What were your favorite assembly foods?

by NoRegrets 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• Londo111
    Londo111

Swiss Miss Vanila Pudding
    Cheese Danish

• Room 215
    Room 215

The roasted chicken; they didn't seem to take a lot of fuss with its preparation, yet it came out falling-off-the bone juicy and delicious.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Londo111, both of those were my favorite, along with the burritos!

Remember Lemon lime Shasta soda?! LOL

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Wow, most of you got fed better than I ever did at any assembly I attended. At my first circuit assembly we got powdered eggs that turned green as they sat on the serving line.

We ate a lot of "Salisbury Steak" (hamburger with a lot of bread crumbs in it) with gravy.

I got drafted into Food Service, usually vegetable prep and serving line. One circuit assembly I spent the entire time working in the kitchen, cooking and serving. I think I heard 15 minutes of the public talk.

Anyone remember the boxed lunches they used to sell at the end of the assembly? Usually meatloaf sandwich or some such thing.

They'd also sell off all of the extra food. My family came home with a 10-pound provolone cheese one time.

My favorite assembly food was the roast beef sandwich on a sesame seed bun. It came with a packet of sweet barbecue sauce.

Oh! And at an international assembly in Montreal they served soft-serve ice cream with strawberries. Heaven!

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

We used to "donate" food for the circuit assemblies. I would spend a week making homemade tarts, butter, cherry, blueberry and fresh strawberry - all with my own from scratch filling. Everybody would tell be how delicious they were, and they made a lot of money from them. I made a few hundred each assembly until the rules changed. Of course, I was doing this for "approval", and the only positive feedback sisters ever got.

• xchange
    xchange

Spoon burgers and homemade donuts - Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Early 80's.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

This was a great subject! Makes me a little hungry! I would survey that the danishes probably win the most votes overall, so far! I'm afraid I never saw or heard the burritos where I attended (Minnesota). No hot food in my time, either, but it hadn't been too many years previous and I heard a lot about it. I also remember the tickets starting out as square and yellow or blue. Later, they became rectangular and I believe had a dusky WT logo on the top! I also remember when the food service went away, many people went off campus to nearby restaurants for lunch. Where I went to the district conventions, everything was connected by skyway in that town and there was a mall food court only a few minutes walk in the skyway. The place was always gangbusters! Then, the society made the order that they didn't want people to leave for lunch. The food court restaurant managers were nearly weeping (as a tumbleweed blew by) to the few of us that still snuck over for lunch! "Where are your friends?" one poor guy who I think was the owner asked us! He had hired extra help and everything counting on the Watchtower lunch rush that evaporated with no warning. Poor bastard! No Regrets

• Londo111
    Londo111

CoC: I didn't care for any of the Shastas. I drank them, but even as a believing JW, I wasn’t too grateful for the “Slave’s provisions”.

And after the “Simplification” did away with lunch, it made no sense why I couldn’t go across the way and get a cheesesteak and fries from the mall. I didn’t get what would be so bad if the venue decided to allow “worldly” vendors to sell food during assemblies. Didn’t we want “worldly” to come to the assemblies? Wouldn’t it be a “good witness” to them?

• vajeni82
    vajeni82

This is great! I'm a little jealous that some of you got hot food. I remember having the hoagies, pudding and Shasta as well. Don't forget the Fritos corn chips!

I also remember the first time I ever had a bagel was at a convention. I guess in Nebraska we are a little behind.

Did any of you ever leave the session a little early to get in line? We'd always have people leaving for "restroom breaks" about 10 minutes early and magically they'd be some of the first to return with lunch. Lucky!

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remeber Bliss theater and White Castle Hambergers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit