Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! The more crap the WTS pulls-the more I hate them!!!!!!!

THEY should be served with a "Cease and Desist" on leaving their trashy rags at laundromats, doctor's offices and inside doors lof "not-at-homes". NOBODY wants them!

Annie

• melmac
    melmac

Isn't it funny how the Dubs brag that they have been "fighting for freedom of speech" in the past???

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Please contact a law firm who specializes in intellectual property law.

This is pure bs! I agree with the previous poster who said that if this information is available to everyone, the WTS cannot re-write history! Ahh, so true!

I see we're going to have to start our own public campaign. The media would be a great key in this.

Since you are in Canada, but bethel is in NY, I would like to recommend 2 sources local to NY for you:

The news here has a segment that is specifically for letting the cat out the bag. This would be a great chance to witness the truth to millions! Sorry, guys!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/7OnYourSide/index.html

law firm: http://www.kenyon.com/

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I'm a Graphic Designer. My services are available for whatever it's neede to stop this a-holes. I agree with iiz2cool, somehow we need to do something, start a movement ,come together ('We are the World" playing on the background), my heart is yearning to do something big that exposes the bOrgs as the liars and coward they are. I am willing to try to contact NBC and Telemundo and see if they can find material interesting enough to do some kind of exposé on these fools. God I'm so effing pissed right now. Nothing would please me more than helping people escape the cult.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I gotta agree on the ACLU thing. But would they help a Canadian? (I mean, who would, right? )

And you would think the media would love to chat up something like this.

Mirror'ing the site everywhere would be a good idea. It could also be worked out to where a single PHP or ASP file could be installed on a server and it could serve up the entire site. It would be a double-bandwidth thing, your server pulling the data from a central 'hidden' server, then sending it to the client, but that's not a big deal. And it would make it much easier to put up a virtual mirror. The real host would only be visible to the web site owner. To anyone else, it would look like the data was hosted on your site.

It scares me that the Watchtower has all those free lawyers. It was mentioned that they don't have the money to sue everybody, but the reality is it hardly costs them anything at all to sue. Court costs are nothing. Unless Quotes can get similar free representation (ACLU) they could sue him into a pulp and extract ink from his corpse for the next Awake on "Religious Freedom".

Dave

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Of course most of you are right and this should be dealt with legally. I don't advocate wholesale piracy but I was jumping too far ahead and thinking what then if the WT had a case?

But maybe the website will be safe. I lifted () this off the web:

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted
    work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means
    specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
    teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not
    an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any
    particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial
    nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted
    work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Edit: To add I wish to credit Blondie for mentioning Fair Use and I merely looked it up.

• Simon
    Simon

I'm sure we can do something ... please email me quotes ([email protected])

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The only thing I could see being a problem with Quotes' website is having anything available in full that isn't in public domain (ie the Beware of the Voice of Strangers talk I recorded). Other than that, I don't see any copyright infringement since you're giving credit to the WTS for the quotes.

• Valis
  • blondie
    blondie

Canada?

Maybe this group

http://www.ccla.org/

"The Freedom of no one is safe unless the freedom of everyone is safe"

Welcome to the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA) , Canada?s civil liberties watchdog.
    On this site, you will find information about CCLA?s efforts to protect Canadians? rights and freedoms, as well as information on how to join and get involved. We are a non-profit, non-government law-reform organization dealing with issues of fundamental civil liberties and human rights that affect those who live all across Canada.
    ...continued

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit