pdf's of Raymond Franz's books

by Newly Enlightened 277 Replies latest members private

• steve2
    steve2

Rip van winkle asked me:

So when EXJWs offer pdfs of copyrighted WatchTower publications such as Shepherd The Flock book, would that be considered morally or ethically objectionable, Steve2?

That is a leading question. Morally, you could argue the information in the Watchtower publications needs to be disseminated so that others, besides elders, know the content.

A more pertinent question is this: Would pdfs of copyrighted Watchtower publications such as the Shepherd the Flock book be considered a legal infringement of copyright law?

Yes; while these publications are not available for purchase, donations can be made.

The organization could potentially have sites offering pdfs of any of its publications investigated

Complaints that Ray Franz's books are costly does not alter the legal infringements involved in offering free pdf copies - but at least who ever is offering the free downloads does not appear to be trying to make money out of it (I would not know whether this would be a mitigating factor in any investigation - legal views on this anyone?).

• talesin
    talesin

I'm a bit confused about who is selling this book. The Reddit link says that John Cedars is selling it, and has all the details for ordering.

Good for you, Mike & Kim, for correcting that, and contacting the copyright holder.

xx tal

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Steve2, I think you see my point.

------

The PDFs of Ray Franz' books, as I recall, were originally offered by Commentary Press for a small fee.

Anyway, there are hundreds of people (maybe thousands?) who have had access to pdfs of Ray's books. Same with WT/jworg publications. They have helped awaken cult- indoctrinated JWs. How will Deborah Dykstra be compensated from the pdfs all the JW activists have provided to numerous others and said others have provided over the last several years?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I would appreciate if anyone would thoroughly explain how pricisely Lloyd is making profit on this book and provide a link to documentation where this is being gleaned whether in written form or video or audio.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

The argument is that copies are being produced, without consent from the copyright holder, and those copies have links to JWSurvey on the back cover. The assertion is made that directing attention to JWSurvey via the avenue of copyrighted work produced in "bootleg" fashion provides opportunity for profit by strategic advertizing for JWSurvey.

This is not an accusation or position. It is simply how I understand the issue at present.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

The girl next door,

thats my understanding as well.

so the contention is all hearsay essentially. and its hearsay that directly assumes Lloyd is a liar, considering that in the video in which he announced this "competition" he specifically says that a friend made a few copies for "himself, family, and some friends."

so again, where is the proof of profit? There is no evidence being provided the book is being mass produced, no evidence to disprove lloyds own words whatsoever.

I would like to see some. Because unless any exists this is a waste of time and makes the wxJW community look very uninviting and unappealing to any doubting JWs.

I mean no offense to anyone, and quite frankly I'm not even trying to defend Lloyd exactly, but I believe the phrase "put up or shut up" applies.

Evidence? Anyone? Or can it be laid to rest?

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    Jwfacts.com is also on the back of the five or 6 copies that were gifted to Cedars.
  • thankyou
    thankyou

cappytan,

Thank you very much. You are a good man !!!!!!!!

• rebel8
    rebel8

If they were really all that, they'd host the book online an allow open access.

It's stealing. The owner has a right to decide whether or not to give away their property.

It's like saying:

If the restaurant was really all that, the food would be free. It isn't, so just skate out on the bill.

• talesin
    talesin

It's all a bit shocking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit