Should Gay marriages be legalised?

by jwfacts 89 Replies latest members politics

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Yes.

Thanks SNG for cutting though the crap.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

should gay marriage be legalised? yes, of course. it's an obvious answer to an obvious question. they should be allowed to do everything with the same ease and freedom as anyone else.

however, i really wonder why gay people would want to get married. our version of marriage in the west is an abrahamic based institution. i can't imagine gay people wanting to be associated with an institution that screwed them over for so long. i mean, i'm straight and i never plan on getting freaking married again.

but you know, if it's for tax purposes, then ya, whatever, i get it.

in the end, it's about what peaches said. love is the most important thing.

i honestly don't like the idea of the state being involved in my love life. but each to their own. sure it should be legal. i think it is in canada now, and we're hurricane and earthquake free.

TS

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

My personal soapbox? No. Straight marriages should be de-legalized. Governments should not be in the marriage business. At all. They should keep their frickin' noses out of it. And IF I want to marry my box turtle AND I can find someone to perform the ceremony, I should be able to.

Likewise, they should revoke all laws regarding bigamy and polygamy. A woman should be free to have as many husbands as she wants. If a State wants to set a legal age at which someone can get married, that is their prerogative.

AuldSoul

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'll answer this with a story. I was talking to Roxy and Darcelle, two people that anyone around Portland Oregon has probably heard of. Darcelle and Roxy have been together for 38 years, Darcelle just celebrated her 75th birthday (by the way they are both men, but do drag for a living). Anyway Roxy and I were talking about his subject. He said that he and Darcelle never wanted to get married for a myriad of reasons, that its a failed institution, and I can't remember what all. But then he said, but... now that we are the age we are I'm beginning to see the reasons for it. What happens when one of us is ill or has to go into assisted living or a nursing home, even critical care in a hospital or heaven forbid making arrangements after the other dies. All of that made very difficult and sometimes impossible under the current legal system. 38 years of a loving relationship, which should be celebrated. Instead they have to look forward to the fact that even with the right legal documents estranged family members can easily come in and take over in critical situations and make health care decisions contrarty to their wishes. Its hard to look forward to that. Its a shame.

Sherry

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Proviso to my previous post: IF the governments don't get out of the marriage business, then yes, in my opinion it should be legalized.

AuldSoul

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yes definately.

Its not about love, thats gonna be there whether theres a legal document or not.

Its about the law defining who can benefit from its provisions, and at the moment the law says 'we have got a concept and cloacked it with legal benefits, but we have defined very clearly who can and cant have access to those benefits'.

I think its time to move on and let everyone be able to have access to the legal benefits if they choose to. Its not like its harming anyone to do so. There is not a single persuasive argument against it.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Yep !

An interesting story:

We were invited to a couple's house today for Thanksgiving, they are long-time friends of my wife and are not dubs either. Somehow the conversation turned to the recent Texas vote that passed a constitutional amendment that will ban any type of marriage, including civil unions, between same sex couples.

We were pleasantly surprised that both of them supported gay marriages. They talked about knowing gay folks at work and elsewhere and said, "They are the nicest people...and they never try to 'push' their views on others..." They did not know our views yet, so, I felt they were being honest about their views. We then let them know that, "We voted against the amendment, too and we were glad they did, even tho' the amendment ended up passing anyway."

Then, we had the sad news...they said, "our church was really preaching against gays the whole time and told everyone they should go and vote 'for' the amendment. They told us that gays were being 'bussed in' from other states to 'stack the deck'..."

How stupid & gullible can people be to believe that someone could come from another state to vote in our election ?? When I mentioned the residency requirements, they said, "Oh, well supposedly thousands & thousands of gay people moved here...temporarily...just to vote!"

Can you believe that ??? Duh ! So, then I say, "Well, I'm glad y'all voted, anyway, despite the loss." THEN...they said, " Oh, we didn't even bother to vote, because we just knew it was going to pass anyway." They seemed a little indignant when I said, "Y-you...didn't bother to vote ?"

This was only my second opportunity to vote and I take this responsibility very seriously, so it absolutely blows my mind, when I see the apathetic people who don't avail themselves of this privilege. I let the leaders of a cult take that right away from me for 30 years, but, never again. In this very important Texas vote...only a mere 17% of the registered voters managed to get off their lazy asses to voice their opinions. 12% of the registered voters actually changed the Texas Constitution...taking away the human rights of many thousands of our citizens. It will never be known what could have happened, if people like our friends had not made up their minds about the outcome, before the vote, had actually voted.

*sigh* The old saying, "You don't know how much you'll miss something, until it's gone." is so true.

Rabbit

• void
    void

Always a hot topic,

But I vote NO.

Well, I myself am Bisexual. Until recently I only started exploring my dark side. For a long time I felt a terrible ammount of guilt even thinking about the subject. And as it happens only a few months ago I started fooling around with guys. I say fooling around because I dont like to word dating, having a boyfriend, couple...

I think myself its pretty nasty for 2 men or women to get married, its not natural at all, but its fun to explore. Where I live people believe that being gay is wrong and that Japanese people in general are not gay. But there are a lot of allowances for younger people to have some fun, after you grow up you should start a normal family, I myself like that attitude. I pretty much think it is enough.

In general I think gay people themselves dont really care, but this subject is a test on how "open minded" people people who profess to be "open mined" are, kind of like the circular arguements the WT but forward.

Let me ask this to "open minded" people.

How would you honestly feel if your child was gay?
    If they brough back a partner that was 10 years older than them?
    Who was into SM in a big way?
    Openly camp?

Are you open minded enough to have a gay guy say its wrong for gay people to marry?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Its not about the sexuality of it. If people are gay they will do the sex bit anyway, whether they are allowed to get married or not.

So if my daughter came home and was gay, even if I was violently opposed to it, and even given that she couldnt get married, it wouldnt stop her doing anything she wanted to in the privacy of her bedroom.

In my mind its about letting committed couples have the pension and succession rights that married couples have. And at the end of the day, whether you can stomach the idea of one old man poking his willy up another old mans bum or not, if they have lived as a couple for longer than most people are married, and if they have shared propery and a shared life, then one dependent old man should be allowed the pension rights if the other dies, in the same way an old lady would have been. And he should be able to rely on living in the shared house, that they have lived in for years, for the rest of his life if one old man dies, rather than having to sell it to give the dead ones family their half of the equity and facing being a homeless lonely old gay man (or woman).

If my daughter was gay id be OK with it. Id be way more concerned if she married a man who made her unhappy, or if she was gay but was making herself miserable by trying to supress it. I would honestly be happy whatever sex she chose - id be unhappy if she was doing things that were dangerous, like being very promiscuous, or doing drugs, or dating dangerous volatile people.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Void it's pretty obvious from your post you have some self-loating issues going on. Hopefully you can work those out. The first step is learning to love yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit