pdf's of Raymond Franz's books

by Newly Enlightened 277 Replies latest members private

• Simon
    Simon

Jonathan Drake. Your very first topic on this forum was to criticize Cedars and his behavior on his site and bring some disagreement you had with him over here. You stirred up a lot of shit. Now you seem intent on doing it again because no one was being overly critical of him on this topic, just pointing out the legalities and basic etiquette behind what he did that was being disregarded.

The only reason this topic has gone on and on is because YOU have been coming out with utter nonsense and people have quite reasonably been setting things straight and correcting your stream of misinformation.

You've indicated in other topics that you are not an ex-JW so why are you here? Just to troll and annoy people?

• Simon
    Simon
    As long as they were out of print but still copyrighted and thus fell under the fair use clause, and as long as the advertising was actually a link to further commentary on the subject matter, and as long as you did it all for free, yes it appears this is absolutely correct.

Just completely wrong on practically every part.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Interesting that a book dedicated to the struggle for a clean conscience can elicit the most ridiculous ethical and legal contortions to justify it's misappropriation.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

First of...you don't know whether or not I have a law degree. (by the way...I don't...I gave up law school for health reasons and besides, I already had enough letters behind my name).

I gave you more than my experience in dealing with copyright issues at Canadian universities - I also told you that I have consulted with a lawyer about copyright law. A real lawyer. I paid him too.

And this doesn't apply, because that was dealing with Canadian Fair-Dealing. This does not fall under Canadian copyright law. The Fair Use Clause for Canada, as I've shown, is far more strict and does not allow for a reprint of entire works. Americas law does.

so in a sense, you are absolutely right. If this was Canadian copyright law you would be correct. Reprinting the entire work would not be acceptable in Canada. Only a portion, and the portion of copying is still yet very strict.

You WOULD be absolutely right. If any of it applied. But it doesn't.

The fact is, there is plenty of room under AMERICAN copyright law, for an argument in cedars (or whoever printed it) favor under fair use.

consult all the Canadian lawyers you like about American law. It doesn't apply.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Even free distribution of a copyrighted work in its entirety, even if "added to" significantly, does not fall under the parameters of "fair use", in fact that is behavior that "fair use" law seeks to quash.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I already had enough letters behind my name).

May I suggest a couple more?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    The fact is, there is plenty of room under AMERICAN copyright law, for an argument in cedars (or whoever printed it) favor under fair use.

No. The copyright holder is alive and well. She may decide that the words of Franz are too inflammatory and therefore she will not grant any permission. That is the copyright holders right and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

I say again CoC is NOT a copyright orphan. (See my previous post for additional points)

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Okay. I'll stop posting and see if it dies.

i will watch for the grand defeat of cedars and his Romanian friend in the news for copyright infringement.

if it doesn't happen. Then I guess that means you're all wrong. If it does happen, I will post a very public apology for all my "misinformation". You have my word on that.

I very much am a exJW.

As I've stated in another post defending cedars isn't really my interest or my responsibility. I've stated several times the reason for my posts.

I do apologize for anything I posted that rubbed anyone the wrong way, let's not forget tone of voice and body language is severely lacking here and I promise I do hold all of you in a common place of respect and can disagree with you without disliking or hating you or whatever. (Exception being slimfatboy, who I very much dislike because of making light of an issue that is literally killing people)

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Nicholaou, you can do whatever the **** you want. You do not need to ask for permission.

gnd: Even free distribution of a copyrighted work in its entirety, even if "added to" significantly, does not fall under the parameters of "fair use", in fact that is behavior that "fair use" law seeks to quash.

Exactly this.

Wiggling around the fair use clause is just that - wiggling. American and Canadian intellectual property law are not that much different.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    i will watch for the grand defeat of cedars and his Romanian friend I the news on copyright infringement.

I suspect Cedars will obtain the permission required, share the profits, and all will be well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit