UPDATE 2: Since Freedom is Free, Why is it Taxed?

by RichieRich 190 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep (looking at my Target Employee packet) Target does have a credit union, you should know this *wagging a finger at Richie*.

Here's the number for the credit union (800-786-6655) call them and set up an account.

Do it today!!

Josie

• daystar
    daystar

Kid-A has the right idea. I had to do this when my ex started going wacko on me. Someone else might have better info, but I don't think, at 17 years old, she has the right to your money.

Also, you might explain to her that her taking all of your money means that you have no way to plan for moving out, since you can't be certain how much money, if any, you will have at that time with her keeping it all.

• caligirl
    caligirl

So sorry that is happening Richie.

That stinks. But truly, as of Saturday, she legally can't take your check or anything else- the only thing she could do is charge you rent if you stay. Open a bank account on Saturday morning, and put all your money in there. Even if she finds the statement, she can't do anything. Now that you will be 18, you can get an ATM card to access your funds, so you won't have to carry cash that she can confiscate.

Maybe one of your school friends has a spare room that their parents (if the situation is explained to them) would allow you to occupy or rent from them if the heat gets too much at home. ALso, if you move out, even if it is temporary, it may impress on your mom that you are not willing to be bullied for using your God given free will. Maybe it would be a bit of a wake-up for her to know that you won't be easily controlled.

And yes, getting a PO box for your mail sounds like a good idea.

Hang in there!

I WISH my 18 year old step son had wanted to leave like you did. He lives with his Mom, and since he turned 18 las month, we are essentially being shunned.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    definitely set up a private bank account.

Agreed. If you already have an account, you might want to start a new one at a different bank. I had to do this because my father was getting printouts of my bank account activity. Fortunately, the banks have better security these days.

Go the direct deposit route. If your mother asks why you aren't getting cheques lately, tell her that you accidently broke something at work, and they're deducting from your paycheques until the item is paid off.

Learn how to play the game better than your opponent.

• daystar
    daystar

Oh wait! I see we share a birthday! Yeah, no, she has absolutely no right to your money, legally, as of Sat.

• undercover
    undercover

I've been gone awhile and I come back to find out that our buddie RR has been through a world of shit in the last week or so.

Rich, the price of freedom is sometimes very expensive. Your mom is a diehard JW. Nothing you do or say at the present time is going to faze her. She thinks she has God on her side and that your are being deceived by the dark forces. So, naturally she's going to act a little (or a lot) strange. It's tough now, but take the high road for as long as you can. Show her, in time, that you are the mature one. Show her that being free of religious oppressiveness does not make you bad, evil, possesed or any of those other things that JWs always hear about "apostates". This won't happen overnight either. It may take months or years till she gets to the point to accept you as Richie Rich, a son who grew up to be his own man and live life on his own instead of little Rich who should still be under her control and accepting of her religion.

Good luck RR. I'll send you a PM when I get a chance. Until then, this is excellent advice:

If you dont already, open a bank account ASAP, and tell Target you want them to directly deposit your paychecks into this account.
    That can't stop her from charging you "rent" but it keeps her from controlling your money and how it is managed.
  • Hellrider
    Hellrider

I would just like to repeat a comment from the JW-troll Oroborus (Eduardo) from that other thread:

I think there is one lesson, however, for others similarly situated as yourself, and that is that they should be better prepared to face the consequences or for exiting the Organization if that is what they desire. I am a bit shocked that you seem to have put no thought into savings or planning for your future. In my opinion a young man of 18 should be prepared to leave the nest, including establishing your own bank acct, savings, part-time job, and cell-phone (when you are able to enter into a contract for one). I hope you will be able to pull things together and be truly free AND independent.

...bank account, savings, part-time job, all of that doesn`t help much when dealing with JW parents. They`ll take it all away, make problems for you, all under the disguise of "parenting", while it in fact is an attempt to hold you down and push you back into the cult. Oroborus knows this, of course, but wants to paint a prettier picture of JW-mentality. I bet Richies mothers dream is that he repents, gets down on his knees, cries and says he`s sorry and begs to be forgiven by Jehobah (or, "the elders", which is his proper name). When I was in a similar situation (a couple of years younger, with a young pioneer from the congregation assigned to my case, as I had no father by that point), I eventually had a back-pack all packed and ready in my room, and had decided to run away. Luckily, by that time, things cooled down, and they gave up on me. Who knows what might have happened if not. If people only knew the pressure JW-kids are under when trying to get out...

Lol,but you calling it "taxes on freedom" is cool though, shows you have a sense of humor on this. You are very brave man, allready planning for an appartment and stuff at the age of 18. You sound very strong! To me, all of that crap made me really depressed.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Open a bank account, get your money paid into it.

At the moment shes angry because she doesn't know who you are, you lead a double life for so long and now she has trust issues with you. If she asks for your money tell her the truth, tell her it's been paid into the bank because you believe she is going to kick you out and you need money saved up for a deposit. That places the blame fairly in her court.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Kid-A is right, tell your employer you want direct deposit of your pay into your checking account.

If you don't have achecking account yet, it is time to get one. In fact, get TWO, and you'll have one to use for PAYPAL. Like when friends send you a gift.

I think that you may have to tell your Mom that you will not sit idly by and let her cripple your future.

She is treating you as though you are an object through which she can gain the admiration of the "untrained volunteers" who call themselves elders. Yeah, well I call myself POPE, so THERE!

This weekend will be your 18th birthday and on that day, in the eyes of the law, you become a legal free agent, a man.

...and WE'RE the BAD GUYS! we're the APOSTATES! (shudder)

• mustang
    mustang
    You might want to get a PO box to get your things sent to instead.

Count on this, too. My "old man" used to open my mail.

This can happen to you.

Best wishes from another "Tarheel".

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit