WTS: NO MORE BOUND VOLUMES AFTER THIS YEAR!

by Mary 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

That is a weird way to save them. Audio, how very weird. Can see them only being on the CD-ROM though, has got to be expensive having to bind those magazines up. I can't I'm surprised they are doing away with the bound volumes at all.

Balsam

• delilah
    delilah

I just played February's Awake magazine and it's a brother narrating the whole thing.

Mary, I give you credit. you actually sat and listened to the guy drone on....without falling asleep????? I find this info interesting....and I think I'm inclined to agree with you Mary. That, and perhaps it's a hell of a lot cheaper to do it this way?!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

BUT BUT BUT....

How will the brothers do "research" without bound volumes or CDs?

Nah - I think they will have to keep the CD around for that reason. After all they can just change the text each year to correct mistakes for each new version.

• Mary
    Mary
    katiekitten asked: do you mean they will now only be available on a recording that you can listen to, or that you can read?

The CD's that my sister showed me today were: one CD for each of the magazines. From what my sister said, they're still going to make the WT and Awake in their monthly and semi-monthly magazine format---they'd have to. Otherwise, how would you place them at the doors? However, Witnesses have always been able to have the previous years' magazines all in one bound volume. I believe there was another book that had all the word references and the dates so you could find them easy.

Without the bound volumes, the only thing the JWs will have is the WT CD-ROM to look up past articles. Obviously, the powers that be aren't too keen on the public having access to past blunders, (as we can see from their lawsuit against Quotes) and my own opinion is that this is one sneaky way of controlling the information once again.......

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I haven’t read all the replies to this tread, but I don’t think it’s a big deal if they stop printing the bound volumes, even the Britannica has stopped its printed volumes its only on CD now. I did hear an announcement in the KM that CD’s will be available on a yearly edition now, which I believe should make research a lot easier then looking up bound volumes, everyone is trying to save paper these days, but I think its still a good idea to keep the separate Watchtowers editions if possible because if the GB stuff up more then usual then they change it on the CD version before its released.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

They are clealy moving towards making research of the past as difficult as possible.

Is it possible for anyone other than JW's to get hold of the CDROMS?

• Mary
    Mary
    CD’s will be available on a yearly edition now, which I believe should make research a lot easier then looking up bound volumes

But these aren't visual CDs-----they're audio. Kinda hard to do research with an audio tape..........

• gumby
    gumby

It could also be a way to generate more cash if the recordings are more than a bound volume set.

How'd like to be the poor bastard brother who gets assigned to read some of the material for recordings? The poor bastard might become one of us. Hell, Leo Greenlees was the voice on many of the NWT on cassette tapes..... and look what happened to that bald little bastard!

Gumby

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

What I meant to say was the regular CD that we are getting now will be available in a yearly edition, I think the audio ones are just a reading of the WT edition mainly needed for the impaired.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

How the hell can ANYONE do any research on an AUDIO cassette? THATS IMPOSSIBLE. If this is true, that the CDROMS will only be in AUDIO and not written in text that can be downloaded and read (which is what I was trying to get at with my original question) - then this is the most stupid confusing and blatantly obscuring move they have ever made.

How can you look up anything? How can you find a quote, or a passage or cross reference anything, or copy it and send it to someone, or share it in any way with another person? How can you write and index of topics?

Will there be NO annual WRITTEN collection of magazines? Other than collecting and keeping every issue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit