Excommunication is good!!!!

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 81 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I really like the JW... exspecially my instructor, she makes me feel happy

Have you told her this? I would if I were you, it will make her day, though I doubt your family will be over the moom about it. The longer you associate with her and other jws, the further you will get from your family. In fact, you will be encouraged to limit contact with unbelievers, including your family, to a minimum when you become a jw.

Consider this: your family love you unconditionally, and will always do so. The jws will love you only as long as you are one of them. If you decide to leave, all the friends you make in the jws, and after a time they will be your only friends, will desert you and shun you. Your family will never do that.

• loosie
    loosie

Full of Doubt is right.

They are accepting of you now, because they want you to join them or like them. It's kind of like when you go on the first date with a guy. He will bring you flowers on that date to IMPRESS you. Marry that guy...10 years later you won't get flowers all the time.

Now as far as this shunning thing goes...listen to my story.

My husband was disfellowship. Yes he was repentant....... he hasn't commited this SIN again in over 10 years........10 years later ( that is over half your lifetime).. they still haven't reinstated him... eventhough he has asked to be. I think 10 years of not commiting the sin should show those men he is repentant. Jehovah God knows he is. But because of the egos of 3 men, they won't reinstate him.

When I was 5 years old my brother was disfellowshipped because of drugs. I continued talking to my brother, remember I was 5 years old. An elder had a talk with me in my kitchen he told me " If you continue to talk to your brother you will die at armageddon". He had me in tears. 5 year olds shouldn't have to decide if they should love their brother or not and shouldn't have to think about their own death at the hands of God. That is wrong..unloving and unchristian. My brother is now a family man, sucessful and a very good person. I still love him and I still talk to him. This happened 30 years ago...they still haven't reinstated him.

Now because of all of this.. I won't let my daughter get baptized. When my daughter grows and comes back home to visit she will talk to her mother and her father. I won't let someone tell my daughter you can't talk to your father because he is disfellowshipped. Because that is wrong. Ask your teacher about the scripture that says " honor your mother and your father"... how is not talking to them honoring them?

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

:( awwww that is so sad. 5 years old... that is so young. Why would someone come out and say that!?
    Quit it... you are making me think now

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Darl, I have so many things to say to you but have to rush off to work today. I'm going to reply to many things you've said, so don't run away! I have a big lump in my heart reading things you say, especially when you talk about the cutting... I wish I could be your big sis and help you out of the mess that's in your head love.

if you are disfellowshiped you are able to be forgiven and come back. Her husband broke in and started talking about (serious sins) like adultry and if I would want to continue talking to my husband if he cheated on me. I told him NO and he made his point there

...Yep you can 'repent' and come back, but what if you've come to a place where you just can't accept it as truth anymore? You can't go back then, and you'll never see your loved ones again. Or what if it's your husband who decides that he can't? Or your children? Would you want to shun them?

she just said if people forgive and are really sad about what they did they can come back

... hey I've forgiven, and I'm really sad, but it would take me about a year of going to the meetings while being shunned, and then I would have to write many letters filled with blood and tears about how repentant I am, and when they decide that I've expressed enough misery I'd have to face a committee of six elders (I've moved across town so the committee would be the three who disfellowshipped me and three from my current cong)... That meeting would be an exam on whether I meet their standards. I wouldn't pass it, because when they ask me what's more important to me, their organisation and my husband, I'd have to answer my husband. I couldn't lie, and so all that effort would be for nothing.

They downplay the cruelties of their faith early on. If you join up, you will learn about it over time, but you'll become one of the people who can't see any cruelty in that.

She made it seem though, as though it should be the congregation (not the individual person) who ignores the member who sinned. She never said the whole congregation should ignore the person who sins, but seemed to imply it.

... Not just the elders and the entire congregation, but every witness friend and family member you have. And as you don't have any non-witness friends and you've ignored your non-witness family all your life, that's every relationship you've ever had. And it's not just at the hall - it's everywhere you go.

I just do not understand, if it is "the faithful and descreet slave" Who are you to judge God?

The faithful and discreet slave aren't God, they're just guys. If you think otherwise, they've got you good.

Please do not give me any watchtower quotes. My father already saw me looking at this site (non JW) and if he found out their were opposers to the religion he might talk to me about NOT joining.

Can you see that it's because he loves you and would be concerned that he'd be losing you? Don't you think your father might want to protect you? And why do you not want to hear it anyway? If you were buying a second-hand car, wouldn't you want to see the old service manual? Or talk to a former owner? That's the old literature, and us... we've been there, we've been what you are becoming.

There's something they'll never tell you, and that is that the journey to understanding God is a lifetime one... even your 'name' tells you that... All my life they told me that 'we' were on the narrow path to everlasting life and 'everybody else' was following the big wide comfy road to destruction. Can you see that it doesn't matter which organisation or group of people you'd hooked up with, they'd all have told you that?

I just... I want to understand, but... I am confused at what is truth. Or maybe I am just blocking you out... because I am scared that I will give into what you say. I don't want others telling me what is right.

Why is it okay for witnesses to tell you what is right but not ex-witnesses or people whose family have become witnesses and have seen what it has done to them?

But honestly... Jehovah God has his reasons. SURE the Elders are in the decision, but they are higher athurioty.

The elders who disfellowshipped me were a janitor, a window-washer and a carpet cleaner. God did not make that decision; three cleaners did. God had absolutely nothing to do with it, and you need to stop that process from happening; you need to stop thinking that humans can represent God. NO human represents God or makes decisions on god's behalf. That is one of the biggest lies they're telling you, and they will be judged for that.

It's good that you're questioning things, and it's vitally important that you never let yourself stop. The harder it becomes, and the more you feel that doing so is insulting Jehovah, the more effective their control over you is becoming. It's uncomfortable to think of it as 'brainwashing' because we all like to think that we're in control of our own choices. Unfortunately some groups focus their efforts on those whose 'heart condition' is right; the witnesses think that they're searching for the deserving and the loving, but in reality witnesses are just constantly rejected by the doubtful so they go for those who are in a weak place in their life. You're prime beef to them. I'm sorry hon but you must be realistic about the place your head has been for a while.

Do you really think that God is so weak and gutless that he needs people and an organisation to do his work for him? And that questioning or doubting those people is the same as doubting him? Because my God is infinitely bigger than that, and you just haven't noticed yet.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Hi Elizabeth, welcome to the board.
    You said, "I come out of remission... what if the congregation saw I cut myself. Would they call that a misuse of blood? Would I be disfellowshipped? Can one before baptism get disfellowshipped?"
    I wanted to comment on this. One of my best jw friends was a cutter. It was one of the ways she dealt with stress in her life, most of it related to the pressures of being a jw. She went through hospitalizations, therapy and medications to help her. She also developed a smoking habit. The elders formed a judicial committee for her smoking.
    One elder said to her, "If you're feeling stressed, we'd rather see you cut yourself than smoke, because we won't have to disfellowship you for cutting." She was in and out of the hospital at the time of these meetings and was disfellowshipped shortly after her release because she wasn't able to stop smoking at that time. She was 18.
    I just thought you might like to know the mentality of people in this religion. There is very little true empathy for emotional/mental distress. Once you get baptized you are subject to the judgement of men with little or no understanding of emotional issues. I've been there my dear. It's not a fun ride.
    tall penguin

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

Why does everyone continually think that I assume I NEED this organization.
    No where did I state I NEEDED it, but I said it helps.
    I don't need an ORG, but I think it help me get closer to God
    It is the way I learn... some people can be independent studying material, but I need help learning.
    "Why is it okay for witnesses to tell you what is right but not ex-witnesses or people whose family have become witnesses and have seen what it has done to them? "
    I am NOT saying that it is not okay to listen to ex-witnesses. I am just weary
    I mean... twice a week for the past month or so I have been meeting with someone who would hate me doing this.
    By this I mean... going on this site. I put so much trust in her... I shouldn't,but... I don't know
    I don't like making anyone feel bad and I don't want to make you people feel bad.
    Everyone here is so nice to me and I don't want to hurt anyone. :( Please do not think that Nothing you say matters to me, because it does.
    Deep inside I know it does, I am just scared to displease my teacher... It is guilt I guess.
    You think she is controlling how I feel? "Can you see that it's because he loves you and would be concerned that he'd be losing you? Don't you think your father might want to protect you? "
    Well... weather I become a witness or not he should respect what I want to do. Weather it is to become a drug dealer (I don't want to), or a teacher to kids in 3rd world countries.
    Anyone who sees this site and knows me... will oppose me and question me.
    I already got some friends mad at me, for even studying with the JWs.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Right now you don't feel like you need the Org.

But after you're a baptized JW, you will. If you read something in the publications that doesn't make sense to you or if you disagree with, you will need to believe what the publications say regardless of what you personally may think.

One of these things they teach is that association with the organization is necessary for surviving Armageddon. You will need the organization to survive, or so you will be expected to believe.

If you're tired or if you have a lot of work and can't make it to one of the meetings each week, you will need to change things so that you can go. You can count on being counseled if there is a decrease in your meeting attendance.

You will need to follow the many rules set by the Org if you are to remain in good standing. And you will need to keep up-to-date since rules change all the time.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    I would never be Catholic.. are you kidding me? I don't except Idoltry (cross worshipping)-- my relatives are Catholic however and some have tattoed the cross on themselves. That is just sick!

Hello, I-follow-the-narrow-path. I am a Catholic lurker on this forum, and I noticed that you have made an interesting claim about the Catholic Church.

May I ask, what gives you the impression and what makes you believe that Catholics idol worship the cross?

Evanescence

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Dear girl, please use a dictionary. Idolatry is not about worshipping the cross, which is a symbol of Christ's sacrifice. According to this definition:

i·dol·a·try (i-dol'?-tre) pronunciation
    n., pl. -tries .
    1. Worship of idols.
    2. Blind or excessive devotion to something.

[Middle English idolatrie , from Old French, from Latin idololatria , from Greek eidololatreia : eidolon , idol; see idol + latreia , service.]

a lot of people in the organisation (jws) could be accussed of idolatry because of the blind devotion they have to the watchtower society.

Josie

P.S. Do you consider yourself a christian? Or do you think you're becoming a christian? If so how can you say that Jesus is not important?

• KW13
    KW13

we've already talked about this. they do not worship the cross, just cos its in the church doesn't mean they do.

for example the Kingdom Hall near me had a brass Watchtower symbol, central above the platform. That means Jehovah is gonna destroy them too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit