WTS: NO MORE BOUND VOLUMES AFTER THIS YEAR!

by Mary 88 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness
    kristyann: I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop here... but in the bound volumes... did they ever change things around from the originals?

All the time! I can't remember exactly which one but there have been plenty of quotes and illustrations changed once the bond volume came out...one specific one that stands out is a WT cover illustration that was changed because the artist of that particular pic sued the WT for using it without his permission..but that was somewhere around the 70's I believe.

Audio must be CD ROM. Right? We can't be talking about simply tapes here! My mom has everything on CD from the WT nowadays.

What a shame..they discourage computers/internet and yet everything they use nowadays even at Crooklyn is in that form

• Scully
    Scully
    they're all going to be on Audio tape only

Who in their right mind would want to make audio recordings of Watchtower publications?

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were using some subliminal hypnosis techniques....

Blah blah blah blah blah [support the Worldwide Work with your contributions] blah blah blah blah [the Internet is full of Apostates™] blah blah blah blah [it's really ok that we have pedophiles in our congregations] blah blah blah blah

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness
    I guess it is more related to saving $$

Good point. Anyone notice how most of the WT books are in paperback form nowadays (even the standard black NWT bible) and the bond volumes

Paperback is much cheaper to produce then hardcover..suddenly Crooklyn is gettting cheap on us folks!

• Mary
    Mary

Why do they need a computer for audio???

I think they're under the impression that they do. Hopefully, someone will tell them that they just need a personal CD player to hear this stuff, which they may not have either. However, in the future, (assuming that they still will make the WT CD-Rom, then they will have to have a computer to research stuff and this is something that some of them won't be able to do.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hopefully, someone will tell them that they just need a personal CD player to hear this stuff
    Or... we could just... keep it between us.

• Scully
    Scully
    Paperback is much cheaper to produce then hardcover..suddenly Crooklyn is gettting cheap on us folks!

It's even cheaper to mass produce CDs like their WT CD ROM library [something in the order of 5¢ per copy if you are purchasing the blanks in bulk] but they expect people to donate as much as $50 or $60 for them. And they don't even pay for the labor that goes into producing them!

• Kaput
    Kaput
    All the time! I can't remember exactly which one but there have been plenty of quotes and illustrations changed once the bound volume came out...one specific one that stands out is a WT cover illustration that was changed because the artist of that particular pic sued the WT for using it without his permission..but that was somewhere around the 70's I believe.

The Johnnie Walker ad controversy: http://www.cftf.com/online/1998AprJunp06-07.html

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>t's even cheaper to mass produce CDs like their WT CD ROM library [something in the order of 5¢ per copy if you are purchasing the blanks in bulk] but they expect people to donate as much as $50 or $60 for them.

This was one of things that I caught even while a true-blue dub. I read that in the km where they were suggesting $50-100 would be a reasonable contribution and I thought, "Dudes, you can't be serious. You paid NOTHING to produce this, and you want $50?!?" I usually gave $5 and considered it a gift. $50, my a$$.

Dave

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Without the bound volumes, the only thing the JWs will have is the WT CD-ROM to look up past articles.

There's the key, right there. The plan would be to make past issues of the magazine available ONLY on the CD (Watchtower Library), and of course the CD can only be acquired by brothers in good standing so they are already limiting its circulation. I think it's a small thing to further limit circulation by coding them in some way so copies cannot be made. If this rumor it true, this is about control.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I think Ballistic is right. They have to warm up the big rotary presses at the end of each year and print all these big books brand new, they do not bind magazines in book form. They are trying to eliminate all hardbound books because of the expense of using the slow hardcover machines (my Bethel roommate used to work on a "casemaker", and I was floor overseer of bldg. 3 floor 6 where all the Bibles were printed). They are making the Bibles paperback now! It is a BIG savings in $$$ as they would expect the dubs to buy the bound volumes at typical bookstore prices, which would be about $30 each for a hardcover book of that size. No way would the dubs pay that, and they are probably donating at most $5 each for them. Another way of trimming costs and manpower, especially the manpower and overhead. A sign of the last days! (for Brooklyn). LOL

Randy Watters

Net Soup! http://www.freeminds.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit