What is a Born Again Christian??

by TopHat 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TopHat
    TopHat
    hellfire, isn't that a jw buzzword? They are the only I know who use it on an almost daily basis

NO carla, Hellfire is old old teaching that goes way back to who knows where...and no I don't believe any of us go to a place like "Dante's Inferno" when we die.

• Triple A
    Triple A
    hellfire, isn't that a jw buzzword? They are the only I know who use it on an almost daily basis

When I was a kid, there were still a few ministers that would deliver very power messages about sin and its effect on our salvation and when the pastor gave one of these it was said that he preached "hellfire and brim stone". Today we are still instructed about sin and its effect, but the message is really subdued.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Here is a forum for born again Anti-Catholics christians www.fresh-hope.com I got banned there

Evanescence

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I always thought as a JW that a Born Again Christian was a christian denominination, like Baptist or Catholic. But now I understand it is anyone who accepts Jesus as their saviour.

There are fundamentalist Christians who use the expression 'Born Again' with much frequency. And I think that sometimes people believe that if you are 'Born Again' you are one of those extreme type Christians.

I still believe in Jesus/God. I have accepted him as my saviour. In fact I plan to get baptised early next year. But I certainly don't think of my self as an extreme Christian. Nothing like I thought Born Again Christians were in my JW days.

Eva - why did you get banned from the forum?

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Others believe that you are "born-again" at Baptism.....

Eva - why did you get banned from the forum?

Long yet complicated strange twisted story, but the admins excuse was the fact that I created a sock-puppet

The admin is every Anti-Catholic and a lot of times she would ban Catholics for no reason, there was a bit of a "double-standard" over there.

Evanescence

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    the admins excuse was the fact that I created a sock-puppet

A sock puppet? I must not understand what a sock puppet is because I can't see how that would possibly relate to a forum and a consequential banning.... odd.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

A sock-puppet means a second account...

I created a second account because I was temorarily banned (I disagreed with a joke they made and the admin banned me)

Evanescence

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I understand that it has a perjorative sense in the USA, which probably explains Ozzie's comment.

Yep.

Actually I fail to see the need for the label "Born Again Christian" as if that makes one superior to another who simply says they're a follower of christ, i.e. christian.

I can see that it's different up above, i.e. in the USA, but down here, underneath youse lot, I can't say that I ever really hear it that much in my christian circles.

But, for what it's worth, I can repeat LT's own response up above.

Cheers, Ozzie (permanently upside-down class)

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    I can see that it's different up above, i.e. in the USA, but down here, underneath youse lot, I can't say that I ever really hear it that much in my christian circles.

I must say I never really heard of the terminology either... I believe you are "born again" at baptism

Evanescence

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:We don't really use it here, either. Some of the Pentecostal churches might, but given that a number of them are anti-doctrine, they're unlikely to fall into the FUndamentalist category, either.

Evanescence:Why do you think it occurs at baptism?

I ask because I would be of the opinion that an individual can come to a relationship with Christ and receive the "sealing of the Holy Spirit" without getting anywhere near water.

The baptism is surely just a demonstration of something that has already occured within?

Or are you telling me that a child has been "born again" if they happen to be raised in a paedobaptist tradition, like the Roman Catholic church?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit