I'm sure we can do something ... please email me quotes

Uh oh! They've pissed off Simon!

Bu-Bye, Governing Body!

;-)

Dave

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Let me get this straight.....

1. The WTBS sends millions of people around to pass out their literature free of charge to get their message out

2. You are strickly quoting from that literature, you are not selling it or profiting from it

3. That are trying to stop you from what they are doing...

Oh yeah.... sounds like the media would love this David and Goliath scenerio.

Speaking of the Watchtower's legal department, take a look at this gem of an excerpt from an amicus brief they filed with the US Supreme Court in the case of Jimmy Swaggart Ministries v. Board of Equalization of California (493 U.S. 378 (1990))(emphasis added):

Every one of Jehovah's Witnesses is an active door-to-door minister, preaching the good news of God's Kingdom to willing listeners and offering printed sermons in the form of religious tracts, pamphlets, magazines, books and Bibles for a suggested nominal contribution.

This is patently false. Our congregation had several regular, baptized Jehovah's Witnesses who for various reasons did not engage in "door-to-door" proselytizing. These individuals were baptized, and regularly attended the meetings. In our congregation, these individuals were considered to be "Jehovah's Witnesses," despite the fact that they did not engage in the "door-to-door" ministry. The question is whether the WT legal department intentionally made this misrepresentation to the US Supreme Court?

An amicus brief is known as a "friend of the court" brief; it is generally filed by a person/entity who is not a party to the underlying litigation, but who believes their interests could be affected by the outcome. The brief goes on to state that the "Watchtower supports neither party in this case, . . ." but if the arguments in that brief were adopted in the decision of the Court, the outcome would have been beneficial to Jimmy Swaggart Ministries.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

those slimy so-and-so's.... first watchtower observer, now this. they are goin' on the offensive all right. what the HELL are they so !@#$ ^# afraid of anyway? errr....

p.s. if anyone is starting a grass-roots movement to fight this, i'm so in!

• Jez
    Jez

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Quotes website name and address?

Thanks.

• Valis
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Stay clear of 'copywright infringement', regardless of it being WTBTS or any other institution.

DY

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

It's already scary enough that they're a cult. Now they're turning into a corporation. I really hope that they don't pull the same crap with this website.

Boy, I'm pissed. Can't you tell?

laters

kaykay_mp

• Nosferatu
  • AlanF
    AlanF

If the opinion of a good lawyer is that the quotations go beyond "fair use", perhaps because they're not interspersed with critical commentary, then adding a few critical comments in strategic locations might well bring the website in line with "fair use" guidelines that would pass any court test. Of course, the web hosting service might not want to get involved even that far.

I agree that it would be a very good idea to try to get a lot publicity about this latest attack on freedom of speech by the Watchtower Society.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit