What were your favorite assembly foods?

by NoRegrets 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I loved the hoagies that sat at room temperature for too many hours. A few bites of those on day 1 and I did not have to attend the rest of the convention due to dysentery.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yeah, I remember before the mid 90's rolled around, for I think about 3 or 4 years you never had to pay for the food, it was on contribution basis, before they scrapped food around '95 or something like that. Anyway, I remember the mornings, especially around 11 or so, I could hardly wait for one of those subs with the Italian dressing, one of those partially frozen puddings, a danish & pop.

I remember at a few circuit assemblies, a few sisters brought some of the most awesome apple, cherrie and lemon pies. I get really sad thinking back to those days for some reason.

• SadElder
    SadElder

JeffT: Jack Daniels and other special spirits in our motor home during the session with the convention heavies.

Can't think of one assembly food item that could be called a favorite.

Always felt sorry for those brothers that slaved away in the kitchen during the hot meal days.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Don't feel too sorry. I used to take food duty just so I wouldn't have to sit in the sun next to brother hygiene challenged.

• Glander
    Glander

The best meals were the hot lunches put together by the sisters when a KH was being built. I was once in charge of coordinating the meals. Easiest, best job ever.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

My dad was the kitchen overseer at all the circuit assemblies when I was little. I helped make the egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches. I remember the huge griddle where the eggs were cracked and cooked....real eggs!!! The donuts came in and I got first pick because we had to be there at 5am to get it all ready in time. I had 2 friends with me and we got to roam the dark assembly hall in those early hours playing hide and seek. We made Salisbury steak and baked chicken. The semi frozen chocolate pudding was the best!! The only bad thing about being the overseers daughter was that I got dish duty every time. Cleaning the huge pans and sanitizing them and drying them. I couldn't wait to be 16 to work in refreshments in the secondary cafeteria but they did away with all that right before I turned 16.

That assembly hall has since been torn down and a new one built sans kitchen of course.

(I did feel special having kitchen access lol)

• Glander
    Glander

joyful - thanks for the memories - I can relate!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had to look up bacon baps, I didn't know what they were. For the other yanks, it's bacon on a hamburger bun, who knew? I never really liked assembly food, it was OK, better than having to drag a cooler in I guess. The danish were OK and the puddings if they were not frozen solid. I never could eat the sandwitches, they made me gag. I feel sorry for the moms having to travel to a convention, packing dress clothes and everything else needed, then have to plan meals and pack food for everybody, as if it wasnt tough enough getting kids to sit for the for long boring session. I m so gladg not to have to do that anymore. I can have real vacations now.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

In Minnesota, we had the Espinoza sisters who made fresh tacos; they fried the shells right there.

3 for a buck.

Follow that with an ice cream sandwich, and some of that great strong coffee.

When I was a teenager I helped saw up the lumber and nail together the food stands someone mentioned.

The stainless steel trays you push along and they served you food, just like the cafeteria lunch line. Try staying awake at all of the sessions in an 8 day assembly when you eat that much food.

Or you could just go to the refreshment stand for a burger.

Ah, running buckets of ice to the refreshment stands when I was a kid; what a great way to avoid listening to the speaker!

• Yura Ivanova
    Yura Ivanova

Certainly none of the dishes dished up by the not so faithful or discreet kitchen slave of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Cult............yeeeeeeesh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit