Seriously, they`re burning down our embassys now.

by Hellrider 88 Replies latest social current

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

I feel guilty for my previous post because I think it sounded prejudice. I want to hopefully clarify it a little more. My son has a friend who is muslim, and he is the nicest kid. I shouldn't say kid, he is 21 now and going to school to be a doctor. But, he grew up here in the U.S. and he is kind and accepting of other religions. I think the danger is in the militant, radical islam. It does seem to be some type of brain washing. Just like we saw the lack of love in the JW organization, these people should start to see that there is something very very wrong with this militant and violent type of islam that wants to chop off peoples heads, do you know what I mean? Anyway, I just wanted to clarify because I know not all muslims are the radical violent brand. And I do think the newspaper was stupid for printing the pictures, but the reaction to them is just ridiculous. I believe in freedom of speech, but I also think you shouldn't intentionally insult someones racial, ethnic, or religious beliefs. But like I said, the reaction is insane. What about the things the president of Iran has been saying about destroying Isreal? You don't see all the Jewish people in the world joining in violent protests againsts Iran or the arab world, and what he said was much worse in my book than a bunch of cartoons.

NowImFree

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    And I do think the newspaper was stupid for printing the pictures, but the reaction to them is just ridiculous. I believe in freedom of speech, but I also think you shouldn't intentionally insult someones racial, ethnic, or religious beliefs.

I agree. At first, I too thought that printing them was just really stupid, and that it shouldn`t have been done. It was just an insult to the religious beliefs of moslems (on the other hand, I`ve seen charicatures of Jesus a number of times). But now that I see the reactions, I think that it was right to print them. If, not the majority of moslems, but ...well, more than just a minority, are willing to burn down embassys and threaten europeans with war and violence over this, then there is something seriously wrong with Islam.

The latest news is that they are now attacking the Danish and Norwegian embassys also in Beirut. The danish one is allready burning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4682560.stm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/02/05/cartoon.protests/index.html

• TopHat
    TopHat

"Islam's are coming" Yes that is true! They are everywhere in the state of NY....not just NYC.....They have businesses in little towns all over the state. They stand out of course because of their dress. However, they are overly friendly in the small welfare towns. No one seems to mind that the Muslims are taking over the town. Go Figure!

• z
    z

A Belgian-Dutch Islamic political organization posted anti-Jewish cartoons on its Web site in response to the cartoons of the prophet Mohammed that appeared in Danish papers last year and offended many Muslims.

The cartoons were posted on the Arab European League's site on Saturday. It was not working Sunday morning because of exceeded bandwidth.

The site carried a disclaimer saying the images were being shown as part of an exercise in free speech rather than to endorse their content - just as European newspapers have reprinted the Danish cartoons.

One of the AEL cartoons displayed an image of famed Dutch Holocaust victim Anne Frank in bed with Adolf Hitler, and another questioned whether the Holocaust actually occurred.

Dyab Abou Jahjah, the party's founder and best-known figure, defended the action on the Dutch television program Nova Saturday.

"Europe has its sacred cows, even if they're not religious sacred cows," he told the program.

Denying the Holocaust is illegal under most European hate speech laws, which outlaw intimidating or inciting hatred toward groups on the basis of their ethnic, cultural, religious or sexual identity. Complaints about alleged hate speech are common but prosecutions are rare and convictions very rare.

The AEL espouses nonviolence but has gained a reputation for extremist views, and opposes Muslims integrating with non-Muslims. It promotes the participation of Muslims in political dialogue in European countries, but is internally divided as to whether or not to participate in elections directly.

It stood in Belgian elections in 1999 and 2003 under different names but failed to get more than one percent of the vote. The Dutch arm has had problems finding a leader and has said it has no immediate plans to participate in elections.

On Sunday, violent demonstrations in protest of the cartoons continued in Beirut when an angry mob set fire to the Danish embassy in the captial. Security forces fired tear gas at the crowds and their weapons in the air in a desperate attempt to stop the onslaught.

Casualties, fires and damage of public property were reported.

The protest quickly degenerated into violence when groups of Islamic extremists tried to break through the security barrier, prompting troops to fire tear gas and water cannons from fire engines to try to disperse them, said the official.

Troops also fired repeatedly in the air and over the protesters heads to keep the protesters away.
    Witnesses said at least 10 injured protesters were carried away in ambulances.

• z
    z

Beirut today

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

We've supported Saddam,
    the Zionists,
    despotic Egyptians,
    the Turks to do their evil bidding on the Kurds,
    the christian Lebanese against the muslims,
    the US was looking to support the terrorist in Algeria against the secular government,
    the Taliban,
    despotic Pakistanis,
    and then we complain about the state of the muslims. We make our bed we lie in it. It's that simple.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

A-kid,

""The problem is not that all muslims are terrorists, its that almost all terrorists are muslims"

Sadly, this is the truth. "

You can say almost the same about the CIA. What percentage of the US population does the CIA represent. My perception is at least 50%. My perception goes further and it is that 50% of US citizens are terrorist sympathisers. So we have 150 million terrorist sympathisers.

• Pole
    Pole

Some of the cartoons depicted Muhammed as a terrorist. This was obviously an exaggeration, but it was meant to imply that there is some potential in various strands of Islam to kill over religious issues. Obviously many of those religious issues are only superficially so, and the root cause is some form of political injustice. Having said that, however, I think those who've set fire to the embassies and those marching in London with signs saying: "Europe, your 9/11 will come" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4683002.stm) in response to a few cartoons are dangerous victims of religious brainwashing.
    Some European catholics might be very upset about a picture of say the pope getting a blowjob, but I doubt they would be ready to kill over the issue. This is because they understand it would be the most stupid thing to do and that it would deny the core values of their religious message.

Let's face it, we can't call the WTS religion a cult on the one hand, and defend Islam as a perfectly safe religion per se on the other. There's a dangerous element of totalitarianism and dying for nothing but the ideology which we may pretend to ignore, but it shows from time to time.

There is an interesting case, which probably illustrates the core issue here. We have a small community of Tatar muslims in Poland. They've been living here for the last 600 years. They have gone the same path of religious relativisation as most Polish Catholics. They may feel strongly about their religion, but when faced with a blasphemy they will never consider using violence over a strictly religious issue.
    What is interesting is that they even find it difficut to understand "fresh" muslims coming here from the Middle East. They perceive them as fanatic and militant. I guess it shows the cultural leap we're seeing here.

Pole

• Pole
    Pole

Spectrum,

Your comments are utterly irrelevant. We're talking about the reaction to a few cartoons published in a Danish newspaper and about the Danish and Norwegian embassies being burnt in response to that. How is that related to the operations of the CIA?

Pole

• Soledad
    Soledad
    You can say almost the same about the CIA. What percentage of the US population does the CIA represent. My perception is at least 50%. My perception goes further and it is that 50% of US citizens are terrorist sympathisers. So we have 150 million terrorist sympathisers.

Huh?

something is wrong with this statement!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit