Ghosts, Demons, or Imagination?

by ButtLight 180 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

BL. Have you read Hans Holzer's book: GHOSTS...True Encounters With The World Beyond. Haunted Places, Haunted Houses, Haunted People. Take a journey to the world beyond...

Visit hundreds of haunted places around the world. Learn how to make contact with "the other side" Read about ghostly manifestions of all kinds, from phantoms to poltergeists --learn about the scientific investigations that have uncovered and authenticated them.

It's 760 pages long with lots of information and photos. This might help you to get to the bottom of all you have been through.

Blueblades

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Medpage Today
    April 10, 2006
    Michael Smith
    Sleep Aberration May Play Role in Near-Death Experience

----

LEXINGTON, Ky, April 10 - So-called near-death experiences -- the widely reported sensations, in times of peril, of floating above the body, seeing a white light, and having a sensation of peace -- may be related to poorly regulated arousal systems in the brain, according to researchers here.

In a case-control study, people who reported near-death experiences were more likely than controls to also report elements of an aberration of the wake-sleep cycle known as REM intrusion, said neurologist Kevin Nelson, M.D., of the University of Kentucky.

<snip>

The study found:

* Overall, 60% of the cases recalled one or more element of REM intrusion, compared with 24% of the controls. The difference was statistically significant at P<0.001.
    * 42% of the cases but only 7% of controls answered yes to the question: "Just before falling asleep or just after awakening, have you ever seen things, objects or people that others cannot see?" The difference was statistically significant at P<0.0001.
    * 36% of the cases but only 7% of controls answered yes to the question: "Just before falling asleep or just after awakening, have you ever heard sounds, music or voices that other people cannot hear?" The difference was statistically significant at P<0.001.
    * 46% of the cases but only 13% of controls answered yes to the question: "Have you ever awakened and found that you were unable to move or felt paralyzed?" Again, the difference was statistically significant at P<0.001.

<Snip>...

• osmosis
    osmosis

When topics like this erupt, I feel obligated to shamelessly plug two things.

1) www.randi.org (check out the online encyclopedia of claims, frauds, hoaxes, occult & paranormal. as an added bonus, look under "J" and tell me what you see LOL)

2) Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!" series is both amusing and educational. I highly recommend it.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I could in no way make a claim that everything in the universe can be fully comprehended by modern science. No man know where the end of eternity is. There is still much that we do not know. To think that what we do know is all there is, is to actually put limits on infinity.

Can't be done.

An indivual's reality is not open for anyone to condone or negate. It just is.

• osmosis
    osmosis

Apostate Kate: I don't recall anyone claiming the modern science can "comprehend" the universe. In fact, I don't actually know for sure what you mean by that, as though science is a living thing that "comprehends". Perhaps you don't quite know what science is. In any case, noone made that claim, whatever that claim may have been.

Just what is "an individual's reality"? By the very definition of the word, there can be only one "reality". Surely you must mean "thoughts" or "subjective experience" or something more like that.

I don't recall anyone "condoning or negating" anyone's "subjective experience".

Everyone: I do, however, resolutely reject the notion that one's subjective experience can be elevated to the level of objective reality, as is often attempted by people who can't tell the difference between what is clearly a subjective experience, and something objective or real.

If it's objective, then I should have equal access to it. If it's not, then don't expect to be able to have a cohesive discussion about it, because it's happening exclusively in your own head.

You people who propogate this BS about paranormal events are essentially elitist and condescending, inherently implying that you have access to knowledge that most others do not. If I don't believe your crackpot nonsense, it's because I've "never had an experience", and the typical insinuation is that it's because I'm somehow too ignorant to have one, or that my eyes are closed to them, or I've already made up my mind not to have them, while somehow you are just magically able to see them with no apparent effort.

What a load of egotistical, condescending, self-important crap.

Just shut up and show me the money. If you've got evidence, let me examine it and decide for myself. If not, quit pretending you know something I don't.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    You people who propogate this BS about paranormal events are essentially elitist and condescending, inherently implying that you have access to knowledge that most others do not.

Y O U seem to be the one that is elitist and condescending!!! No one is claiming in any way to be superior because they have certain experiences that others do not. If those damn spirits would stay still long enough, I'd photograph one for you. Apparently, they like to remain mystical, probably laughing their heads off at the "stupid" humans that can't figure them out. Just because you haven't personally experienced meeting one, doesn't mean they don't exist.

If I don't believe your crackpot nonsense, it's because I've "never had an experience", and the typical insinuation is that it's because I'm somehow too ignorant to have one,

I'm beginning to think that maybe you're right on about this one!

or that my eyes are closed to them

It could be that you blink a lot and MISS the action!!!

, or I've already made up my mind not to have them, while somehow you are just magically able to see them with no apparent effort.

Again, you could very well be stating the obvious!!!

What a load of egotistical, condescending, self-important crap.

Back at ya!!!

Just shut up and show me the money. If you've got evidence, let me examine it and decide for myself. If not, quit pretending you know something I don't.

It's really rude to tell people to shut up...guess your mom didn't wash your mouth out with soap enough! It's not up to us to PROVIDE you with evidence...get out there and do your own research and find your own apparition! Don't expect us to supply you with one!

Swalker

• osmosis
    osmosis

Yes it IS up to you to provide the evidence.

The burden of proof is on the claimant. You are the one claiming something (whatever it is) so it is up to you to provide some evidence.

Again, show me the money. After thousands of years of recorded history and mystical experiences, after countless thousands of people have tried endlessly, why is there not a single shred of credible evidence?

Or is that a "rude" question to ask?

As for why I don't go off looking to prove or disprove each and every crackpot claim I hear, I simply don't have the time. Should I go and spend my life looking for a real dragon? Am I ignorant or elitist for not believing they exist? What about fairies, gnomes, pink elephants, unicorns, elves, god, etc.?

Again, show me the money, or stop implying you know something that I don't.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Osmosis:

Wow, that was so unbelievable mean, rude and y'know...

I get tired of hearing people treat others who believe that they have had an experience just the way you are treating us.

You are seriously the straw the just broke the camels back dude.

later

• Legolas
    Legolas
    What about fairies, gnomes, pink elephants, unicorns, elves , god, etc.?

Hey listen buddy...I have to set you straight.....My Legolas exists alright....and don't you dare say he doesn't...LMAO!

• Van Gogh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit