Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Don't you mean "Fiery Stooges of Vengeance"?

CG

• Will Power
    Will Power

Unbelievable ! This is equal to strong arm, break you legs, mafia, big bucks and blackmail, scare tactics. They don't care about their message - they care about BEING CAUGHT!

How would the public react to tobacco companys silencing exposers? How many deals did they make in secret to keep the lid on. Where does it end .... MURDER? ABDUCTION?

spiritual murder, spiritual prison - is that any worse? Their underground must be exposed !! I'd be looking to buy rights to the MOVIE !!!

• shotgun
    shotgun

How can it be copyright infringment when all the info is from Jehovah to begin with....so they say!

Quotes did you ask Jehovah in prayer if it ok?

• new light
    new light

This really sucks, but it may not be quite as bad as it seems. Listing the references without actually copying them is legal. Most English-speaking JWs have access to the past few decades of literature and one would think the conscientious among them would take the time to look things up, even if it were available online. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

My thought exactly, Midget. I am not too tech savvy, but I would be happy to learn, and invest in equipment to keep this alive on pirate bandwidth.

Laura of the 'we don't need no stinkin copywrites' class

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    Don't you mean "Fiery Stooges of Vengeance"?

CG

Maybe its:

"Farting Grasshoppers of Incontinence"

Ecc 12:5-7

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

First the Watchtower Observer and now your site. This proves the internet is really hurting them bad.

Devon

• acsot
    acsot

Hey Quotes, this really sucks. I can find out about copyright infringement under civil law, but I'm sure it's pretty similar to Ontario's common law provisions. If you are referencing the publications as to their origin, how can it be infringement? I'll find out when the boss is back from lunch.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Quotes.

You really need to get in touch with a lawyer who specializes in copyrights. There are specific rules spelled out in copyright law about how, and under what circumstances copywritten material may be quoted. Generally one may quote from copywritten material if one is doing so within the context of a review, essay, etc... in order to make one's point. One also must properly attribute the quote to the source. And i think that there is a 500 word limit on large quotations. A good example of how to do it is in the research papers we all had to produce in college and the rules we applied. Those rules were meant, in part, to help us avoid the trap of copyright infringement.

One thing that I've seen that may well be infringement is the wholesale quotation of copywritten works with little or no commentary. That can get one in trouble. Another thing to keep in mind is that copywritten material MUST have a notice of some sort that is IS copyrighted. Otherwise it is public domain. I've, seen several sites that were shut down by the servers because the WTBTS alledged that they were publishing copyrighted material without permission. Those sights were publishing copies of the WTBTS' letters to the congregation elders, and the lack of a copyright notice on those letters made them public domain! Its too bad those folks couldn't afford to fight them. It would've forced the Society to copyright everything making it available to the public through the Library of Congress.

Now I am not a lawyer. So what I wrote should be taken with a grain of salt. But I think the rules I outlined should keep folks out of trouble.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Isn't there a way we can all pitch in and get a server to host these sites? Wouldn't it be more economical to build a server than to pay an internet hosting company? I'm not sure since I'm not a computer geek, but I'm sure that someone should be able to build what it would take to host the sites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit