Some Inexpensive Gifts We Can Make for Christmas?

by Frannie Banannie 55 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
  • MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I realise this isn't what you had in mind - but got me thinking about those poor JW kids looking out of the Kingdom Hall windows on Christmas Day and seeing all the normal kids playing on their new bikes etc. Some of those kids will be on here in a few years' time.

I'd like to print off a selection of 'BullS**t Bingo' cards, so those kids could SMILE on Christmas Day. (Obviously with words appropriate for age group)....and if I knew how to distribute them, I probably would!

Keep up the knitting Lady Lee - they really are super gifts for a young girl. My Mum used to knit for my Barbie/Sindy dolls so they were always 'Designer' - I don't know anyone who knits anymore, it's refreshing to see that someone still does:)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

bttt - I love this thread!!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***Annie, those ideas show you have so much talent! You're gifted, sweetie! I'll just bet everyone enjoys everything you make

Ahhh...thanks, my pal. I sure hope so! BOY do I wish we could get together in person and YAK!!!! (and thanks for this terrific thread!)

Lee!
    I used to churn out tons of "Barbie" clothes back when my girls were little! Everything from sunsuits to ski outfits! I even made tiny afghans, ponchos and shawls from leftover yarn. You can crochet (or knit) purses for Barbie (or for Ken if you wanna! ) they take 5 minutes and very little yarn!

I found that sometimes the tiny garments were more challenging than the normal sized ones! I can't knit or crochet any more (regulating the tension is futile after my first stroke---I tried!) and my regret is NOW the ponchos-capes-bolero jackets look is "IN" again....I wish I could whip these up for my grand-daughters and nieces!
    I LOVE your work, BTW!

***we put some leftover Christmas wrap through the shredder and popped some inside each mug as "filler".

Scully!!!
    What a GREAT idea!!! I have "tissue paper" on my list for shopping today! I have lots of leftover odds and ends paper that got very brittle from last year that I wondered how (or IF) I could find a use for! I guess now I know what I'm gonna do with it! Thanks!

Cybs,

NICE to see you posting again---I MISSED YOU! I made a gift for the CO and his wife one year (cuz I really liked them both SO much) by taking a couple of 4" squares of fabric and some cotton batting, and sprinkling cinnamon and ground cloves on the squares and tne sewing them up (like small potholders). I added lace (rick-rack would do too) and they are coasters for putting hot cups on....the heat activates the aroma and they smell very inviting and really nice. I don't see why they couldn't be used at Christmas, with all the great holiday-related fabrics out today! I had forgotten all about making these!

Odrade,

I LOVE those ideas! How can anyone NOT get a laugh from that!!!

I love this thread too!

hugs to all,

Annie

• DevonMcBride
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

Now that I have begun to write this----I have forgotten who mentioned it...sorry

But here are two links for TP covers and more....

http://www.crochetnmore.com/toiletpaperdollcover.htm

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/bath.html

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

LadyLee...not sure if anyone else mentioned this or not...but you should put some of your stuff on ebay if you have time to make more.

Those outfits are very cute!

My mother in law makes dolls, but she started off her business making clothes for cabbage patch dolls. She doesn't do that any more, but just dolls she has designed and made her self.

Some great ideas here!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I print out pictures from the net on my color printer, then frame them with frames from Goodwill.

I'd like to see some of those, Blondie! I'll bet you can really find some pretty ones online.

Our neighborhood goes neighbor knocking and leave presents on the porches, rings the bells and run.

Some have been:

2 Liter Sprite with a package of microwave popcorn attached. Sign says, "Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, Oh what a good neighbor you is."

2 Liter Rootbeer with a can of chili. Sign says, "Have a rootin' tootin' Christmas."

Snowglobes out of mason jars with glitter and a dollar store figurine in it turned upside down and a ribbon around the cap.

A "Giving Plate" of home made goodies to be passed on when it's empty so the plate can keep on giving.

Cute snowman coffee mug with a spoon dipped in chocolate and crushed peppermint patties.

They are simple but cute and inexpensive if you have an office full of friends or a club. Some of the best gifts aren't clutter. Like movie tickets or Blockbuster coupons with a bag of popcorn and some pop.

Oooooohhhhhh, that sounds so fun, alamb!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I'd like to print off a selection of 'BullS**t Bingo' cards, so those kids could SMILE on Christmas Day. (Obviously with words appropriate for age group)....and if I knew how to distribute them, I probably would!

LOL! Go for it, Midwich Cuckoo!

bttt - I love this thread!!

Me, too, MrsJones5......wish I'd thought of it sooner!

I sure hope so! BOY do I wish we could get together in person and YAK!!!!

Oh, me, too, Annie! You and a buncha other posters on here.....wouldn't we have just a wonderful hen party?!!

Here are links to easy to make goodies from Semi-homemade cooking with Sandra Lee on the Food Network.

Thanks for those links, DevonMcBride. They sure will come in handy!

Now that I have begun to write this----I have forgotten who mentioned it...sorry But here are two links for TP covers and more....

Oh, me, too, Annie......and these are great to have! Thanks!

• Scully
    Scully

Here is a recipe from the December 2004 Martha Stewart - Living magazine:

Peppermint Marshmallows(makes sixteen 2-inch squares)

Vegetable oil cooking spray
    2 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon light corn syrup
    4 packages (¼ ounce each)
    ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
    2 large egg whites
    2 teaspoons red food coloring

1. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray; line bottom with parchment paper. Coat the parchment with cooking spray, and set pan aside. Put sugar, corn syrup, and ¾ cup water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring; let mixture come to a boil. Raise heat to medium-high; cook until mixture registers 260°F on a candy thermometer.
    2. Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over ¾ cup water in a heatproof bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Set the bowl with the gelatin mixture over a pan of simmering water; whisk constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in extract; set aside.
    3. Beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Whisk gelatin mixture into sugar mixture; with mixer running, gradually add to egg whites. Mix on high speed until very thick, 12 to 15 minutes.
    4. Pour mixture into lined pan. Working quickly, drop dots of red food coloring across the surface of marshmallow. Using a toothpick, swirl food coloring into marshmallow to create a marbleized effect. Let marshmallow stand, uncovered, at room temperature until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight. Cut into squares.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit