American protester killed in Gaza

by Trauma_Hound 90 Replies latest members adult

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/16/rafah.death/index.html

American protester killed in Gaza

Sunday, March 16, 2003 Posted: 2:43 PM EST (1943 GMT)

Story Tools Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

RAFAH, Gaza (CNN) -- An Israeli bulldozer Sunday killed an American woman protesting the destruction of Palestinian houses in the Gaza city of Rafah on the border with Egypt, Palestinian security sources and witnesses said.

The woman, identified as Rachel Corrie, 23, of Olympia, Washington, was taken to a hospital, where she died of her injuries.

She had been part of the International Solidarity Movement, a group protesting Israeli actions in the occupied territories and recently appeared in a televised mock trial in which President Bush was accused of war crimes for his support of Israel's actions in Gaza.

"This is a very regrettable incident," an Israeli military source said. "This is a group of protesters who are acting very irresponsibly.

"They are putting everyone in danger, the Palestinians, themselves, our forces, by intentionally placing themselves in a combat zone. We are checking the details of the incident and believe it to be a very regrettable incident."

A member of the group, who described herself only as Alice from London, England, said she and Corrie were seated in front of houses belonging to their friends as the bulldozers approached.

Alice said they had been seated for three hours and the driver of the bulldozer must have seen them before driving over Rachel.

She emerged from underneath the bulldozer saying, "'My back is broken, my back is broken,'" Alice told CNN.

The arrival of ambulances was delayed because drivers were afraid to approach the Israeli forces, Alice said.

Tom Dale said he was about 10 yards from Corrie when the incident occurred. Dale said Corrie, clearly visible in an orange jacket, placed herself between the bulldozer and houses targeted by the Israelis.

As the bulldozer lifted a pile of earth, it moved forward and captured Corrie under its blade, Dale said.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

No comment.

• animal
    animal

I thought Americans were supposed to keep thier nose out of other countries business?

Animal

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Why are there no pacifists in Iraq?? Why dont you wonderfull peace lovers form some human chain of love around one of Iraqs prisons in protest of Saddams cruel treatment of politicial prisoners????

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

"I thought Americans were supposed to keep thier nose out of other countries business? Animal" So why aren't they keeping they're nose out of Iraq? Crazy, your mistaken, I'm not a pacifist, attack family, or friends, and you get to meet my MP5.

• animal
    animal

Whoops.. missed my point....

One of the arguments used by the anti-American crowd, here and abroad, is that we are getting involved in too many countries business. I would think that they would follow thier own rules, as they would like to apply them to this administration.

Animal

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Trauma,

Let me see if this is the way it is with you, Americans are not supposed to get involved in Iraq, but this young woman can get involved in the Gaza Strip. Is that correct ?? This just may be a good warning to the so called human shields that are supposed to be in Iraq.

• ISP
    ISP

Is an MP5 anything to do with audio compression files?

ISP

• Simon
    Simon

I think the 'involvement' in this case is protesting at the actions of the Israelies, who are very much backed by the USA. There is a massive difference between this involvement and the 'involvement' of 200,000 troops dropping bombs etc...

Just MHO

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

"Whoops.. missed my point.... One of the arguments used by the anti-American crowd, here and abroad, is that we are getting involved in too many countries business. I would think that they would follow thier own rules, as they would like to apply them to this administration. Animal" What does have protesting the demolition of Palastian homes have to do with being anti-american? No good arguments, so you have to make stupid blanket statements, I'm not anti-american, nor anyone I know, we're just anti-war, which part of that don't you understand? I'm very concerned that we are going to walk into something, that's going to give us high American casuality's, and leave us open to attacks, because we've put alot of our military in one place, and are fighting a war on multiple fronts, so basically what your saying is that it's ok for isrial to murder un-armed protestors with a bulldozer. Your one sick individual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit