Australian Nazi regime?

by Norm 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep
    As far as I can see, the current Australian regime is really popular in the polls for their "stand" against the refugees.

Yep...your right it seems. Talk back radio here is scary here. Ignorance is bliss with a lot of people. People like to get angry at someone or something. With Dubs its 'this system of things', with other people its immigrants or whatever happens to be in the news at the time.
    I haven't been over there for awhile, but on the the ninemsn.com.au discussion board under 'news', all it was a few weeks back was: 'Get rid of illegals'...'feed them to sharks' etc. It was pretty pathetic. And these people just use the same arguments too (if you can call them that)...say the same emotive things over and over.

• Norm
    Norm

More decent Australians and others

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=185860

I just wanted to let people in Norway know that not all Australians support the actions of our Government with regard to the refugees aboad the Tampa.

Many of us are ashamed and embarrassed. First of all to ask the Tampa to pick up the refugees from a sinking boat, and then to refuse the Tampa entry to Australian waters. And the final shame, to send the army to board the ship!

The refugee situation is not an easy one for Australia. Community opinion is very divided, and it is fair to say that a majority does support the government. There is strong opposition to the idea that these people are "jumping the queue", and a belief that many of them are economic refugees rather than people in fear of their lives, because ordinary people could not afford the thousands of dollars paid to the people-smugglers.

Other people point to the fact that Australia does not have a very large quota of refugees anyway, and that we could do more to meet international obligations. Obviously there are no easy answers.
    But nothing justifies the government's shameful actions. Even more shameful for us, our opposition party (supposedly social democratic) is supporting the government, and the only party to speak out is the Greens.

Anne McMenamin. Australia

I live in Australia and have been witness to the media frenzy in the last few days over the horrible situation that has been created for Asylum seekers and the crew of a Norwegian ship off the cost of Australia.

The reason this situation has developed is due to the quest of our unpopular conservative Prime Minster to win the racist vote. Before this event unfolded the newspapers were full of news about his party being involved in pulling scams and not following its own tax policies that are a heavy burden on all members of the community.
    Now to look strong our leader is refusing to help these people stranded in the middle of the ocean. He is trying to look like a man of action since he is highly unpopular and an election is looming. To do this he is using hundreds of innocent people as political pawns.
    As a member of the Australian community I would like to say that I think this ship and the asylum seekers aboard should immediately be able to enter this country and that any other policy is inhumane.

Brett Munckton
    Melbourne, Australia

The obscenity of Australia's reaction to the situation of the people on the Tampa diminishes us all. Embattled Australian Prime Minister Howard, facing almost certain electoral defeat no doubt, believes he can revive his fortunes by touching the racist, exclusionist, electorally valuable, nerve that has for so long bedevilled Australian politics.

I refuse to believe that Australians are so myopic, so fearful, so barbaric. We have here a boat of 438 people, all of whom were desperate enough to risk all on a disabled, leaky, rotten, boat to escape from their misery, and who were properly and commendably rescued from death by a sensible and ethical Norwegian captain and his crew. Let us all pray that Australia's response doesn't deter other captains from following the same, correct, course in future. Perhaps it may even be Australian sailors in danger?
    This is not a time to quibble or to run up the flags of future deterrent or of ethnic or cultural purity. Whatever the "politics" of the situation, 438 men women and children are in a dire situation on the high seas. Every minute that they remain there reduces us all and gravely damages Australia's reputation in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Rod Hagen
    Anthropologist
    Hurstbridge, Victoria, Australia

I must apologise for the way the Australian government has acted towards the courageous crew of the Tempa and the plight of the asylum seekers.
    The Australian government is at the moment struggling to come to term with the number of people seeking asylum. I and many others do not agree with the policies that the government has developed with regards to these issues and strongly detest the way in which they have acted in the last few days.
    Please don't judge all Australians by the way you might see the government acting.
    I hope this whole matter is resolved quickly and compassionately.

Douglas Galbraith
    Brisbane, Australia

Those people who are apologetic about Australia's action in relation to the asylum seekers on the Tampa are in a minority. The fact is in several polls, an average of 95% of Australians support the government's actions and I don't find it surprising. The smuggling of illegal migrants from Indonesia is just getting out of control with intelligence claiming several thousand more are on their way.
    Current detention facilities in Australia are at bursting point and this situation is unsustainable. Australians are supportive of refugees but what we don't appreciate are the "queue jumpers" who with a lot of money, buy and bribe their way to Australia and unfairly displacing legitimate refugees who have gone through the proper processes. We need to send a tough message to the smugglers that Australia is not a soft target.

Eddie McGuire
    Melbourne, Australia

To the people of the world, on behalf of the majority of Australians who are shocked and appalled by their government's actions, I apologise. We often postulate and pontificate to the world on Human Rights, our credibility is now gone. How we can ever be an effective operator in International politics now is beyond me.
    To the Norwegian people, the refugees and the international community, I have nothing to offer but my apology. Please be assured that this does not represent the views of the majority of Australians.
    To John Howard (PM), I remind him that history will judge him for this. An immoral, unjust, illegal, barbaric and unnecessary act.

Karl Davis
    Sydney, Australia

Indonesian people smugglers are making huge sums of money from queue jumpers wealthy enough to fly to Indonesia and hire one way only boats to Australia.
    Australia is now saturated with illegal immigrants, which we feed, clothe, house, educate and provide with medical and dental care. Australia is still spending millions of dollars freeing and supporting the people of East Timor from Indonesian tyranny.
    The Captain of the Tampa picked up these boat people in Indonesian waters and was taking them to the nearest port at Merak, Indonesia. The boat people 'forced' him to return to international waters where he asked Australia for food and medicine but not initially for medical aid. Australia agreed to supply these but forbade the ship to enter Australian waters. The Captain chose to defy this order and Australia had no other choice but to assert its sovereignty which it every right to do.

Shirley Andersson
    Melbourne
    Australia

I am writing to let you know of my embarassment at the Australian Government's actions in this incident. It is a national disgrace and, for the first time, I am ashamed to be Australian.
    Please understand that the current conservative government does not reflect the opinions of most Australians. They are an incompetent rabble, pandering to the ignorant and bigoted and fully deserve international condemnation for this madness.
    It defies belief that a country that supposedly prides itself on fairness and egalitarianism can act in such a dismal, inhuman way.
    On behalf of many Australians, I apologise to the people of Norway.

Scott Chapman
    Sydney, Australia

I can only hope that Norwegians do not judge all Australians or our country by this deplorable situation. Personally it makes me feel ill to think that my country is acting so inhumanely and callously towards these helpless boat-people.
    There are many people, both in public office and private individuals, who are equally outraged and upset at our government's handling of the situation, and the opposition's complicity.
    I can only hope for a speedy, humane and sane resolution of this crisis and that the current environment of hostility towards refugees and asylum seekers may end soon.

Toby Driscoll
    Australian,
    currently living in Denmark

The fact is Australia gave and continues to give humanitarian aid to these people and to thousands of others.
    My taxes pay for that.
    Australia welcomes people from all over the world .... IF they apply legally to enter our country.
    The second verse of our national anthem contains the words ... "for those who've come across the seas we've boundless plains to share ... with courage let us all combine to Advance Australia Fair" This holds true ... IF THEY APPLY LEGALLY TO COME HERE ... even Norwegians come here.
    Nobody asked Australians to defend your country in World War II but Australians did it anyway ... think about that for a moment.
    This is not a personal attack on your staff ... just another more truthful view from the other side of the world.

Pete Konnecke
    Sydney, Australia

I would like an opportunity to thank and congratulate the captain of the Tampa for his courageous actions today in sailing in towards Australia. He seems to be one of the few people with a heart in this whole affair. I hope the people of Norway will be very proud to have him as a citizen.
    I am personally embarrassed that the government of my country has sent commando troops on board the Tampa. If it is any consolation I would like to extend a personal apology for such an act.

Eamonn Sheridan
    Randwick, New South Wales, Australia

The people of Norway and their royal family are an example to us all, as are the Norwegian ship's captain and crew who are acting so responsibly towards the passengers of their stricken ship.

This is probably politically incorrect, but if all societies and religions could embrace such sane attitudes regarding the worth of the individual, the world would be a safer place.

We hear far too much about the Taliban, and far too little about you Norsemen. I think it's time for Norwegians to have more say. Please tell us how to bring up our children!
    Yours sincerely,

Anne Riach
    Scotland

• Prisca
    Prisca

Facts are, that this isn't the first group of illegal boatpeople trying to get into Australia.

Recent vox-polls show that up to 90% of Australians do not want these guys to enter Australia.

While Australians have no problem with helping out genuine refugees, who enter the country by legal means, there is no reason why Australia should be expected to continue to accept illegal refugees who think they have the right to pay people smugglers $$$ and jump the immigration queues.

• Zep
    Zep
    Facts are, that this isn't the first group of illegal boatpeople trying to get into Australia.

So when does a Refugee or Asylum seeker become 'legal' Prisca. When they walk down the only road in Afghanistan and apply at the local Embassy.
    Refugees flee trouble...they dont stick around and fill out papers.

Recent vox-polls show that up to 90% of Australians do not want these guys to enter Australia.

What if everyone wanted to jump off a bridge. Would that make it smart..or right

While Australians have no problem with helping out genuine refugees, who enter the country by legal means, there is no reason why Australia should be expected to continue to accept illegal refugees who think they have the right to pay people smugglers $$$ and jump the immigration queues.

You cant jump a queue that doesn't exist...Refugees are refugees, they flee trouble, thats it. Their may be some that arn't genuine in this load of people. But what about the ones that are. Do they go back to Afghanistan...or Iraq? How do you know what you have on that boat if you dont assess them! If they are from Afghanistan, they are most likey going to be approved.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Zep,

If they are genuine refugees, then they are able to claim asylum in Australia. Remember when Australia brought in plane loads of Kosovar refugees last year? We welcomed them, because they were in genuine need.

The government is stamping down on illegal immigrants who think that by paying a few thousand $$$ to the smugglers, that they can escape the laws of this country. And the government has very good reason to believe that is the case with these people on the Tampa. They are not refugees, they are illegal queue jumpers.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Norm:
    Could we agree upon the fact that this probably is the first time ever the two of us agree on something?

• Norm
    Norm

Hello Oldhippie,

You said:

Norm:
    Could we agree upon the fact that this probably is the first time ever the two of us agree on something?

Thats very nice, how does it feel? I think if we sat down to talk, we would find that we would agree on a lot more. But you wouldn't dare phone me would you?

Take care,

Norm.

• Kent
    Kent

I get sick of reading hypocrite drivel.

Jan G said:

IT is difficult to distinguish true refugees from queue jumpers until they have been properly processed. Already we have a whole lot of people who are being sent back because they aren't true refugees ... and we have to foot the bill of keeping them and paying to send them home also.

At least we asked the ship to pick them up ..... most of them don't get seen in time and there are a lot of these boats that have sunk killing 150 plus men, women and children each time.

Somewhere, somehow, we have to convince them to stay put and come through normal channels.

Then Prisca turned up:

The government is stamping down on illegal immigrants who think that by paying a few thousand $$$ to the smugglers, that they can escape the laws of this country. And the government has very good reason to believe that is the case with these people on the Tampa. They are not refugees, they are illegal queue jumpers.

The ones screaming about love and support - the ones with fuckin "Christian values" - the ones running so called "support boards" - they are the ones proving to be cold blooded bastards - talking about lots of shit instead of the fact that people were actually in danger of drowning!

Talking about who is "real" refugees, and about "normal channels".

I'm sorry to say - but I really hope the two of you really learn how to be a refugee - trying to flee your country - for some reason or the other, and find some assholes like yourself in the other end. People talking about "Christian" values - turning their backs - and let you fuckin die!

What a bunch of hypocrites! How the Hell do the two of you DARE talking about "supporting" people? I'd say you've blown your cover as human beings!

Harsh words? YES! I happen to be a human being - and I don't like murder - not even on Muslims!

Yakki Da

Kent

The most significant difference between Prime Minister John Howard and Hitler, is the fact that Hitler is dead.

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Kent, you've weighed in at the tail end of this thing. We've been taking a steady stream of such refugees for many years now, and no Norwegian has patted us on the back. Now that one of your ships is involved you've suddenly noticed us and decide to scream blue murder. Is that entirely fair? Have you noticed that East Timor has achieved independence and is now able to hold a democratic election largely due to Australia's involvement? We have our humanitarian impulses too. You keep spitting and hissing names like "Nazi" and "Hitler". Wipe the foam off your chin and admit defeat: according to Godwin's Law YOU'VE LOST!

Oh, and if you want to discuss this in the correct forum (this one is about JWs, I believe), get over to the aus.politics newsgroup - this issue has been running hot for several days with the odd Norwegian weighing in. You should enjoy the testosterone laden posturing going on over there!

• Kent
    Kent
    Kent, you've weighed in at the tail end of this thing. We've been taking a steady stream of such refugees for many years now, and no Norwegian has patted us on the back.

So has most other countries, and Australia isn't the countru with most problems.

Oh, and if you want to discuss this in the correct forum (this one is about JWs, I believe), get over to the aus.politics - this issue has been running hot for several days with the odd Norwegian weighing in. You should enjoy the testosterone laden posturing going on over there!

Go fuck youself! I don't ask your permission to talk, neither here - nor anywhere else.

We're not talking about giving anyone a place to live, we're not talking about not sending them back if they're not "legitimate" refugees. We're talking about not helping human beings dying!

Australia has made an ass of herself all over the world, and the actions deserve the use of words you don't like. It's just so interesting to see WHAT kind of people thinking this is a great idea!

I know what to say the next time someone is talking about support!

As for having lost - the world laughs at you - except neo-nazis!

Yakki Da

Kent

The most significant difference between Prime Minister John Howard and Hitler, is the fact that Hitler is dead.

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit