pdf's of Raymond Franz's books

by Newly Enlightened 277 Replies latest members private

• Simon
    Simon
    The addition of the two websites logos and websites to the back cover adds further information as the clause makes out.
    Thus there is a very strong case for fair use here. An out of print book was reprinted with addative commentary for non-profit purposes. this is American fair use by definition. I've backed it up with sources a-plenty.

Good grief, your logic is laughable.

So if I take something and put my logo on it then it's suddenly OK because that's "fair use" ?

So I could reprint Twilight, Harry Potter and 50 Shades of Shit and claim it's OK as long as I also add some advertising to it as well?!

You sir, are deluded beyond belief.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Jonathan Drake, are you asking me how I know my feelings?

You're a dumbass. Feel offended? How do you know you feel offended?

• Simon
    Simon
    I'm deleting your crap Jonathan Drake. You may feel it is wrong but that's just your opinion because you don't understand the law.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Don't you dare accuse anyone here of being inarticulate when you open with;

Actually I was just trying to get you to add that clarification that YOU feel to wrong. That's doesn't mean it is.

Is English your first language?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Aww Simon! I was just starting to have fun!

• Simon
    Simon

There's still plenty of grammar and English meaning to pick on ...

I don't think the term apologist applies, there is nothing here to apologize for yet.

Because apologists ... apologize? (not "try to defend something")

I've backed it up with sources a-plenty.

That's like "aplenty"

You could really run "a-mok" with this ...

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    • I'm deleting your crap Jonathan Drake. You may feel it is wrong but that's just your opinion because you don't understand the law.

I don't feel it's wrong. You can do as you like. because I respect you as a person, and your freedom to make choices. further even if it was wrong somehow, it's not my responsibility to correct you.

That is how to properly respond when you disagree with another persons actions. Nobody has been attacked or somehow undignified. I've not made innuendo that Simon is a bad person and I actively believe he is not a bad person. he is a person with like minded goals to my own where watchtower is concerned. But we may go about them differently. So long as benefit of the doubt can be granted to Simon or anyone else, I will grant it for the benefit of the community.

This should be how this entire thing was handled to begin with.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    So I could reprint Twilight, Harry Potter and 50 Shades of Shit and claim it's OK as long as I also add some advertising to it as well?!

As long as they were out of print but still copyrighted and thus fell under the fair use clause, and as long as the advertising was actually a link to further commentary on the subject matter, and as long as you did it all for free, yes it appears this is absolutely correct.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi again Jonathan Drake,

I think the original question at hand is a rather simple one (which I will summarize): Can the book Crisis of Conscience be redistributed without obtaining copyright permission because it is out of print and the author deceased?

Firstly the book has a current copyright owner (Deborah Dykstra who is alive). A copyright transfer took place and so the book is not a copyright orphan.

Secondly if the book was duplicated under the assumption of fair use, it would mean that Dykstra's legal copyright claim was essentially valueless which is quite illogical.

Thirdly the OP's post mentioned the subject of not just reprinting but reselling. This negates the assumption of fair use for educational purposes in favor of financial gain anyway.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JD: You are not a lawyer, so on what other than your aforementioned experience to you claim your expertise?
    because the only thing you've tried to use to achieve some kind of credential for authority is your experience at Canadian universities.

First of...you don't know whether or not I have a law degree. (by the way...I don't...I gave up law school for health reasons and besides, I already had enough letters behind my name).

I gave you more than my experience in dealing with copyright issues at Canadian universities - I also told you that I have consulted with a lawyer about copyright law. A real lawyer. I paid him too.

But you for some reason think you are 100% right.

Yeah...I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit