WTS: NO MORE BOUND VOLUMES AFTER THIS YEAR!

by Mary 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I just found out today (from my sister) that Crooklyn will NOT be making any more bound volumes of the Watchtower or Awake magazines after this year------instead, they're all going to be on Audio tape only. She does not have a computer so I generously offered to see if it was just audio or if they were in printed form too. Nope, audio only. They'll still be making the regular hard copies each month of the rags, but unless you save them, that's it. The only question is: Will they still make updated versions of the WT CD-ROM since it's caused them so many problems?

I think this could very well be yet another tactic of the GB trying to keep a lid on their "embarassing" quotes of yesterday. Without the hardcover of the bound volumes, and if they stop making the CD-ROMs, it'll be alot harder keeping track of all their nonsense.......

Your thoughts on this latest development?

• kristyann
    kristyann

That kind of stinks because that's how I located quotes that I needed and stuff... is there any way to get a hold of the actual magazines (not bound volumes) unless you save them? I guess I am just going to have to make more regular stop-offs to the laundromat and grab all of the new ones all of the time.

You know, that is one thing that has always amazed me, anyway. I can't believe they even make bound volumes at all. I'm not too surprised that they are discontinuing them... because I could never believe that they made them. I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop here... but in the bound volumes... did they ever change things around from the originals? Or were they actually stupid to re-print all of the dumb things they said in the bound volumes, the same as the originals? Did they ever make changes or not?

• skyman
    skyman

I have a hard time believing this. Where did your sister get this information, is she a CO's wife or at Bethel? How?

• gumby
    gumby

instead, they're all going to be on Audio tape only

Say huh? How do you put written material on audio? Someone is going to read all the volumes and they'll put it on audio?

If your assumption is correct Mary about keeping the lid on things as a reason, then the dumb bastards seem to forget too quickly that apostates can duplicate and make available everything they've written in the past and the only ones they can hide their past crap to is new braindead recruits.

Gumby

• Mary
    Mary

Skyman said: I have a hard time believing this. Where did your sister get this information, is she a CO's wife or at Bethel?
    Oh ye of little faith....what am I to do with thee? No, she was told this at the meeting today when she went to order her bound volumes. She was handed the CD Audio tapes, (which I generously played for her) and she told me that the brother behind the literature counter told her that this is the last year for the bound volumes. She was upset because she doesn't have a computer and won't be able to play them.

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbers asked: How do you put written material on audio? Someone is going to read all the volumes and they'll put it on audio?

Yep. That's exactly what it is, because I just played February's Awake magazine and it's a brother narrating the whole thing.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

You must mean that they will put it on CDROM only. Bound volumes in audio doesn't make sense. Either way, they should have stopped producing those bound volumes long ago. My wife still insists on ordering the annual volumes when she knows its on CD too. I'll be happy when I no longer have those ugly brown books on my bookshelf. About as useful as the 1982 version of the Enyclopedia Brittanica.

• Mary
    Mary
    You must mean that they will put it on CDROM only. Bound volumes in audio doesn't make sense.

I guess. I'm looking at one right now. It's the March 1, 2006 Awake! It says on it:

Audio recording of w06-E 3/1 g-E 3/06

I put it in my CD player and it's audio only. The question is: why are they not going to make the bound volumes any more? I say it's to try and put a lid on potentially more damning quotes that they've come up with.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    About as useful as the 1982 version of the Enyclopedia Brittanica.

Surely you meant 1882.

u/d(of the doesn't want to insult Brittanica class)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Well I always thought the bound volumes were a damn nuicance because of all the space in our tiny house we had to devote the the buggers. But also I think discontinuing them in BAD. Bound volumes should be available as an academic resource, just like every other journal that are kept in libraies and universities.

Forgive me for being stupid, but do you mean they will now only be available on a recording that you can listen to, or that you can read? Because the former would be a TERRIBLE idea, but the latter would be not so bad as it would be still quite easy to research using a CDROM.

I definately think they are making it harder for ordinary people to find out things from past magazines, with a view to obscuring and confusing the stupid things they have said in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit