Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I haven't read thru the replies, so others have probably noticed this as well; your site meets the standards of "fair use" on at least two, maybe more points.

It's quite obviously not a money making venture for you. It quite obviously IS for research. It quite obviously IS for criticism.

Your quotes are extracted from articles, not reproducing the entire text.

Those points aside, what could the WT possibly claim as monetary damgages? ZERO.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I don't see how they can control what happens with audio recordings that are made at Open-to-the-Public gatherings.

That's a good point. Also if the WTS doesn't want people recording their talks, they should make an announcement at the beginning of each talk to refrain from using all audio and video equipment.

However, they'd create trouble doing that. The more people listen to the talks, the more brainwashed they become. They also need to reach those who are at home sick.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

It would be nice if the media could get involved somehow that would cause enough embarrassment, that they would 'cease & desist' their legal moves. If thousands of rank & file JW's started asking questions about what they hear on TV or read in the papers -- about the massive changes in basic doctrines over the years...it could be a 'silver lining'.

Quotes, simply puts their OWN words there. They hang themselves over issues that have changed...like organ transplants, alternative military service, blood/fractions, cross vs. stake, 1975...

As has been pointed out, the new Watchtower CD's DO NOT match the original older bound volumes. They have EDITED their own history to hide those embarrassing mistakes from the flock of 'other sheep'. Hypocrisy to the 10th power.

That's what they are afraid of...their own words.

Rabbit

• Scully
    Scully

At this point, would it be prudent for as many people as possible to SAVE the Quotes website for their personal use?

If you go to quotes.watchtower.ca and click on Favorites in your browser and select the Make Available Offline option, you can archive the entire site on your own computer.

The Watchtower can't stop us from doing this. They can't force us to take it off our computers. They can't stop each and every one of us from burning CDs and distributing them to anyone who wants them. Remember they DO NOT lose financially - they DO NOT distribute their literature for a price - because if they DID, they would be required to pay the Canadian and American governments a significant amount of back taxes.

Do this TODAY, before the ISP pulls the plug on the site.

Love, Scully

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

They attacked the Watchtower Observer and Quotes. Who else? Maybe too many battles for them?

The thing is that many providers are easily threatened.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

this falls under the realm of information sharing. since this is public information, and you are not doing it for monetary gain or using derogatory language, they can't really do anything - the "cease and desist" is just a hollow threat.... you can ignore it and the best they can do is petition the court to issue a formal injunction outlining the penalities and ordering you to stop . only then can they take any kind of action against you, i.e. seize your assets, if you choose to ignore it. this is the case with any corporate information, anwyay. if the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society wants to sue every single entity who does this, they are going to go bankrupt very quickly. sheesh, the machine slowly rumbles to life...

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

it infuriates me ! i hate thinking they have that much power. i've spent years minimizing the power they've had over my life. takes a lot to piss me off but boy howdy you dont want a 4'10 chubby grandma riled up! (quotes when i get paid first of the month i'll be purchasing your cd on your site to help support you and i apologize that i cant do it sooner)

(also consider some of the more powerful legal journals that may be interested in this battle)

• Simon
    Simon

I'm sure Quotes has already got a backup of his site locally so maybe it would be better to check with him first before you try hammering his bandwidth !

Remember, we want to keep the hosting company on-side :)

Also, remember that while they may not have a case they are a 'big company' and many hosting companies simply will not see the need for them to fight (it not being their fight).

• integ
    integ
    what is the WT so scared of? Truth?

EXACTLY.....

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Would it be funny...if not a little w e i r d...if another religion, like say the Baptists or Catholics would host the site ? I know what Witnesses would think...Babylon the Great, Harlot, persecution. Maybe they could host it 'behind the scenes' for free ? After all, I don't think the WTS could outspend those guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit