What were your favorite assembly foods?

by NoRegrets 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

So I'm young enough to not remember having hot prepared meals at assemblies, but heard all about it from my parents and the like. But what I do remember were all of the cold sandwiches and institutional snacks and soda. Who else does? Remember the food tickets we started to use? I always remember the bagels with cream cheese fondly in the morning and the cheese danishes. Turkey sandwich or a "hoagie" for lunch with a vanilla pudding and a Shasta soda? Remember all of these goodies?

I was even lucky enough to make turkey sandwiches a couple of times and got involved with "expediting" food stuffs at a couple assemblies. One of my earliest memories of it all was having an old popcorn machine that the circuit had gotten ahold of somehow. It was a tall, red one that was like one you'd see with a street vendor or at an amusement park. It was old and always breaking down but somehow my family had the "privilege" of maning that old machine. It became a family tradition for a time and my parents even named the old popcorn machine "Jasper"! I remember being 5 or 6 and wearing a little paper hat and serving up the bags of popcorn for 3 food tickets each!

Anyway, just a funny memory and wondering what other quirky Watchtower food service stories you all might have!

No Regrets

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

We used have turkey or roast beef dinner after the last day of the assembly.

I usually volunteered in the kitchen which was fun and I learned how to make donuts and French fries etc.

To think that some of the Assemblies people were there cooking almost all day long, the only time they would hear a talk would

be by a speaker set up in the cockling area. We use to also make hamburgers and pizza for lunch.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Cheese Danish!

zed

• earthfire
    earthfire

In Janesville, WI we had really great food. The chili was awesome and in the mornings you could get a ton of different breakfast foods that included pancakes and waffles with fruit and whip cream. That was in the 80's.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes I forgot about breakfast too..

Pretty good food and certainly cheaper of what you had to pay for elsewhere.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

As a kid the food was the ONLY reason I didn't mind attending assemblies. Our Circuit Assembly had the best burgers, pastrami sandwiches, meatball heroes, soft serve ice cream, or you could get an orange float, plus an added bonus was the pizza shop on the corner, which I got busted for, my mother actually walked in their and found me and friends their during the Sunday meeting when we weren't in our seats. Anybody else attend the CIrcuit Assemblies at Sunnyside (where the boxing matches used to be held) and then at the Bliss Theatre which was located just around the corner?

I remember the cafteria style lunch at the District Assemblies, the snow cones, bags of fruit, hero and regular sandwiches.

I think the food served depended on what part of the U.S. you were in, previously some folks here have mentioned some food served at their conventions that I don't recall being served at all, also depends on the years you attended also.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Hogies, i loved those things "then" in Reno NV. I'd be eatin snackin and laughing cause i run out tickets, but i was putting em together so it was cool..

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

woodland hills, soft serve vanilla ice cream

• zeb
    zeb

I recall when they stopped supplying food "as it took the brothers away from the program."

I think the answer was that the young ones who had been hammered to be 'spiritual' (interp. wear the right shoes clothes and get an attendants job) and were not interested in attending in kitchens.

I suggested that congregations who were not scheduled at the convention could volunteer to do the food side of it. rejected.

In the end there was 'new light' that said we all bring our own along. So the expensive kitchen lay idle until it was all removed to make offices.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I really miss that cheese danish and that ain't no joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit