Quotes website receives "Cease & Desist"

by Quotes 286 Replies latest members private

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((((Quotes))))))

Just wanted to let you know that I'm in your corner. I'm spread a bit thin at the moment, but if there's a way to help any campaign you think will be worthwhile in order to keep your site up, I'd like to help.

Brenda

• starfish422
    starfish422

Omgosh.......a WOMAN entrusted with precious duties at Glen How's law firm?? My head is spinning.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if this has already been pointed out.

One sentence that struck me in the official letter is (p. 2):

Use of the domain name... and metatags... are expressly designed to capitalize on Watch Tower's good will and is an improper attempt to pass off as an authoritative resource of religious materials published by the Watch Tower.

I think this is the core of the issue: IMO it explains why this site was attacked rather than any other xJW site. Because it is "just quotes," they think they can misrepresent your intention and make your whole undertaking appear legally as an attempt at usurping their positive authority on their own material. Attacking a site which openly criticises the WT would be legally much more difficult (as it would imply an action in defamation, with thousands of testimonies implied, rather than in intellectual property). Would you have stated your general intentions and added critical comments to each one of the quotes they just could not have launched this kind of action. So I think paradoxically you have to show your clearly antagonistic intention rather than "neutrality" and "objectivity". This is very easy to prove from your interventions on other places and the various links to your site. And their attempt at intimidation is worth to receive the fullest possible publicity from this point of view.

From the standpoint of American law as I understand it (admittedly in a very limited way), I think it is very easy to prove that there is an xJW community who has every constitutional right to criticise the WT (including by quoting WT material) and to try and inform people within and without the WT as to the true nature and potential harmfulness of this religion. Your site is part of this action. One possible additional argument, fwiw, is that many people in this xJW community have contributed, directly and indirectly, by their own unpaid work, to the production of the WT's copyrighted material.

• link
    link

The Society would never have picked on Quotes if they thought for one moment that he had the financial clout to be able to face them, properly represented, in a court of law.

One thing is certain; they did a lot of homework before they took this action. They would never tackle someone who could could affored to take the lid off their can of worms.

Its a pity we cannot find a "very" wealthy backer and call their (the Societies) bluff.

link

• mouthy
    mouthy

This effectively doubles the length of the Gentile Times to 5040 years. Thus, the end of the gentile times will be in the Year of Our Lord 4495 AD., not 1975.

Thank you, and please go now and absorb this New Light. ( written above )

Thank You so much for this info Qoutes!!!Dear Brothers at Brooklyn Bethel.... What the hell were you thinking of when you made me >quit my job, not get insurance, not have blood when being operated, ( which caused a ruddy big fuss at the hospital, ) got me beat up often by my "pagan" hubby.. Because you PROMISED me my baby Melanie would NOT go to kindergarten!!!!! she went to lay in the cold, cold, grave at 42 yrs old......

I think you should sue us...... We have a Million people just waiting to EXPOSE your LIES!!!!!!

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

OMG--the WT is on a witch hunt. I wonder how many other sites they will be going after here soon. Maybe they will start making their literature more secretive--for JWs only. When I was a JW I never wanted to place the WT study articles--they just didn't seem appropriate for the general public--the information in them was too heavy and judgmental and condemning of non-JWs. I mostly placed the Awakes. I think that eventually they will stop making the WT studies public and the organization will become more secretive about their real teachings. I'm sure they would liketo cover a lot of this old stuff up. I used the "quotes" site a lot for research. Just reading old WT mags is enough to shock a person to their your senses. If anything the WT literature condemns the WT religion. The WT is always talking about the false prophet and apostate religion and how to idenify these ones--and then one day you realize that it is the WT itself that fits the description.

Hope you can fight this one Quotes...Would hate to lose that site.

cybs

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Maybe they will start making their literature more secretive--for JWs only.

If this happens, you may just convince me there's a God.

Knock-knock.

Hello, my companion and I are taking part in a ministry work this morning. We have magazines, but we're not allowed to show them to you. Would you like to join our organization so you can read them?

THAT would be great!

Dave

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

an idea i think no one came up with . might be to approach a large church org. ie catholic's, gideons, american bible society or baptists etc. who have deep pockets. and maybe not be to happy with the way the wt condemns thier group. it's possible they might want to get involved. the wt would never try to fry any of these powerful groups in court. john

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    Knock-knock.

Hello, my companion and I are taking part in a ministry work this morning. We have magazines, but we're not allowed to show them to you. Would you like to join our organization so you can read them?

THAT would be great!

LOL dave,

I think they would still have the Awake--with the fluff articles to lure a person into the Org. And then they would qualify ( or have the privlege of) reading the special exclusive for JW literature only. this is not totally unusual for a relgion to do this sort of thing. Think of the Mormon religion. When a relative got married in the mormon church her own mother could not attend because it was in the most sacred temple sanctuary (reserved for mormon's only) I could see the JWs going along this route in the future...

cybs

• mouthy
    mouthy

This effectively doubles the length of the Gentile Times to 5040 years. Thus, the end of the gentile times will be in the Year of Our Lord 4495 AD., not 1975.

Thank you, and please go now and absorb this New Light. ( written above )

Thank You so much for this info Qoutes!!!Dear Brothers at Brooklyn Bethel.... What the hell were you thinking of when you made me >quit my job, not get insurance, not have blood when being operated, ( which caused a ruddy big fuss at the hospital, ) got me beat up often by my "pagan" hubby.. Because you PROMISED me my baby Melanie would NOT go to kindergarten!!!!! she went to lay in the cold, cold, grave at 42 yrs old......

I think you should sue us...... We have a Million people just waiting to EXPOSE your LIES!!!!!!

IP: S8Ktvqi/vIkAR8qP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit