Some Inexpensive Gifts We Can Make for Christmas?

by Frannie Banannie 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

someone told me you can make those exfoliating soap bars. Get the melty crafters soap, and a loofah. Wrap plastic all around the loofah and tape it in place. Melt the soap and pour it in the loofah all the way to the top. Let it cool and harden. Unwrap and slice with a sharp bread knife into 3/4" slices. Wrap in cello wrap with a bow.
    They look really cool! Like fruit slices! I thought it sounded cool anyways.

• Scully
    Scully

One year, for my kids' teachers, I bought festive looking coffee mugs quite inexpensively at a craft store - like Michael's. Then I picked up a single serving of specialty hot chocolate for each of the mugs. The piece de resistance was making a batch of homemade peppermint marshmallows to go along with the package. Each gift was less than $5 total, including the wrapping and filler (we put some leftover Christmas wrap through the shredder and popped some inside each mug as "filler").

I have the recipe for Peppermint Marshmallows, but it might take me a little while to find it. Basically, use any recipe for making marshmallows, add 1 tsp peppermint extract, then pour in pan prepared with a dusting of icing sugar. Before the marshmallow sets you might want to sprinkle a few drops of red and/or green food colouring on top and then swirl through with a knife to get a marble pattern. Then dust the top with icing sugar when you're happy with how it looks. Place plastic wrap over top and allow to set. Once set, you can cut into shapes using a sharp knife dipped in hot water, or use cookie cutters. Dust the "raw" edges with icing sugar. Put a few marshmallows in plastic wrap and tie tightly with a ribbon (exposure to air will make the marshmallows dry out and harden).

Another really easy thing to make is Peppermint Bark. You can use white, dark or milk chocolate chips for this recipe. Melt an entire package of chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth. In the meantime, crush peppermint candy canes with a rolling pin or in a food processer. Prepare a cookie sheet by placing a layer of waxed paper on the surface, then pour the melted chocolate over the waxed paper making a thin layer of chocolate. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the crushed peppermint over top. Allow to set, and then break into chunks.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Be careful what you ask for

LEE!!!!!! Those are just adorable! You're very creative! Did you just think those up yourself?

I think frannie bananie bread sounds good with or without nuts.

I am rather holiday challenged: this is the first year I have had anything to do with the holidays for some 20 plus years. I think potholders are kind of fun. You can get fabric paint and draw some of your own designs on fabic and then sew them into very personal potholders. You can decorate cheap dish towels too. Sew some placemats with matching napkins...I will have to think more on this one--it has been awhile. I was just at a craft fair and was fascinated by the crocheted toilet tissue cover with the doll head on top of it. ; Almost would like to make some of these as a tongue and cheek gift.

Definitely the nutty kind, Cybersis! LOL! Those are some very creative ideas, too. Reminds me of the linen "breakfast set" my g/ma taught me to make when I was 7 yrs old. You just take 2 yrds. of linen in a pastel (or bright nowadays) color, cut it in half and stitch around the outside edge of one yard of the fabric, about 1/2 inch from the edge. Then pull all the threads out that are outside the 1/2 inch "seam" stitched around the edge. It makes a small fringed tablecloth for a small square table. Cut the other yard of fabric in 4 equal-sized pieces and do the same (stitching 1/2 inch from the edge and pull the "outside" threads) for 4 fringed napkins to complete the set.

That toilet tissue cover reminded me also of bathroom commode sets (tank cover, lid cover, etc.) that I used to make from upholstery fabric. I would make the lid cover like a tennis racket cover with velcro on one side so it could be slipped over the lid and make the lid look "pretty" whether up or down. Then there were the frou-frou lid covers that I stitched yards of ruffled tulle around the top in circles and I would pin a pretty silk rose to match in the center. That'd make a pretty tissue cover idea, too.

Boy! Yall're giving me tons of ideas and resurrecting some old ones.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I like giving Christmas-grams to my sisters and children. fill a holiday cup with holiday candy and attach a computer or home made Christmas card and red/green/white helium balloons.

Desbah, that's a really cute idea! And so easy to do!

someone told me you can make those exfoliating soap bars. Get the melty crafters soap, and a loofah. Wrap plastic all around the loofah and tape it in place. Melt the soap and pour it in the loofah all the way to the top. Let it cool and harden. Unwrap and slice with a sharp bread knife into 3/4" slices. Wrap in cello wrap with a bow.

They look really cool! Like fruit slices! I thought it sounded cool anyways.

Odrade, that just sounds so unique and novel! I'd have never thought of that, but it sounds really pretty. I'll hafta try that.

One year, for my kids' teachers, I bought ;festive looking coffee mugs quite inexpensively at ;a craft store - like Michael's. ; Then I picked up a single serving of specialty hot chocolate for each of the mugs. ; The piece de resistance was making a batch of homemade peppermint marshmallows to go along with the package. ; Each gift was less than $5 total, including the wrapping and filler (we put some leftover Christmas wrap through the shredder and popped some inside each mug as "filler").
    Scully, those sound so pretty and scrumptious! What a great idea! Thanks so much for the recipes!
  • cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Another really easy thing to make is Peppermint Bark. You can use white, dark or milk chocolate chips for this recipe. Melt an entire package of chocolate chips in a double boiler until smooth. In the meantime, crush peppermint candy canes with a rolling pin or in a food processer. Prepare a cookie sheet by placing a layer of waxed paper on the surface, then pour the melted chocolate over the waxed paper making a thin layer of chocolate. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the crushed peppermint over top. Allow to set, and then break into chunks.

And if you want to get really fancy, when it's soft press a pretty cookie cutter (snowflake, house, heart) into the Peppermint Bark. When it's set, wrap it in pretty cellophane, tie it with a ribbon and, voila!, you have an edible ornament with a future use for cookies.

I love Christmas!

Nina

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Did you just think those up yourself?

Yup. I've seen patterns on the net but prefer to make my own. I've been working with beading and sequins (can't find the image of the one with sequins). It's fun and I make them up as I go. Each dress or outfit is unique.

My granddaughter says her friends love them when they come to visit. And she has promised to keep them when she grows out of them for her little sister when she gets older.

Scully Yum

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    And if you want to get really fancy, when it's soft press a pretty cookie cutter (snowflake, house, heart) into the Peppermint Bark. When it's set, wrap it in pretty cellophane, tie it with a ribbon and, voila!, you have an edible ornament with a future use for cookies.

I love Christmas!

I like fancy, Nina. What a terrific innovation! I love Christmas, tooooooo.

Yup. I've seen patterns on the net but prefer to make my own. I've been working with beading and sequins (can't find the image of the one with sequins). It's fun and I make them up as I go. Each dress or outfit is unique.

My granddaughter says her friends love them when they come to visit. And she has promised to keep them when she grows out of them for her little sister when she gets older.

Well, Lee, you're just a "design diva!" Have you considered submitting those designs to Mattel's "Barbie" division? Your g/daughters have some wonderful family heirlooms to pass along to their kids, too.

Frannie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Have you considered submitting those designs to Mattel's "Barbie" division?

Egads no way. Right now I have my original designs. The last thing I want is for them to turn into millions of copies. But glad you like them

• blondie
    blondie

I print out pictures from the net on my color printer, then frame them with frames from Goodwill.

Blondie

• alamb
    alamb

Our neighborhood goes neighbor knocking and leave presents on the porches, rings the bells and run.

Some have been:

2 Liter Sprite with a package of microwave popcorn attached. Sign says, "Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, Oh what a good neighbor you is."

2 Liter Rootbeer with a can of chili. Sign says, "Have a rootin' tootin' Christmas."

Snowglobes out of mason jars with glitter and a dollar store figurine in it turned upside down and a ribbon around the cap.

A "Giving Plate" of home made goodies to be passed on when it's empty so the plate can keep on giving.

Cute snowman coffee mug with a spoon dipped in chocolate and crushed peppermint patties.

They are simple but cute and inexpensive if you have an office full of friends or a club. Some of the best gifts aren't clutter. Like movie tickets or Blockbuster coupons with a bag of popcorn and some pop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit