What is a Born Again Christian??

by TopHat 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• barry
    barry

All christians are born again when they beleive. The problem with some penticostals is that to them born again is speaking is toungs to be saved . Some penticostals have hijacked the born again doctrine in this way.

• reaper
    reaper

Yes Kate, you are totally right. We are Born Again once we accept Jesus Christ as our saviour and repent of our sins. We are then a new person in Christ. The physical act of water baptism is an outward confession to others that we are a new creation in Christ. For me, getting batised as a Christian was an amazing experience, far different to my JW experience as a child of 7.

If we had to get baptised in order to become a Born Again believer, then how could a person accept Christ on a death bed?

• reaper
    reaper

You made a good point Barry. My wife and I now speak in tounges, but it was not a requirement of being Born Again. It was after we got saved, that we got filled with the Holy Spirit and then started feeling totally different. In fact we both said we would not be drawn into all of that stuff. How wrong we were. The Holy Spirit is so loving, so gentle and so kind that he does not force himself on anyone. He is our comforter, so that is why we love him so much. This year we have had a few pressures in our lives, such as our youngest daughter 'kicked out' her husband in May and was suing for divorce. Then about 5 months later our oldest daughter of 37 was diagnosed with Lung Lymphoma.

But God is Good, and he sustained us all. When our youngest daughter heard about her sister, she texted her husband who phoned her to say, 'Oh not Naomi, it should have been me' NOT HER. Soon after that Lisa our youngest got back together with her husband, and her 2 little boys have got their Dad back, and they are all BA Christians and last night we heard that Lisa is having another baby. Our oldest daughter Naomi did not want to know about 'religion' as she put it. She and her husband had got our of the CULT, and they did not want to know about our 'new religion' as they put it. But the Lord is great, he put my Son In Law into the path of a BA Christain who is his drinking buddy, and has taken the place of his Father.

The great news is, that both Naomi and her husband have now accepted Jesus into their lives. What makes all of tis amazing, is that the Holy Spirit did it HIS WAY, which was gentle and kind. Naomi is getting plenty of healing prayer and is also on chemo, plus my wife being an 'alternative practitioner' is using many natural products to help her. Thankfully the Lymphoma has not gone anywhere else, and we have a knowing that she will make a complete recovery.

By the way, her husbands WHOLE family are JWs, and his Dad is an Elder. We are now praying that they ALL be released from Satanic captivity.

• TopHat
    TopHat
    The prophecies I have seen about Jerusalem since leaving the WT are staggering. 1917 was the pivital year, NOT 1914. General Allenby the British Army Officer who liberated Jerusalem in 1917 totally fullfilled Bible prophecy and the WT totally missed it, because they focused on 1914.

That is a new concept I have not heard before.....but Jerusalem is hardly liberated today. They are fighting to live in peace.

• oldiesman
    oldiesman
    All christians are born again when they beleive. The problem with some penticostals is that to them born again is speaking is toungs to be saved . Some penticostals have hijacked the born again doctrine in this way.

This is an important distinction to make. If you read Acts 19: 1-6, folks got saved under the ministry of Apollos, however they knew nothing about speaking in tongues. Then Paul came in, and taught them about speaking in tongues, and they spoke in tongues. They were already saved, however the speaking in tongues was evidence, proof, that they received Christ when they first believed (under Apollos). They could have spoken in tongues right then when they got born again, but obviously Apollos didn't know anything about it so he couldn't impart that knowledge.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oldiesman:The only flaw in your reasoning is the assumption that all Christians [have the ability for / are given that] particular gift.

Why do you suggest that they could have spoken in tongues right off the bat? Do you have any evidence that all Christians spoke in tongues back then?

• myelaine
    myelaine

Deut 26:16-19

Then Moses, with the elders of Israel, commanded the people saying: keep all commandments which I command you today. And it shall be, on the day when you cross over the Jordan to the land which the LORD your God is giving you, that you shall set up for yourselves large stones, and whitewash them with LIME.

You shall write on them all the words of this law, when you have crossed over, that you may enter the land, which the LORD your God is giving you, a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD God of your fathers has promised you.

Therefore it shall be, when you have crossed over the Jordan, THAT ON MOUNT EBAL you shall set up these stones, which I command you today, and you shall whitewash them with lime.

And there you shall build an altar to the LORD your God, an altar of stones; you shall not use any iron tool on them. You shall build with the whole stones the altar of the LORD your God, and offer burnt offerings on it to the LORD your God.

You shall offer peace offerings, and shall eat there, and rejoice before the LORD your God. AND YOU SHALL WRITE VERY PLAINLY ON THE STONES ALL THE WORDS OF THIS LAW. (Deut 27:1-8)

love michelle

• oldiesman
    oldiesman

LittleToe,

It would be an impossible task for me to prove that all Christians spoke in tongues back then, and I really do not wish to get into a discussion on the availability of speaking in tongues, on this thread.

I would say that all Christians had/have the ability to speak in tongues.

I believe this because I believe all Christians are given the gift of holy spirit, when they are born again.

Please forgive my crude example, but I look at it like a battery, in a vehicle. The battery is there, it is resident power. But in order for the power to be made manifest, the individual has to put the key in the ignition, step on the petal, and drive the vehicle. I liken speaking in tongues to that. It is a manifestation of the inward presence of the holy spirit.

But what I wanted to stress in my prior post was, that there is no requirement to speak in tongues in order to be born again or saved.

The holy spirit is there to those who believe Romans 10:9, whether or not one speaks in tongues.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not doubting the ability of the Holy Spirit to enable anyone to speak in tongues, but I am doubting whether or not it is the will of the Father that every believer be given that particular gift.

• myelaine
    myelaine

"But in order for the power to be made manifest, the individual has to put the key in the ignition, step on the petal, and drive the vehicle"

I drive a white mustang GT...v v room..v v room... v v roooommmm....

love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit