pdf's of Raymond Franz's books

by Newly Enlightened 277 Replies latest members private

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am thinking of reporting it.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Maybe we should be discussing how we can legally go about resurrecting the publishing of this book.
  • Listener
    Listener

Newly Enlightened - Would it be worth writing or contacting Deborah Dykstra and pleading with her to have the books reprinted and made available at a reasonable cost? Surely she feels some sense of responsibility towards Ray Franz and the audience he was trying to reach.

If she doesn't want to do this herself, is it possible that she could appoint you as an administrator of sorts, with her authority, so that you could take on the responsibility? Or even give you, or a group of people, the copyrights with an assurance that it would be treated with the utmost respect and on a not for profit basis (perhaps with minimum/reasonable administration costs being covered).

You could explain to her that you already have experience in the publishing business.

You may even want to include a petition with the letter and invite us to add our names to this petition.

Explain the desperation attached to the request. Tell her how difficult it is for the public to obtain a copy and the costs. Also tell her about the latest problems that are arising due to its unavailability and the concern shown by many as to the disrespect being shown to the memory of Ray Franz.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/3t6b3i/crisis_of_conscience_available_in_print_again/

Surely she would be appalled to hear that a pirated copy with an individuals logo printed on the back was being made available as a prize in a competition. Even worse that competition is conditional on the entrant being required to be a subscriber of his and to complete his survey. A personal advantage is trying to be sought from a publication not of his making.

[ video removed ]

I wonder how legal it is to hold a competition that is conditional? Here in Australia we have very strict rules that require registrations, compliance to the law and full disclosure of terms and conditions.

It may be that she would only consider transferring the rights if she was remunerated for this, you could ask her in a non committal way.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Whatever the outcome of this latest ExJW drama, what should come out of it is a mass distribution of the book. Who can make it happen?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Kim & Mikey told me that he was trying to contact Deborah Dykstra and give her some options of getting the book re-printed.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

So when EXJWs offer pdfs of copyrighted WatchTower publications such as Shepherd The Flock book, would that be considered morally or ethically objectionable, Steve2?

There are many people searching for reasonably priced COC and have been priced out. The pdfs have been available for some time and I'm sure they've helped to awaken others.

(FYI I purchased a third edition used copy several years ago from Amazon.)

Newly Enlightened, you don't need to mention the name of the person. I saw your video.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Then more power to the Mike/Kim power duo. Get it done. The issue should be about getting this book mass produced and under $20. Fighting over it just sequesters its amazing ability to wake active JWs.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

the girl next door said, "Maybe we should be discussing how we can legally go about resurrecting the publishing of this book."

To do that, you have to get in touch with the owner of the copyright, then get their permission (in writing) to publish the book that they own the rights to.

By the way, that is what I did when I tracked down "Timothy White" and got his permission (yes, in writing) to re-publish "A People For His Name." All of the royalties go to the author. Tracking down an alias is not easy, but I did it. My motivation was to give something to an early XJW who thought he had failed AND to provide a valuable resource for the growing XJW community.

I think I accomplished both my goals.

• Simon
    Simon
    Then more power to the Mike/Kim power duo

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I just had to remove the video link - every time I see that face I just see Lord Farquaad saying "and that makes me king president see !!!"

:D

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

This just in from Mikey and Kim on the Youtube thread an hour ago:

"Please Share: PUBLIC STATEMENT I just got off of the phone with the LEGITIMATE owner of Raymond Franz's books, Deborah Dykstra. She will be contacing us soon and wanted us to make a public statement in her behalf. Mike & I apologized to her for having the pdf available for that hour or so and we have offered to pay her restitution for doing so. She DOES have plans to publish ALL of Raymond Franz's books and will do so soon. Please stayed tuned."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit