What were your favorite assembly foods?

by NoRegrets 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Back in the Day..

Food at assemblies was unbelievably good..

Everything was made from scratch..Everyone enjoyed getting a meal there..

You could smell the food being cooked while the sessions were on..

Tantilizing aroma`s wafted through the entire building..

It made for a much warmer atmosphere..

It started going down hill in the mid 70`s,when Fast Food was becoming popular..

Like everything else in the WBT$..The food was being Dumbed Down..

Eventually it hit rock bottom

I can`t believe the Crap that was substituted for food,I hear some of you were served..

But..

It was better than what they have now,No Food at all..

.............................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ... OUTLAW

• Glander
    Glander

I used to volunteer for "expediting". Our circuit assemblies were held at county fairgrounds. The circuit would rent an exhibit bldg, and fit it out with a stage and set up hundreds of torture devices called "METAL FOLDING CHAIRS". As a teenager, I volunteered for everything.

In a nearby building they set up a field kitchen. I would take trays of hot food to the foodservice stands in the back of the main hall where the sisters would be slapping together burgers, etc and selling them to the faithful during the dinner break.

One freezing cold November in '63 (Lancaster, CA.) I was going back and forth with trays of hot food when a gorgeous 15 yr old young sister in a white turtle neck sweater caught my eye. She was volunteering in the food consession. When I got a break I purchased a hamburger from her and flirted a little bit in my awkward 17 year old, 6'1", 135 lb, horned rimmed glasses way.

By August of '64 we were married.

Still are.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Glander, that was so romantic. I remember the buritos served at the assemblies. I though they were so good. It was alot of work, but I definitely thought the days with food service were so much better than bringing my own cold food.

• cofty
    cofty

Doughnuts at Murrayfield, Edinburgh.

I worked on buffet distribution for years, the smell from the hot doughnut machines first thing in the morning was superb.

There were always a few doughnuts that never made it to the buffets.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Bacon baps at Twickenham, and then using the last of my tickets on the mint chocolate bars.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I actually crave those fatty drippy pastrami sandwiches to this day.....

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins
    I should mention, I was almost six at the 8 day international assembly in NYC in 1958. The sessions went from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. My father had volunteered our family for food service, so my Dad, Mom, my four siblings and myself all arrived at the cafeteria site at 7:00 am - it was in a large white tent - and we all sat on little stools and peeled carrots. When we were done we were allowed to stand in the long cafeteria lines - in another large white tent - and had a hot breakfast, and also had supper for free. Looking back now, I understand that this was the only way we were going to get two meals a day, as we had saved every penny to drive there, get accomodations, and meals. I have to say, though, it was an amazing spectacle to see thousands of people in line for the various meals, never pushing or complaining - something I remember vividly to this day. I look back today, and wonder what happened.
  • tresdecu
    tresdecu

Still have fond memories (???) of hangin out with my teenage friends on DC mornings eating a muff-n-egg, slushy OJ and a cheese danish.

• Gopher
    Gopher

You might enjoy this Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-miss-the-cheese-danishes-at-the-conventions/320158803526

Last time I checked there were quite a few loyal J-dubs posting on this page which complains about the WTS taking the food service away.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

That's awesome Gopher! Thanks

NR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit