UPDATE 2: Since Freedom is Free, Why is it Taxed?

by RichieRich 190 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Yesterday after school I had to go work on a project with friends. Mom said be home by 5, but there was a huge accident a mile from where I live, and I sat on the road for like 10 - 12 minutes, and was 5 minutes late getting home. Mom was there (didn't go to work- guess why) and she was pissed.

She made me give her all the cash I had in my pocket, which was about 50 bucks, which is enough to buy my lunch, get a drink at work, and buy gas until my next paycheck. She said she had already found the money in my room (roll of 20 dollar bills- maybe $200 total) And that she was keeping it 1) because having money means I can do what I want and 2) because I've been using HER internet and HER house and HER food. Ok.

So I'm like "keep the cash, its cool with me- but I'm not missing school or work- so if I don't have gas, you can drive me." She didn't like that.

So she got ready for the meeting, and left. But when she pulled out of the Driveway- she took my CAR. She took my key to her car away last friday, so I guess this was so I couldn't go anywhere.

Last night was when they announced that RichieRich is no longer a Jehovah's Witness. I totally understand that this is problably one of the hardest meetings mom will ever attend.

She didn't come home until at least an hour after I expected to return. And she was mad when she got home.

She went on not being able to trust me, blah blah blah.

Then she said "since we need to be able to keep track of you (at this point, I'm thinking i might get my cell phone back) when you get paid from now on, you will bring your check home to me. I will go with you to cash it, and I will give you an allowance for gas, food, and the like."

Now, I don't think I said this before, but I'm only "approved" to stay in my home for about 2 weeks after I graduate high school. It was agreed upon that from there, my mother has no desire to deal with me anymore.

At the time, I thought that would be fine. I make a decent honest wage at Target, and I am management, So my pay rank is more than double minimum wage.

My plan was to just start saving for an apartment, and looking for a roommate.

But mom is getting ugly, and with no money in hand, any action I take could land me squarely on my ass.

THEN- this morning- I open my car to find shit strewn everywhere. My school bookbag was completly dumped and the package that I recieved from a poster here was gone. A quick peak in my mom's locked vehicle showed the package laying on her seat. Weird- she never mentioned it last night.

Shes playing mind games, and I'm on a team by myself.

Things just took a turn for the worst, and I'm a little scared.

Oh yeah, I got shunned by two people at school today. Awesome!

• jstalin
    jstalin

Hey guy - sorry to hear about all this. I feel bad for you. Find yourself a couple of roommates and then rent should be affordable. I know you'll do fine for yourself.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You need a secure place to store your stuff, outside of your parents' house. Find one now.

Josie

• Dune
    Dune

That sucks man.

You might want to get a PO box to get your things sent to instead.

I understand your situation though, I have no idea how my rent will act if i just up and left the organization.

www.roomates.com is a good site (was looking when i went through this situation).

Also, if you're going to college you might find some pretty cool people to bunk with.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

damm Richie. I feel sorry for you bro. Play mind games...remember the how to deal with the Judicial Committee thread I posted .... red tie, shiny shoes, etc? same thing... YOU DON'T NEED THIS RIGHT NOW! So...play mind games, pretend you are in a movie, YOU ARE THE DIRECTOR, so now, just play along with mom, just for the moment tell her she is right bla bla bla, just kissup/apologize, do something for her.. just a shot thinking of you holmes ... "gangsta's 4 life"

• Bryan
    Bryan

Sorry to hear Rich. It's not easy, I know. Your mom taking the cash and chech, then doling out allowance is tough. Not sure if I'd stand for that one. Your mom planned on kicking you out already? A couple of weeks after you get out of school? That's wierd. You surely don't sound like a lazy guy.

I don't know dud, you're 18 in a few days. The way mom's going, you won't be able to save to get out. Unless she plans to hand you the cash back two weeks after you graduate as she kicks you out.

As far as her saying you're living in her house, etc. Sure, you should help out with a few expenses around the house, but you are her child. It is her resposibility to take care of you. At least until the weekend.

Sounds like a toxic inviroment. Hope you can find new digs.

And hey! Don't so anything stupid out of depression or a rage, like drugs or something. You need that mind for college!

Take care,

Bryan

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Richie, mom is just very shocked and upset right now. Her reactions are normal. She may calm down after a bit of time goes by. Try to ride out the storm as best you can. Meanwhile, we are here for you. If you need cash, I'm sure we could figger a way to get it to you. Try not to panic, you have friends watching your back, and who WON'T forget you. It's called unconditional love. Terri

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Richie, this is a time in your life when your parents will show their true colors. Each of my parents did a complete 180. My mother became the better person, and my father who I always got along with turned into a complete asshole. It was a shock and a half, and it was difficult to get through.

when you get paid from now on, you will bring your check home to me. I will go with you to cash it, and I will give you an allowance for gas, food, and the like."

This is WRONG. Those cheques are made out to you, not your mother. What she's doing is illegal. Get yourself a bank account and deposit your cheques. You're going to need them.

What she's doing is making you completely reliant on her. My father tried doing the same thing to me when I tried to have freedom. I was paying rent and couldn't go where I wanted. He told me he was going to charge me $10 for gas for every band jam and every show I went to. I began taking taxi cabs.

This is going to be one of the hardest points in your life. You're going to feel betrayed, hurt, depressed, and many other things. If I were you, I'd move the hell out because it's only going to get worse. I wouldn't doubt if you move out before you finish school. I know I couldn't handle the BS my father was handing down. Oh yeah, don't be surprised if there's some personal belongings that you can't take when you move out. For me, it was my guitar amp.

This is the time where you forget that "honor thy father and thy mother" shit you learned at the Kingdom Hall, and begin standing up for yourself. It's going to hurt like hell standing up to your mother, but you'll need to do it if you want your freedom back.

If your mother wants rent, agree on a price with her instead of letting her have anything she wants. She never told you when you were younger that you need to pay her back when you become an adult.

I'm so sorry you're going through this shit, dude. I've been through it, and it's stressful as hell. But hang in there, your life will pick up when you get out on your own. However, there's only so much crap one person can take.

• kid-A
    kid-A

She said she had already found the money in my room (roll of 20 dollar bills- maybe $200 total) And that she was keeping it

WTF??? Dude, thats your money, she has no right to that at all. If you dont already, open a bank account ASAP, and tell Target you want them to directly deposit your paychecks into this account.

Your mother wont have any access to this, and dont even tell her about it. When are you going to college, in september? Is it out of state? If so, as the others suggested, find a cheap apartment with

some buddies until you move to your new college, but definitely set up a private bank account.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    WTF??? Dude, thats your money, she has no right to that at all. If you dont already, open a bank account ASAP, and tell Target you want them to directly deposit your paychecks into this account.

Kid-A is right and it's easy to do. It may not happen with your next paycheck but it can be done and I think Target even has a credit union for it's employees (I just quit working at Target). Go today to a bank or a credit union and open an account and get direct deposit. There's not a thing your mother can do about that and you can restrict access to your account - she won't be able to touch a penny - I know cuz used to work in a bank and a credit union as a teller.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit