American protester killed in Gaza

by Trauma_Hound 90 Replies latest members adult

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    she wasn't murdered. she was too damn stupid to get out of the way. i don't honor stupidity.

lol @ LB

Another example of the pro-war crowds hypocracy, XW, why don't you whine to simon about this person.

• riz
    riz

please enlighten me, traumahound, exactly how i am being hypocritical.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Hmm maybe some people bitching about me attacking them, when they're not smart enough to realize, maybe the crap they're spewing is considered by others to be insults, and they have been insulting long before I came along.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Peace activist Rachel Corrie remembered on home campus

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20030322&Category=APN&ArtNo=303220941&Ref=AR&cachetime=5

Israel didn't tear gas this one.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Israel's bulldozer must be broke.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20030405/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_american_shot_5 American Peace Activist Shot in West Bank

Sat Apr 5, 2:51 PM ET
    Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

JERUSALEM - An American peace activist working as a human shield in the West Bank was seriously wounded on Saturday when Israeli troops allegedly opened fire on him.

Brian Avery, 24, from Albuquerque, N.M., heard shots fired and came out of his apartment building in Jenin to investigate just as an armored personnel carrier rounded a corner, said Tobias Karlsson, a fellow activist from Sweden.

Both Avery and Karlsson are members of the Palestinian-backed group International Solidarity Movement.

"We had our hands up and we were wearing vests that clearly identified us as international workers when they began firing," Tobias said. "Brian was shot in the face, and it looks like he was hit by a heavy caliber bullet because of the extent of the wound."

Avery was taken to a Jenin hospital but will be transferred to an Israeli hospital. There was no immediate comment from the army.

Tobias said he, Avery and a Palestinian medical worker not with the group were approached slowly by the troops and stood with their hands up for about 10 minutes. There was no communication with the soldiers, who Tobias says fired unprovoked.

Avery was semiconscious when taken in the ambulance, Tobias said. There were few Palestinians on the streets Saturday because of a curfew Israeli troops were enforcing.

Another American member of the group was killed on March 16 while trying to stop an Israeli military bulldozer in the Gaza Strip ( news - web sites). She fell in front of the machine, which ran over her and then backed up, witnesses said.

Israeli officials are still investigating the bulldozer incident that killed 23-year-old Rachel Corrie, a student at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash.

• teejay
    teejay

Israel has to be breathing a sigh of relief over the goings-on in Iraq. With war on every news channel all day long, Sharon (again) has the freedom to do whatever he wishes with his own country's brand of Kurds -- with little international press attention and little reaction when word of an atrocity does trickle out.

The Kurds in Saddam's Iraq took the hint from the U.S. and rose up to enact a coup over the government. Saddam responded by using U.S. supplied bio/chemical weapons to squash the rebellion -- while the U.S. betrayed them by leaving them in the lurch. These same weapons were used with heinous affect in Iraq's war with Iran, a country that the U.S. also supplied in the same Iran/Iraq war. In financial and political terms, a win-win for the U.S. Those silly Arabs!

Saddam's action against the Kurds is one of the shifting reasons behind the current military action against "that evil man." Understood.

What I have a very hard time understanding is why similar actions (Israeli brutality) against similarly innocent people (usually Palestinian women and children) are viewed as marginally benign or excusable? Why do some people have so much difficulty in seeing an almost direct comparison btw what Saddam did against Kurds and what Sharon IS DOING against Palestinians? Why do those who so adamantly see NOTHING wrong in taking Saddam down also see nothing wrong in Sharon WHO DOES THE EXACT THINGS THAT SADDAM DOES? It seems to me that if two persons do the exact same thing in almost the exact same circumstances, one of them can't be given 100% support/"forgiveness" while the other is vilified.

[No response necessary. Just thinking out loud here. The inability/unwillingness of some to think outside of the mainstream continues to confound me.]

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I'm in 100% agreement with you TJ.

• freedom96
  • freedom96
    freedom96

Though I feel bad for this woman who died, she should have thought ahead and not put herself into that situation. No matter how strongly I felt about a cause, I would not put myself in a potentially dangerous situation like she did. Just does not make sense. What a waste.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Just imagine, if our forefathers thought the way you did freedom, we'd be UK citizens still.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit