Some Inexpensive Gifts We Can Make for Christmas?

by Frannie Banannie 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Fudge is one. Have you considered making white chocolate fudge?......or adding creme de cocoa for "White Russian" fudge? Or adding Amaretto for "Cherries in the Snow" fudge? Or adding creme de menthe for "Grasshopper" fudge? Chop up some cherries and/or almonds and you can make some really festive and unique gifts.

Also, there's gingerbread men. I copied Emeril's "Gingerbread Men" from his website and there's tons of pics of g/men online to show how to decorate 'em.

And there's Christmas cookies that make great gifts. Kids love to sprinkle 'em with non-pariels and such.

Anyone else got some ideas?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I used to make chocolates.

And I knit. This year my granddaughter is getting a hat and scarf set. And probably more Barbie clothes (she asked for this) Over the last few years I have made about 100 outfits for her dolls. Grandson is getting a sweater and pants if I have time and baby granddaughter is getting a sweater and pants outfit.

One year both my daughters got wreaths to put on their doors. Hand made tree decorations can be fun too

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Wow, what a concept.... making a present instead of buying one! The first thing that comes to mind is a fruit basket. Just get some fruits or berries or melons and place them in a basket with some paper "stuffing". I bet even using a simple cardboard box would look great with a piece of hemp twin wrapped around it to make a bow. If you use a cardbord box you could also use paper from paper bags for the stuffing.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Depends on how you define "expensive." Some people think baking is expensive. My sister, who's permanently skint :( just sent us a $25 Big Lots gift certificate, and that's about half her gift budget for this Christmas. But anyhow: how about

• A loaf of pannettone from your own kitchen. It's mostly white flour, eggs and candied fruit!
    • Herb-flavored vinegar
    • A nice jar of pesto (don't worry about the price of pine nuts; you can mix them with almonds and cashews)
    • A pretty bag of roasted garlic (another genius idea from my thrifty sister; went over very well, too)
    • A package of incense (not more than $3 anywhere!)

And if you're feeling more ambitious:

• An inexpensive piece of jewelry from eBay (I often find beautiful silver pieces with semiprecious stones for about $10, including shipping)
    • A nice, personalized mug or t-shirt from CafePress
    • And for the newly departed jaydub, a little basket of homemade Christmas ornaments!

gently feral

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I have found tiny needlepoint kits with all sorts of themes and subjects that are very inexpensive ($3-$4 range) and everyone seems to enjoy them. (I finish them before giving---but in some cases the recipient might want the "kit" itself and not the finished product!)

There are many sites online where you supply the ingredients for cakes, hot cocoa, puddings, and several other things with dry ingredients---that you can wrap beautifully in a jar or a tin and include directions on how to make them. They stay indefinitely on the shelf and are ready in a jiffy when one wants to make them.

I've been assembling tiny birdhouses I found in the craft section at Walmart, and I was given some beautiful scrap wood (cedar) last summer that I tucked away. I've been gluing the brightly painted birdhouses like tiny villages on 15"x3" slats of wood and painting litle trees and flowers after they're glued on.

I bought a few bottles of that "puff paint" and have painted sheep on more of these same pieces of cedar, with tiny painted wooden hearts that say "I love ewe" on them, for my grand daughters and my nieces.

I had mentioned before on another thread, that I have been collecting pine cones and acorns and driftwood as long as I can remember.....and keep it all in clear boxes for times like this. The only "expense" is buying the small birds to glue onto the driftwood and I add shells, pinecones and whatever looks good to me at the time. Sometimes I add a touch of paint or a small amount of glitter to "glamorize" the pieces especially for the holidays!

I've been making wreaths by pretty much the same method, just bigger, LOL! I usually just work in miniatures though.

That's about it for now....

hugs,

Annie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I used to make chocolates.

And I knit. This year my granddaughter is getting a hat and scarf set. And probably more Barbie clothes (she asked for this) Over the last few years I have made about 100 outfits for her dolls. Grandson is getting a sweater and pants if I have time and baby granddaughter is getting a sweater and pants outfit.

One year both my daughters got wreaths to put on their doors. Hand made tree decorations can be fun too

Really good ideas, Lee. I crochet, so yarn for hats and/or scarves wouldn't be a problem. You'll hafta post some pics of those Barbie clothes you've made.

The first thing that comes to mind is a fruit basket. Just get some fruits or berries or melons and place them in a basket with some paper "stuffing". I bet even using a simple cardboard box would look great with a piece of hemp twin wrapped around it to make a bow. If you use a cardbord box you could also use paper from paper bags for the stuffing.

Those are some really novel ideas, Else! They have plastic wrap in colors now, so that's something that would come in handy for this, too.

how about
    • A loaf of pannettone from your own kitchen. It's mostly white flour, eggs and candied fruit!
    • Herb-flavored vinegar
    • A nice jar of pesto (don't worry about the price of pine nuts; you can mix them with almonds and cashews)
    • A pretty bag of roasted garlic (another genius idea from my thrifty sister; went over very well, too)
    • A package of incense (not more than $3 anywhere!)

And if you're feeling more ambitious:

• An inexpensive piece of jewelry from eBay (I often find beautiful silver pieces with semiprecious stones for about $10, including shipping)
    • A nice, personalized mug or t-shirt from CafePress
    • And for the newly departed jaydub, a little basket of homemade Christmas ornaments

GentlyFeral, those are great ideas. You sound so talented!

I have found tiny needlepoint kits with all sorts of themes and subjects that are very inexpensive ($3-$4 range) and everyone seems to enjoy them. (I finish them before giving---but in some cases the recipient might want the "kit" itself and not the finished product!)

There are many sites online where you supply the ingredients for cakes, hot cocoa, puddings, and several other things with dry ingredients---that you can wrap beautifully in a jar or a tin and include directions on how to make them. They stay indefinitely on the shelf and are ready in a jiffy when one wants to make them.

I've been assembling tiny birdhouses I found in the craft section at Walmart, and I was given some beautiful scrap wood (cedar) last summer that I tucked away. I've been gluing the brightly painted birdhouses like tiny villages on 15"x3" slats of wood and painting litle trees and flowers after they're glued on.

I bought a few bottles of that "puff paint" and have painted sheep on more of these same pieces of cedar, with tiny painted wooden hearts that say "I love ewe" on them, for my grand daughters and my nieces.

I had mentioned before on another thread, that I have been collecting pine cones and acorns and driftwood as long as I can remember.....and keep it all in clear boxes for times like this. The only "expense" is buying the small birds to glue onto the driftwood and I add shells, pinecones and whatever looks good to me at the time. Sometimes I add a touch of paint or a small amount of glitter to "glamorize" the pieces especially for the holidays!

I've been making wreaths by pretty much the same method, just bigger, LOL! I usually just work in miniatures though.

Annie, those ideas show you have so much talent! You're gifted, sweetie! I'll just bet everyone enjoys everything you make.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Frannie Be careful what you ask for

This is a beaded wedding gown and I made the tux for Ken, white shirt and bow tie included

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I think frannie bananie bread sounds good with or without nuts.

I am rather holiday challenged. this is the first year I have had anything to do with the holidays for some 20 plus years. I think potholders are kind of fun. You can get fabric paint and draw some of your own designs on fabic and then sew them into very personal potholders. You can decorate cheap dish towels too. Sew some placemats with matching napkins...I will have to think more on this one--it has been awhile.

Happy holidays!

cybs

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I was just at a craft fair and was fascinated by the crocheted toilet tissue cover with the doll head on top of it. Almost would like to make some of these as a tongue and cheek gift.

• desbah
    desbah

I like giving Christmas-grams to my sisters and children. fill a holiday cup with holiday candy and attach a computer or home made Christmas card and red/green/white helium balloons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit