Firearms And Shooting...

by Justice-One 159 Replies latest social physical

• free2beme
    free2beme

My spouse and I have a weapons safe in our house, to keep guns out of small hands. We own several guns, from ones used to hunt with to ones we just like to shoot. There is six in there right now, but at times we have had up to 15 guns. I am very much in favor of the right to have guns, and it is the one things I normally look too, when trying to decide who to vote for in elections.

• Gregor
    Gregor

The only firearm I own is a twelve gauge Mossburg with Pachmyr black rubber pistol & pump grips. Also known as a 'street sweeper'. I used to have a couple of nice handguns but with 5 kids in the house I thought I'd be better off with something they wouldn't be able to load a shell in the chamber let alone get the safety off and shoot it.

It gives me a feeling of some protection in case kid-a and his brother ever come around and tell me to "get out of those little panties and squeal like a pig."

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

The gun that I most want that I don't have (and probably won't have for a long time if ever) is a 1911. They are sweeeeet.

Last week I took an intermediate shooting class. The instructor had me change my grip slightly (tilt my left hand farther to the front and down and point my right thumb up more) to help with recoil and get back on target quicker, and start really working on trigger reset. This, of course, has affected my accuracy a bit for the worse but it's getting better as I practice.

This is harder to do with my Springfield XD9 and my Sig P220 than it is with the range's rental 1911 (Springfield TRP and Kimber Custom II). The 1911s are so slim it's easy (especially the right thumb part)!

I won't be able to afford a 1911 for ages though

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have a Springfield Armory .45 1911, a Romanian AK-47 (SAR-1), a Mossberg 590 12 GA (pistol grip, 18.5" barrel), A Remington 710 in .300 Win Mag, A replica Remington model 1858 .44 black powder revolver, A Ruger Vaquero Single Action in .45 Long Colt, A Desert Eagle .50 AE. I love them all.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I have my grandpa's 1955 Ruger Standard .22 pistol and his Remington 1100 12 gauge.

The coolest gun I've ever handled that I don't own was my great-grandpa's 1875 Parker Bros double barrel. Grt-grandpa bought it used. Grandpa (b. 1904) hunted with it when he was a kid. That was awesome. It's still in the family.

alt

alt

(hope that works)

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

"Squeal like a pig." ... I own that movie also, and that part alway's gives me the creeps. Reminds me of a true story. Back when I was still more on the inside of the JW's, I took an Elder who had just spent the last 18 years of his life at Bethel, on a canoe trip down the river. We camped out in the middle of nowhere, and as we sat around the campfire on that moonless night, the sounds of the wilds could be heard clearly. He say's..."Hey, did you bring your .45 with you?" I opened my jacket to show him my cocked and locked .45 that was in a "butt down" shoulder holster, and said, "of course." He then say's...."Goooooood." He told me he had made the mistake of watching Deliverance just before our trip, and that he thinks it scared him for life. LOL.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Man, that double is REAL pretty! BTW, how do you quote other people's posts? My right click seems to be disabled on this board.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    Man, that double is REAL pretty!

Especially for being 130 years old! And well used...my uncle told me my great uncle used modern 12 g ammo in it (I guess you're not supposed to do that but it worked!)

BTW, how do you quote other people's posts? My right click seems to be disabled on this board.

I don't right click, I just copy (L click) and past into the message, then highlight the quoted portion and hit the "quote" button (the one that looks like a little caption balloon by the smiley face button). Speaking of "well used"...here's the old Ruger Std .22 my grandpa left me...he taught me to shoot at the dump with it. alt

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    My spouse and I have a weapons safe in our house, to keep guns out of small hands

I guess a lot of people arent as responsible, because I thought the number 1 cause of gun death was people taking a gun to their own family by mistake for one reason or another.

The funniest story in the news last week in the UK was a woman tried for murder because she had shot her boyfriend. They had had a blazing row which all the neighbours heard. Then she claimed they had made up, and she was doing a sexy dance for him which involved waving a gun around, and it accidentally went off and killed him. Hmmm.....

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Currently I own a Mark IV series Government Colt 1911. It belonged to my old man and I talked him into giving it to me. It was my first. The following photo is not mine (mine is a little more worn than this one unfortunatly).

I carry a S&W CS40 on a daily basis.

Im getting the itch to buy another. I've been looking at polymer frames and I cant seem to make up my mind as to wether to buy a full size or a compact. I've been giving the Springfield XD's a serious look though. If I go full size I was thinking about either the new XD45 or even perhaps one of the tatical series. But the size and weight of the sub-compact 3" seems real appealing.

Any suggestions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit