. Most people in the US, those of us who are not criminals, take great measures to ensure our safety and the safety of innocents. We don't just shoot 'em up. What's the point in that? It rather defeats the purpose. But, if you wish, cling tightly to your stereotypes about Americans. But before you get to feeling too superior, just remember that it does and it has happened in your country too.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

As a matter of fact, it probably would have. But we certainly could not have Brits protecting themselves now could we. After all, in England the law for all intents and purposes reads...."defend yourself and go to jail." What a nation of wussus.

• Buster
    Buster

Justice One: I'll put in some Sporting Clays work this fall. But for now, almost exclusively Skeet.

My best score is 396 of 400. I won the Washington Championships with that one.

I see you are in CA. I shot a bit in the LA area this spring, at Prado Olympic (won that one) and Oak Tree in Newhall (just practice).

I recently bought a new Kreighoff K-80 that I am enjoying immensely (My wife says I 'had better enjoy it,' after what I paid for it.)

48 of 50 is a good trap score. Ever compete?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    But we certainly could not have Brits protecting themselves now could we. After all, in England the law for all intents and purposes reads...."defend yourself and go to jail."

Ain't THAT the truth! (for the Brits: Isn't THAT the truth!) Posting from another thread titled "AMERICANS WHO RISKED EVERYTHING"

I like history and that was a very interesting piece of it, one can understand why the oppressed had to rebel and make such great sacrifices to earn their rights.

Nice to hear that coming from a Brit (which, when you think of it, we were Brits too before the "misunderstanding"). There's another thread on this board where an Englishman can't understand Americans love of guns.....calling us stereotypes. What he should be able to understand is TRADITION. This young nation was able to defend itself against an oppressive monarch because of it's tradition of owning firearms for self defense. Almost every citizen owned firearms....that tradition has been handed down and is held almost sacred for those who have kept the tradition going. In the 1960's a reunion was held in Hawaii between Japanese and Americans who fought against each other in World War II. One of the Japanese speakers noted that there were plans, right after Pearl Harbor when the U.S. was most vulnerable, to invade the West Coast, just to make a statement that it could be done. The West Coast populations were small back then compared to the East Coast. One of the reasons given for not carrying out the plan is that the Japanese knew that almost every other household in the U.S. had a firearm and that there was no chance, numerically for success against those numbers.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I just saw this thread, Justice-One. For my part, I have what I need to protect my family and I don't share the details of my cache with anyone not intimately acquainted with my family. It is no one's business what firepower I have. In general, the only time someone would ever need to know is just before I make their day miserable.

But I will say for penetration an 8 mm Egyptian Hakim is very nice. Never had it jam, either. And for sniping a flip-sighted Mosin-Nagant is tough to beat (and it has pretty grain on the wood for the stock, too). For short range if someone had a breech-load Beretta 12-gauge shotgun with bead sights and from the factory 16" barrel (only 11,000 manufactured) under their trench it would be enough to give your average door-buster reason to pause.

However, I will not let anyone know what I have in the way of firepower. I might just hint at some of it. The Second Amendment was specifically for preservation of the rights of the citizenry to arm itself to protect against tyranny from without or within.

If anyone believes otherwise, you should read A Declaration by the Representatives of the United Colonies of North-America, Now Met in Congress at Philadelphia, Setting Forth the Causes and Necessity of Their Taking Up Arms. Writers I regard as well informed in other respects boldly misrepresent the reason for the inclusion of the Second Amendment. I have read their opinion that it would never have occurred to the founding fathers or the first Senate that our government might in future restrict (i.e. encroach) on the right to posess and use personal firearms.

Yet, removal of the the colonists armaments on the part of the British troops under the command of General Gage (probably without ANY authorization from King George) figured heavily in the decision to resist by force. It is unthinkable that Jefferson (who largely crafted this Declaration of Cause) would not have remembered that governments will oppress the citizenry if they can oppress the citizenry.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• alamb
    alamb

Thank you Auldsoul, once again, for stating what hasn't been put into words yet...and so eloquently...while opening the can of whoop-____.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit